• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

Thanks for the Crepes – I know exactly what you mean about the fried flour tortillas elevating the meal.  We used to spend Sundays at a BBQ chain restaurant called Red, Hot and Blue because we could sit at the bar, watch football, eat and smoke (Mr. Kim could even smoke a cigar – ah, the good old days).  Their BBQ nachos were special not because of the BBQ (fine, but not exceptional) or toppings (the items you’d expect), but because they used fried FLOUR tortillas instead of corn.  Just delicious.  They have since closed, but we use the flour tortillas most often nowadays.

Dinner last night:

DSCN1247.JPG.18332ba25f48ce1227edcc06f1e

Creamed corn, smothered cube steak w/ gravy, roasted sweet potatoes w/ coconut cream, Brussel sprouts and some of my white bread.  Looks good, but a fairly blah meal, except for the sweet potatoes and bread.  The cube steak never got tender, the gravy was WAY too salty and the spouts were skunky.  Sigh.

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

Thanks for the Crepes – I know exactly what you mean about the fried flour tortillas elevating the meal.  We used to spend Sundays at a BBQ chain restaurant called Red, Hot and Blue because we could sit at the bar, watch football, eat and smoke (Mr. Kim could even smoke a cigar – ah, the good old days).  Their BBQ nachos were special not because of the BBQ (fine, but not exceptional) or toppings (the items you’d expect), but because they used fried FLOUR tortillas instead of corn.  Just delicious.  They have since closed, but we use the flour tortillas most often nowadays.

A recent lunch:

DSCN1240.JPG.4b62cd62ccbf261480a92f9e6cd

Tuna fish salad and cheese sandwich, pickles, some of my favorite olives – castelvetranos – and blizzard Funyuns (gotta have those). 

Dinner last night:

DSCN1247.JPG.18332ba25f48ce1227edcc06f1e

Creamed corn, smothered cube steak w/ gravy, roasted sweet potatoes w/ coconut cream, Brussel sprouts and some of my white bread.  Looks good, but a fairly blah meal, except for the sweet potatoes and bread.  The cube steak never got tender, the gravy was WAY too salty and the spouts were skunky.  Sigh.