• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kombucha Brewing - Bonita Springs

Suzee

On 1/7/2016 at 10:42 PM, Suzee said:

Hi People! For anyone interested in brewing their own fresh delicious Kombucha. I have an abundance of healthy scobies waiting for a new home ;-)

Hi, Suzee.

I am too ignorant of Kombucha to take you up on your offer immediately, but I am very intrigued by this new (to me) possibility. I first learned of it when member @gfron1 posted about it here.

Then, when searching for his thread, I also ran across this one.

I'm pretty sure I won't be the only member with high interest if you choose to share your experience and knowledge about this esoteric brew, and I surely wish you would. There was no real discussion on the two threads I linked of recipes and procedures to proceed to make your own at home like you do. Please do share.

I love tart flavors, so this might be right up my alley. I would love to take you up on your generous offer with more information, so that I would be able to justice to your scobie.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Hi! Here are a few websites to begin learning about brewing Kombucha. I recommend setting up a continuous brew system. You'll need at least a gallon sized glass jar with a non-metallic spigot at the bottom. These are usually readily available at Walmart, Kmart etc. Pick up some Black or Green Tea, preferably organic and Cane Sugar, preferably organic. You can grow your own Scoby (also called "The Mother") from GTS Classic Original Kombucha or I can send you one. Keep me posted on your progress!

https://www.kombuchakamp.com/what-is-kombucha/continuous-brewing

http://wellnessmama.com/8638/continuous-brew-kombucha/

http://nourishedkitchen.com/continuous-brew-kombucha/

• Like 2

There will be a lot of people who question the safety of brewing Kombucha at home, once it gets going it does look a bit like a creature from an alien planet! You can draw off a bit and taste it to see how it's developing every day or two.  I recommend getting pH test strips or better yet, a pH meter to test your brew until you have more experience. It's ready when it reaches 2.5-3.0 By then it should taste a little like tart apple cider. If you want to make it fizzy, it's necessary to put it through a second fermentation process. I use Grolsch swing top bottles, fill them almost to the top, add some slices of fresh ginger, sometimes fruit and a spoonful of sugar. Check and burp them every day! They sould be fizzy in 2-4 days.

• Like 2

@Suzee you are making my mouth water. Not only is the fermented drink delicious it is packed full of wonderful probiotics. Thank you for sharing your expertise. When things slow down around here a little bit, I will definitely contact you and request a portion of your mother

• Like 1

Of all the things I've fermented, I've never tried to do kombucha...  So the taste is supposed to be like a tart apple cider?  The one kombucha I remember trying was more like cider vinegar... very acetic.  Was that an outlier in the style, or are they all pretty vinegar-y?  I've enjoyed making water kefir in the past... a very clean lactic tartness... I wonder if my kefir crystals in the fridge are still alive after 6 or 8 months...

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I haven't tried water kefir yet... it's next on my list! If the kombucha tastes like vinegar, it's fermented too long ... gone too far. The scoby will be fine but to bring it back to be drinkable, it's necessary to add more sweet tea. Use 10 bags of tea plus 1 cup sugar per gallon of water and make sure it is ~80 deg. when you add it to the kombucha.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...