• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

Cooking is simply applying thermal or IR energy to what you plan to eat.

PC is faster, SV slower.

BTW;  the best 'stew' ever is done via SV in a stepwise fashion.  initial steps denature various proteins that contract at higher temps, and the

meat then completes its cooking to your liking.  you make various other elements of the 'stew' based on their ideal cooking temps and then combine,

and perhaps rest for a bit to Co-Mingle.

it might take you days to do this properly.  if done in bulk as a do ahead project, fine

otherwise, you are going to be pretty hungry waiting for you dinner.

Heston Blumenthal made a stew, in bulk, component by component, and froze the various bags in bulk.

then took the results  on a British submarine, HMS Turbulent

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hestons-mission-impossible/videos/all/s1-ep4-brain-food

I can't be sure he went to the trouble of doing the SV Meat in a stepwise fashion.

I myself have not taken the time to try this, being somewhat SlothFull these days.

but I bet that stepwise stew would be 4 star.

PC Stew ( wine, mushrooms, etc ) the next day is quite tasty

so it is what it is, and speaks for itself.

BTW  Im fairly sure, potatoes 'pressure-steamed' are far better than SV potatoes.  but Ive never SV'd veg.

the higher temps in PC does something to the sugars in both waxy and Russet style potato .

BTW II :  the continuum of thermal cooking would be evident to all of us if we had a Rational Combi-Oven or two.

or for some of us, a CSB.

569111bcd15ec_surprised.gif.3d4165c18e4e

indeed  Step-SV-Stew vs Combi Stew  would be an outstanding project for PedroG !

he knows as much about component SV and has a Lucious ElectroLux Combi Oven

smiley-money-mouth.gif.f38f029a01747be51

rotuts

rotuts

PC is faster, SV slower.

BTW;  the best 'stew' ever is done via SV in a stepwise fashion.  initial steps denature various proteins that contract at higher temps, and the

meat then completes its cooking to your liking.  you make various other elements of the 'stew' based on their ideal cooking temps and then combine,

it might take you days to do this properly.  if done in bulk as a do ahead project, fine

Heston Blumenthal made a stew, in bulk, component by component, and froze the various bags in bulk.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hestons-mission-impossible/videos/all/s1-ep4-brain-food

I can't be sure he went to the trouble of doing the SV Meat in a stepwise fashion.

I myself have not taken the time to try this, being somewhat SlothFull these days.

BTW  Im fairly sure, potatoes 'pressure-steamed' are far better than SV potatoes.  but Ive never SV'd veg.

the higher temps in PC does something to the sugars in both waxy and Russet style potato .

BTW II :  the continuum of thermal cooking would be evident to all of us if we had a Rational Combi-Oven or two.

or for some of us, a CSB.

rotuts

rotuts

PC is faster, SV slower.

rotuts

rotuts

Cooking is simply applying thermal energy to what you plan to eat.

PC is faster, SV slower.

rotuts

rotuts

Cooking is simply applying thermal energy to what you plan to eat.

PC is faster, SV slower.

;)