• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DocDougherty

DocDougherty

note on parasites

It will cease being translucent at around 133°F and will begin to be flaky at ~139°F,  so in between it is most tender.

I sous vide salmon to 136°F and it gets consistently good reviews.

You can eat it raw if you trust the source, but check for parasites in any case.

USDA says you can kill fish parasites by freezing at -4°F for 7 days.

If not doing sous vide, account for heat soak and take it off early. You can calculate what temperature you want, but you don't have the instrumentation to sense the state vector, so skill and experience will have to guide you.

DocDougherty

DocDougherty

It will cease being translucent at around 133°F and will begin to be flaky at ~139°F,  so in between it is most tender.

You can eat it raw if you trust the source, but check for parasites in any case.

If not doing sous vide, account for heat soak and take it off early. You can calculate what temperature you want, but you don't have the instrumentation to sense the state vector, so skill and experience will have to guide you.

DocDougherty

DocDougherty