• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 1)

Anna N

2 hours ago, Sparren said:

Biff Rydberg is a Swedish speciality that I made for dinner last night.
Pan fried diced fillet of veal, sauteed diced onion and deep fried diced potatoes served with egg yolk, parsley and whipped cream with mustard.DSC_9187.thumb.JPG.84411465a79600b4f5921

I like this. Is there a story behind it? How do you make it (your way)? Looks simple enough but not sure what cut of meat, kind of meat and spices you use.

In Norway I came across "Finnbiff", a dish that is also popular in northern Sweden (and Lapland in general). Let us see how you make it, too, someday maybe?

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

I would be happy with any one of these dinners.  Should not look at the Dinner Thread early in the morning.

Shelby, we had almost the same dinner.

Wings%20and%20Salad%20January%2022nd%2C% 

Except I was lazy last night and made a salad rather than fries. Not being a salad lover,  I would have much preferred fries.

Ham%20January%2021st%2C%202016-XL.jpg

Thursday night baked a ham

Ham%20dinner%20January%2021st%2C%202016%

Potato gratin and rapini.

• Like 16

17 hours ago, BonVivant said:

I like this. Is there a story behind it? How do you make it (your way)? Looks simple enough but not sure what cut of meat, kind of meat and spices you use.

In Norway I came across "Finnbiff", a dish that is also popular in northern Sweden (and Lapland in general). Let us see how you make it, too, someday maybe?

There´s not much of a story other than it originates from the famous Hotel Rydberg (1857-1914) in Stockholm and that it´s a luxury version of "Pytt i panna". Pytt i panna is a traditional course made of diced potato, onion and diced leftovers from meat, sausage, etc, served with fried egg and sliced beet root. This luxury version have larger dices and, the parts are not mixed on the plate but instead layed out in three sections toped with egg yolk. The beef is often high quality meat like beef filé.
I have actually planed for another course but the potato sticks i planned to double fry was a bit overcooked so I diced them and double fried. The meat is a diced tail of veal filét fried in a pan with butter. The onion is just sautéed in butter on low temperature until soft and transparent. I served it with raw egg yolk (63-65c is better) on top, grounded black pepper, parsley and whipped cream flavoured with Dijon and skånsk mustard.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sartoric said:

image.thumb.jpeg.8fdab24af136dfb9e82b26d

Is this bright yellow color natural or were the potatoes cooked in something other than plain water? I don't think I have seen potatoes this yellow before...

Vlcatko

24 minutes ago, Vlcatko said:

Is this bright yellow color natural or were the potatoes cooked in something other than plain water? I don't think I have seen potatoes this yellow before...

I think it's the light Vicatko, they were cooked in plain water...then mixed with red onion and bacon sautéed in butter. 

The photo was taken next to a range hood with the light on.  

I try to use natural light, but sometimes it's too dark outside !

• Like 1

Mixed salad (cucumber, carrot, brussel sprouts, arugula, young spinach and red mangold) with purple potatoes, Cheshire cheese, yogurt dressing (greek yogurt, milk, hemp oil, S&P) and hemp seeds

23939347153_fcc1f96764.jpg

Edited by Vlcatko (log)
  • Like 4

Vlcatko

Chicken thighs, garlic (~2 heads worth), celery, crushed black peppercorns, sea salt, water, simmer. (Chicken browned first then extra oil poured off)

Sautéed collard greens.  White rice.

DSCN7946a_800.jpg.bf56db3903b614a68e6aae

• Like 4

Broke down last night and ordered in Chinese food.  For the most part tried to order things that would tolerate freezing and reheating or repurposing.  When there is only one of you even a small order is a lot of food.

image.thumb.jpeg.aac1c311b2a7674d3450bbe

Egg roll, chicken wing and two kinds of dumpling -- meat on the right and vegetarian on the left.  The peanut sauce did not seem appropriate with anything!

image.thumb.jpeg.3a03463207081e5ee889880

This was very enjoyable. Green vegetables in a garlic sauce and honey and garlic spareribs.  

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Sparren said:

Pytt i panna is a traditional course made of diced potato, onion and diced leftovers from meat, sausage, etc, served with fried egg and sliced beet root. This luxury version have larger dices and, the parts are not mixed on the plate but instead layed out in three sections toped with egg yolk. The beef is often high quality meat like beef filé.

Thanks, Sparren! Sounds a bit like a fancy version of Bauernfrühstück which was invented to use up previous days' leftovers.

• Like 1

Yesterday I made Filé Oscar. A course that was first served 1897 for the Swedish king Oscar II who salubrated 25 years at the throne.

Filé of veal (56c sous wide) with choron (or bearnaise) white steamed aparagus toped with a lobster claw and double fried french fries.

DSC_9189.thumb.JPG.2078fc64956195aed8f76

DSC_9192.thumb.JPG.de1b2dd13c3c259509fa4

• Like 17

Ann T – If I could make the bread that you make, the bakeries and grocery stores here wouldn’t make another dime off me!

Got inspired by the bad weather – breadmachine bread:

DSCN1206.JPG.b59341b481d73bf5ecc7091ce5e

Nice crumb and it tastes good – it will make great toast, too:

DSCN1209.JPG.3db48ed0b89303dd0d7d6fb42de

We found some of Mr. Kim’s BBQ in the freezer when we cataloged it yesterday, so dinner last night was BBQ sandwiches, sweet potato fries (TJ’s frozen), the last of the split pea soup and salad:

DSCN1217.JPG.4c43ba3a62c86adfd76df6b8dcc

Sadly, the BBQ was sans slaw since I had no cabbage.  Still really good, though.

DSCN1216.JPG

• Like 11

I had fun with some beautiful kinky carrots today, plus a couple icicle radishes.

"Balsamic Glazed Carrots & Radishes".

DSCN7950a_54a_comb_800.jpg.07bc74c21bd24

DSCN7964b_800.jpg.c20a22331b32410eb67d94

Oh, plus round two of the Garlic Chicken w/ Celery from before, this time on fresh spaghetti [Bettini Pasta].

DSCN7956a_800.jpg.9c033882af4b212c03842a

• Like 9

Got home a bit late. Tired, cold and hungry. Had some beef in the fridge. Had what passes for hamburger buns round here, so I made myself a couple of burgers.

Beef was two-cleaver chopped rather than minced/ground. Haché, to be precise, if French. Salted and sprinkled liberally with powdered chilli pepper. Pan fried with a lot of flips. served on top of red onion, tomato and lettuce with more S+P. Ate this one, then made another.

hamburger3.thumb.jpg.1aff676ec2084ebfe22

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was away from this thread for a few days - I am overwhelmed by the great meals - and the excellent photography. My photography definitely needs work.

A few recent meals:

One of my favorite easy, one pot winter meals: kielbasa, cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes and asparagus all simmered together. I often use green beans rather than asparagus but the beans in my supermarket looked inedible to me.

DSC00509.thumb.jpg.63aeb8a28220a7323e4b4

Cider brined pork chop over creamed leeks with sautéed apples and roasted potatoes and garlic.

DSC00553.thumb.jpg.9f41a3bc8edf294f765d3

One of my favorite uses for left over roast chicken: chicken, peppers, mushrooms sautéed in olive oil with lots of garlic over pasta. 

DSC00543.thumb.jpg.280132e7e4941bc7958bd

• Like 10

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

24523618101_c038dd040b.jpg

Blizzard bird. Free-range, air-chilled, duck fat rubbed, and vertical roasted. In addition to the bird, potatoes roasted in the drippings below were great.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 17

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?