• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buttermilk in potato soup

pistolabella

So I planned on potato soup tonight, but after arriving home discovered I only have buttermilk and sour cream for dairy. I've seem recipes featuring buttermilk but they also include regular milk. Is there any way to make this work ? I also have homemade chicken stock. 

What are you trying to accomplish with the dairy? 

I did a chicken and potato soup the other night using homemade chicken stock and made a flour slurry to thicken it. If you have an immersion blender you could throw in extra potatoes and blend them up too. 

Martha Stewart's recipe just puts boiled potatoes in a bowl and pours over buttermilk like it's cereal. 

My theory is that it's soup, just throw whatever sounds good in it until it tastes good.

• Like 2