• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Member - Fermentation Freak!

Suzee

Hi from Suzee in Bonita Springs FL!  I'm a mad scientist in the kitchen bravely venturing into the world of lacto fermentation. So far great success brewing Kombucha, fermenting beets, gingered carrots, polish style dill cucumbers and kraut. Lacto fermented beet cures turned out awesome for corned beef brisket, sockeye salmon gravlax and a sweet ham-like cured pork loin. Looking forward to participating in this group ;-)

kombuchabeauty.jpg

cornedbeef.jpg

porkloin.jpg

salmon.jpg

• Like 5

Yum! Fermenting is easier than pie! Add washed unpeeled veg to a clean jar, cover in salt water brine 1 Tbsp. per quart plus any spices you choose. Cover with an airlock and let sit for 3-5 days. That's it!! ;-)

You can taste the brine every couple days and see when it's to your liking. I like things on the crunchy side so tend to pull my ferments early. Once you put them in the frig, the fermentation stops. I've let polish style dills go as long as 14 days but they were on the verge of getting mushy by then. The fermentation goes faster if your house is warm and I live in SW Florida where my house usually stays around 78 degrees. If your house is cooler you can let the ferments go longer..

Welcome, Suzee!  It looks like you'll fit right in here.  Come on in and check the place out.  If you have questions, feel free to ask a host by PM, or post your question in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

You may find these topics particularly interesting, and have a lot to add to them:

Pickles--Cook-Off 32

Sauerkraut

Edited by Smithy
Added forum link (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown