• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 1)

Anna N

image.thumb.jpeg.c93fbef3f19a95f7c788c0fimage.thumb.jpeg.2af977bf299ca4598cc32e0image.thumb.jpeg.371b09f9e63504be18cd331image.thumb.jpeg.4896ee25e11d1486187df44Roast chicken, with pesto under the breast. Veggies are chat potatoes, pumpkin, parsnips, shallots, zucchini and baby Roma tomatoes. Served with Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon and pan juice gravy.

• Like 16

Mushroom fritata for one

00222.thumb.jpg.ea0446cf6623a3781b3fc162

Pork roast with apple/mustard sauce and raost veg

130.thumb.jpg.09da338ab9a4cfacc36eeb3108

Big ass pork chop with spiced smoked yams

025.thumb.jpg.b6e60011c8ea23ef02ab0b0bb3

Strip steak with madiera pan sauce, sauteed romaine, mushrooms and potatoes

095.thumb.jpg.30f51cf80575bb64bd6d3b62e5

Adobo pork tenderloin with roast veg

046.thumb.jpg.55c93add5883d8f6ac78ebd2fd

Turkey breast stuffed with dates and mexican chorizo and a roasted tomato puree (with cumin), diced yams and yukons

0251.thumb.jpg.879dee4990639c4c937af2acb

• Like 18

Braised pork tongue [Love Handle] sliced up and browned in an oiled pan, a headcheese egg [Love handle], fried farm eggs [eggs: Schacht Farm], coarse Braunschweiger [Claus' German Sausage & Meats], icicle radish [Nading Farm].

Semolina bread [Amelia's Bakery].

Winter spinach blanched in oiled simmering water, drained, dressed w/ ponzu sauce & white pepper.

DSCN7854a_800.jpg.8d2d1243ed770aefcae63b

DSCN7858b_800.jpg.972ea371d69a400e47aa25

Edited by huiray
Added pic (log)
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, kayb said:

@BonVivant, I really want to come have dinner with you.

Haha... you would be quite welcome to join us.

Though, we don't eat curries and are slow eaters.

I enjoy looking at everyone's meals here every day! Thank you, all!

------

Dinner last night was my usual oven roasted brill with huge roe sack. I love brill and I love roe!

On January 15, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@liamsaunt,

Your salmon burgers look lovely.

What is the herb sprigging out? It almost looks like clover on the left side of your photo. Pea shoots? Then on the right hand burger it looks like mizuna?

I have to compliment you on your food photography. You are quite talented.

Thank you!  The greens on the burgers are baby arugula.

I had some family over for a dinner and to watch the Patriots game (yay Patriots!).  When I have groups I often serve buffet style.  I usually don't take photos of group meals because it is so hectic but I decided to try and take some yesterday.  I made a mustard coated rib roast

569bafa294b81_ribroast.thumb.jpg.18c08cc

sliced

569baf9f8e428_slicedribroast.thumb.jpg.6

there was also chicken with mushroom white wine dijon gravy for those who don't eat red meat (like me!) but I did not get a picture of that for some reason.

sides were mustard roasted potatoes

569bafa691462_mustardroastedpotatoes.thu

whisky glazed carrots

569baf9c5718b_whiskyglazedcarrots.thumb.

spinach gratin

569baf99899bd_spinachgratin.thumb.jpg.a5

onion rings

569baf966e822_onionrings2.thumb.jpg.201d

There were also homemade dinner rolls, but I did not get a picture of those.

I planned to serve an apple crumble for afters but we finished eating too close to game time to have time for dessert.

• Like 22

rotuts, its so simple, do a batter with cornstarch, flour, 1:1,  water, some garlic, ginger, s+p, chilipowder, pre-cook the cauliflower florets for abt 7 min, drain, coat with the batter and deep fry. serve with homemade sweet+sor sauce.

Edited by ninagluck (log)
  • Like 4

Sartoric - that crunch mix sounds delightful. I will have to look for it. The peanuts look dry-roasted. One of my Farmers Market vendors sells little $1 packets of corn nut, pepitas, spiced limas, as he does dark roasted in the shell peanuts for me on site. Hmm - may have to make my own blend ;)  The fried shallot is everywhere here in Indian and Asian markets as well as the peas. 

• Like 1

Last night, cranberry beans:

CranberryBeans01162016.png

...very pretty before cooking.  Not so much after, unfortunately.  I flavored them with shallot, garlic, and lots of sage stalks.  And salt at the beginning, which I think shall be my practice from here on in.  Served with parmesan, Boursin and bread.

The inspissated bean broth was perhaps the best part.  Will probably cook up the leftovers with pasta.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
Problems with new forum software (log)
  • Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Vertical roasted chicken.  Veggies roasted in the pan with the chicken were potatoes, carrots, parsnips, celery, Brussels sprouts and onion.

vertical-chicken.jpg.b5b8ae1f058596b530a

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Yesterday’s football snacks – shrimp cocktail:

DSCN1170.JPG.5c08583a0780b4faadd82f41554

I used Alton Brown’s method of broiling shrimp, without the brining and even without the brine they were so moist.  I’ve liked Ina Garten’s method of roasting,too.  I don’t think I’ll ever go back to boiling shrimp.

Pickle-y stuff:

DSCN1171.JPG.b64c4f39245ad689add8fccfe99

Went very casual with this stuff!

Wings just out of the frying pan:

DSCN1172.JPG.0ae60ce57bc3fc3d52b9ad0014c

Sauced:

DSCN1175.JPG.437d84b983abcde916e602ef6cb

With bleu cheese dressing and celery and carrots.  Mr. Kim’s are on the left with just Buffalo sauce.  Mine on the right have very little Buffalo sauce and lots of honey. 

Cheddar-stuffed pretzels and mustard sauce:

DSCN1176.JPG.659a5f2a059e9c4a321e889d87f

• Like 15

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Sartoric - that crunch mix sounds delightful. I will have to look for it. The peanuts look dry-roasted. One of my Farmers Market vendors sells little $1 packets of corn nut, pepitas, spiced limas, as he does dark roasted in the shell peanuts for me on site. Hmm - may have to make my own blend ;)  The fried shallot is everywhere here in Indian and Asian markets as well as the peas. 

Yes, heidih, it is delicious although a product of laziness on my part. Our local shopping centre has a Filipino grocer, so it's easy to grab a 100 g packet for AUD $1.40.

I'm trying to replicate the crunchy salad toppings from Myanmar where we did a cooking school, there was no packaging and I'm finding it difficult to establish what those little crunchy things were. These are close, but not the full deal.  I'll keep trying though.