• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Three years ago I didn't make our usual good luck black eyed peas on New Years Day and broke three bones the next day so  i've  made sure to have them on NYD since then.  Today, though, i tried a different recipe and cooked them with chicken stock, onions, ham and bacon in a crock pot.  About half way through, I added about a dozen Collard leaves that had been deveined and chopped.  Son who isn't a fan of black eyed peas like I usually make them, had three or four helpings of this version.  It will probably be the new New Years meal.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Three years ago I didn't make our usual good luck black eyed peas on New Years Day and broke three bones the next day so  i make sure to have them on NYD since then.  Today, though, i tried a different recipe and cooke them with chicken stock, onions, ham and bacon in a crock pot.  About half way through, I added about a dozen Collard leaves that had been deveined and chopped.  Son who isn't a fan of black eyed peas like I usually make them, had three or four helpings of this version.  It will probably be the new New Years meal.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Three years ago I didn't make our usual good luck black eyed peas on New Years Day and broke three bones the next day so I've make sure to have them on NYD since then.  Today, though, i tried a different recipe and cooke them with chicken stock, onions, ham and bacon in a crock pot.  About half way through, I added about a dozen Collard leaves that had been deveined and chopped.  Son who isn't a fan of black eyed peas like I usually make them, had three or four helpings of this version.  It will probably be the new New Years meal.