• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

Flavored stinky tofu stir-fried with stuff.

DSCN7915a_800.jpg.d4fedaf0b91e126d54083d

"Spicy Tofu" (that's what the English on the package says, HEH!!)** rinsed then sliced up. Hot pan, generous hot oil; stir-fry sliced ginger (goes in first), chopped smashed garlic, the sliced tofu, toss around, high heat. Add in thinly-sliced carrot, sliced kai-lan stems, fresh shiitake mushrooms cut into large slices, stir-fry; add in a mixture of soy sauce, oyster sauce in a bit of water, toss around. Thicken w/ some corn starch slurried in water.

** The stuff is actually 調味臭豆腐 which means "flavored stinky tofu". This one:

DSCN7935a_600.jpg.55d201e44468d7ec38291a

I wonder about folks who pick it up expecting a "spicy tofu" - y'know, a tofu with some chili heat...- then get quite a shock when they open it up and their nostrils tell them it's not quite what they thought. :-) Mind you, the smell permeates through the packaging anyway so one would think they might get an idea of it if they paid attention... :-D

Eaten voraciously with lots of rice, of course. Very tasty.

DSCN7918a_400.jpg.b2f870a0a8db45b404e7f7

Also with Teochew-style Kiam Chye Arp Teng (鹹菜鴨湯) ("salted vegetable" duck soup) (or: Kiam Chye Ark Th'ng).

DSCN7931b_800.jpg.9ec4f91ece065a5b1c9a8c

I used recipe P14 of "Uncle Lau's Teochew Recipes" (Epigram Books) as a jumping-off point and riffed off it.

Duck legs, skin-on, most of the fat left on, cut into pieces and blanched briefly in hot water. Fresh clean water & chicken stock (I skipped the pork stock in the recipe), the duck pieces, galangal slices (not in the recipe), LOTS of fresh ground white pepper (maybe 2 Tbsp or more), wet salted/sour plums ripped apart, some of the plum pickling liquid; trimmed cut-up pickled mustard ("harm choy" a.k.a. "kiam chye")¶¶, simmer (covered). Near the end, sliced-up Kumato tomatoes, a 2-second pour of VSOP brandy; simmer for a little while more, plus extra ground white pepper. Water added once or twice during the simmering to restore the volume. Total time probably around 2 hours (not sure, didn't really keep track).

¶¶Pre-soaked for a couple hours with a couple changes of water. The stuff is the usual sour/salted mustard found ubiquitously in certain Southern Chinese/SE-Asian cuisines, available here in Chinese/SE-Asian groceries commonly in packages of individual half-plants sealed in with some of the pickling water. The vegetable used is the large-leaved mustard, "kai choy". I've shown various types of soup using this pickled mustard in many posts here on eG.

huiray

huiray

"Spicy Tofu" (that's what the English on the package says, HEH!!)** rinsed then sliced up. Hot pan, generous hot oil; stir-fry sliced ginger (goes in first), chopped smashed garlic, the sliced tofu, toss around, high heat. Add in thinly-sliced carrot, sliced kai-lan stems, fresh shiitake mushrooms cut into large slices, stir-fry; add in a mixture of soy sauce, oyster sauce in a bit of water, toss around. Thicken w/ some corn starch slurried in water.

I wonder about folks who pick it up expecting a "spicy tofu" - y'know, a tofu with some chili heat...- then get quite a shock when they open it up and their nostrils tell them it's not quite what they thought. :-) Mind you, the smell permeates through the packaging anyway so one would think they might get an idea of it if they paid attention... :-D

Also with Teochew-style Kiam Chye Arp Teng (鹹菜鴨湯) ("salted vegetable" duck soup) (or: Kiam Chye Ark Th'ng).

I used recipe P14 of "Uncle Lau's Teochew Recipes" (Epigram Books) as a jumping-off point and riffed off it.

Duck legs, skin-on, most of the fat left on, cut into pieces and blanched briefly in hot water. Fresh clean water & chicken stock (I skipped the pork stock in the recipe), the duck pieces, galangal slices (not in the recipe), LOTS of fresh ground white pepper (maybe 2 Tbsp or more), wet salted/sour plums ripped apart, some of the plum pickling liquid; trimmed cut-up pickled mustard ("harm choy" a.k.a. "kiam chye")¶¶, simmer (covered). Near the end, sliced-up Kumato tomatoes, a 2-second pour of VSOP brandy; simmer for a little while more, plus extra ground white pepper. Water added once or twice during the simmering to restore the volume. Total time probably around 2 hours (not sure, didn't really keep track).

¶¶Pre-soaked for a couple hours with a couple changes of water. The stuff is the usual sour/salted mustard found ubiquitously in Southern Chinese/SE-Asian cuisines, available here in Chinese/SE-Asian groceries commonly in packages of individual half-plants sealed in with some of the pickling water. The vegetable used is the large-leaved mustard, "kai choy". I've shown various types of soup using this pickled mustard in many posts here on eG.

huiray

huiray

Also with Teochew-style Kiam Chye Arp Teng (Pickled mustard & duck soup) (or: Kiam Chye Ark Th'ng).

¶¶ Pre-soaked for a couple hours with a couple changes of water.