• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hog Snapper ROCKS!!!

Suzee

Have you tried Hogfish / Hog Snapper? It is my new absolute favorite fish! With a sweet buttery taste like lobster or sea bass at a far more reasonable price. I like to poach it gently and enjoy it with just a little drawn butter and lemon. Doug's Seafood in Bonita Beach has it fresh for the best price - currently ~$16/lb but well worth it!

• Like 1

That fish is very popular here where I live in Central East Coast Florida. Usually 20 to $30 a pound, however. Depending on where you are shopping and the time of year. Right now the overwhelming presence of snowbirds has driven up the price of everything so the market had hogfish listed at $29.99 per pound this week. As far as preparation is concerned, please don't freak out but a very popular southern preparation involves placing the snapper, skin side down, on a piece of aluminum foil on top of a cookie sheet. Slather the top with Hellman's mayonnaise, believe it or not, and then sprinkle with dry breadcrumbs. Broil until the fish is just barely cooked through, bearing in mind that there will be some carry-over cooking and there is nothing worse than over cooking fish that cost you $30 per pound. I know this is not a very trendy preparation but it is a very popular preparation here in the South. They also like to serve grits with fish, something that I just haven't been able to wrap my brain around yet, and I have lived here for more than 20 years now

• Like 2

I had never heard of or seen this fish, but it sounds delicious.

According to wiki, it has a range from Nova Scotia to South America, so it's not impossible that it might appear at my local NC fish shop. I will keep an eye out, and ask about it next time I visit the shop. I know I have never seen one for sale or caught on any NC salt-water fishing boat I've been out on, although there were lots of red and silver snappers coming on board.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I have eaten it here in FL restaurants and it is delicious!   I have not seen it for sale at markets here, but have not specifically sought it out. 

I have not seen it on local menus recently (past several months) and it may be seasonal.

I googled and found many articles about hogfish fishing restrictions due to over-fishing, but not sure of its current status in FL.

• Like 2

That mayonnaise/bread crumb treatment sounds interesting! Regarding the grits, I'm a northerner and it has taken me awhile to acquire a taste for them. Bob's Red Mill stone ground yellow grits cooked in chicken stock with a bay leaf and served with a big pat of butter changed my tune... now I love grits!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back when I use to do a lot of spear fishing hog was a favorite catch.  A lazy mans catch.  They swim right up to you.  You feel bad (for a second) but it's what you went out there for

They are are not caught on a  hook and line and are usually acquired by spear.  That's one of the reasons they are not that common in the market. I like them a lot but they are softer, thinner and a little wetter than other grouper in texture.  Sometimes I want something not so delicate and a mangrove snapper fits the bill.  Usually more common on our ledges than reds depending on how far you want to travel out to sea 

• Like 1