• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 1)

Anna N

Fried rice.

DSCN7702a_800.jpg.944f26c1321aef7db5eca7

Two eggs beaten w/ some water, ryori-shu, salt, white pepper; then simply fried in a very hot pan w/ generous oil. De-panned, sliced into strips, reserved.  Hot oil, hot pan, garlic, marinated sliced deboned chicken thighs, quartered Thai eggplants, 2-day-old rice, lots of chopped scallions; mixed in sliced reserved omelette, tossed around. Served.

Plus a couple of small bowls of choy kon tong.

DSCN7706a_600.jpg.6a24887897abdfef3c88be

• Like 3

Dinner the other night was sirloin tip roast, cooked SV at 130F for 8 hours with Sansaire Steak Aging Sauce (more here: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/152249-sansaire-searing-kit/?do=findComment&comment=2041134), seared with their searing kit, and served with steamed and buttered carrots and parsnips and salad.

sirloin-tip-roast.jpg.a720c797e80859ceab

sirloin-tip-sliced.jpg.be621561e4433a8b2

• Like 15

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

4 hours ago, sartoric said:

An Asian flavoured chicken soup with tomatoes, basil and spinach.

He likes his with crushed nuts and chilli vinegar.

image.jpeg

i like mine with fried shallots and fried garlic.

image.jpeg

Looks nice, sartoric. Perhaps you might consider adding even more basil next time. :-)

Following on from the "Gardening" topic, here are a few stir-fries that I did in the past with lots of (Thai) basil (just use standard Western basil instead, it doesn't have to be Thai basil): here, here (scroll down), here (scroll down). Here's another soup w/ loads of Genovese basil *and* a noodle/pasta sauce with loads of basil also - here.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, huiray said:

Looks nice, sartoric. Perhaps you might consider adding even more basil next time. :-)

Following on from the "Gardening" topic, here are a few stir-fries that I did in the past with lots of (Thai) basil (just use standard Western basil instead, it doesn't have to be Thai basil): here, here (scroll down), here (scroll down). Here's another soup w/ loads of Genovese basil *and* a noodle/pasta sauce with loads of basil also - here.

Thanks huiray. Damn that Mei fun with mince pork, tomato and basil looks good, and I've only just started preparing something else with mince pork, tomatoes and basil. Another time !

Nem Nuong with Nuoc Cham.

The patties are made with pork mince, ground roasted rice, fish sauce, spring onions, garlic and pepper.

The dipping sauce is water, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, fresh lime juice, chilli, garlic and pepper.

To accompany is lettuce, basil, mint, baby spinach, tomatoes and pineapple.

image.thumb.jpeg.66d29e942cbf96084ebd5b0

You can wrap them, or use a fork !

image.thumb.jpeg.ce211f683928452f74b74b5

• Like 14

A ramen hack.

"Ibumie Penang LadMee Perisa Lada Pedas" (I like this one) augmented w/ pastrami, Fish Tofu [CF Trading], yu choy sum, scallions, and extra ground white pepper.

DSCN7710a_800.jpg.94383f9753d63b9e65a43e

----------------------------------------------

Hot & Sour Soup. The latest version. :-) 

DSCN7719a_800.jpg.0dcaf61147d1f8e93e2337

Most of the stuff that went in.

DSCN7717a_800.jpg.e934c0f307d8591353e584

Top, L-R: Soaked & trimmed Golden Needles (金針) (lily buds); fresh ground white pepper; rinsed sliced mustard stems (榨菜).

Bottom, L-R: Pork slices marinated w/ good Shaohsing wine, corn starch, double fermented soy sauce [LKK], pepper, hon-mirin [Takara], fish sauce [Red Boat]; slender bamboo shoots cut into chunky sticks; deep-fried tofu puffs ("tau pok") sliced up; baby corn sliced into halves; rehydrated & trimmed wood-ear fungus; bean curd sheets soaked & ripped into smaller pieces.

Other stuff that went in and not pictured included chicken stock, oil, a beaten egg drizzled in, Chinkiang vinegar (lots), yet more white pepper, some salt. I might be missing listing one or two things...

• Like 11

Cuban Mojo Rotisserie Chicken

Simple, but killer good! I like to truss the bird before it goes into the marinade. This just makes the follow on steps easier. This baby has spent the night in the arms of Morpheus (and olive oil, garlic, orange juice, lime juice, cilantro and a little S&P, all "zipped up" by an immersion blender).

Here she is just out of the marinade.  Beautiful, isn't she?

IMG_0028.thumb.JPG.14a498ce04682f4d01afc

Loaded up on the rotisserie.

IMG_0030.thumb.JPG.ae0434b3abdb7708fbe7b

I just got a stand-by generator  that runs on propane and bought my own twin 120 gal propane tanks for the purpose. I had them run the gas line to my gas grill. No more worrying about running out of propane half-way through!!!

Here is what we have been waiting for. I served it with garlic cilantro lime rice and broccoli rabe.IMG_0037.thumb.JPG.b795e0a4b7e878646512f

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.8491ec582a8f46e860564

• Like 15

Pizza.  Store-bought thin crust topped with sauce, mozzarella, chicken apple sausage, mushrooms, green onions and red bell pepper.  Cooked in the Breville Smart Oven.  In case you are wondering about the weird edges, I had to trim the crust a bit to fit in the largest size vacuum bag by sealer will accommodate (bought a 4-pack of crusts at Costco). 

pizza.jpg.0b0923f2d29c8a915a1b51ea97c880

• Like 15

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

The holidays were really busy crazy (in a good way) so I haven't posted in awhile.  Here is tonight's dinner: pasta with bacon, ricotta and peas. And a salad,of course. Last night: chicken with peppers, olives and tomatoes, with potatoes simmered in olive oil and white wine. Both recipes are from a cookbook my daughter gave me for Christmas - The Italian Country Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper  (the Splendid Table commentator). I think it was remaindered ( she's on a badly paid post-doc) and it has good recipes.

568dc893e0a15_dinnerWed.thumb.jpg.5dfe09568dc69702697_dinnerTues.thumb.jpg.37648

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina