• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
liuzhou

The great British curry crisis

Very interesting. As discussed in the article, it's sort of surprising that the curry houses have retained their individual mom & pop family ownership as long as they have, vs. being pushed out by a "fast casual chain" version of themselves.  And the fact that 80-90% of curry house owners can trace their roots to a modest sized city in Bangladesh is rather amazing.  I imagine it will be an interesting story to watch going forward.  Thanks for posting.

Very interesting - they're seeing similar problems in Singapore where profits of hawkers stalls is declining, and the younger generation are now university educated and don't want to do the hard work of running one...  the government of Singapore is very concerned about this, since the hawker stalls are part of their heritage, and are constantly having conferences among food professionals and public opinion experts as to how to solve the problem.

• Like 1

Parliament has a curry committee? Why can't congress have a pizza committee, a coney committee, a burger committee...?

BTW-for the record- I do see this is important. I would consider anything that could ,potentially, cause mass unemployment an important issue. And, I am glad to see that the government is trying to do something about it. Sometimes my silly/stupid- side gets the better of me when it shouldn't.

Edited by Naftal clarification (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Sign in to follow this