• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rebecca263

Delicious Jewish Delis in Philadelphia?

Hello my fellow eGulleteers!

I've been invited to a deli meal of my choice in Philadelphia. I've never eaten deli in Philadelphia, any suggestions? I must have pickles at the table and I am thinking of eating a very fatty corned beef sandwich.I do not eat meat often so I really want this to be an amazing corned beef sandwich. Fresh cut french fries is a bonus, as well,kishke stuffed in the traditional genuine derma is the ideal. Thank you all!!!!!

If you're thinking Katz's in New York, Philly will probably be a disappointment. Of the three delicatessens that I know -- Schlesinger's, Herschel's East Side Deli and Famous Fourth Street -- I'd guess that Famous Fourth  probably comes closest to what you want. The 19th Street branch of Famous Fourth Street has a new owner and is called Kaufman's; I've not been there yet.

Nice little podcast on Herschels: