• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlottesville VA Trip

Kim Shook

One of Jessica’s Christmas gifts to Mr. Kim was a session in a sensory deprivation tank.  For that, we traveled to Charlottesville VA where we also had lunch and dinner. 

Lunch at The Flat – a crêperie behind the Downtown Mall.  I had the Temptation of Adam:

DSCN0957.JPG.1a5a2f60e6811b1ed08f88d6fb2

Apple, Brie and Ham.

Jessica had the Crepes According to Anna (no picture) with ham, Brie and local jam.

Mr. Kim had the Southside of Heaven:

DSCN0958.JPG.e13a23ae34cb6afe7a10a7f55d8

Chicken, spinach, onion, feta and Cheddar.

All were delicious.  And enormous.  Only Mr. Kim finished his.

Dinner was remarkable.  We ate at Al Carbon – it comes across as a Mexican/Charcoal rotisserie chicken place.  And it is, but SO much more and better.  Jess and Mr. Kim had discovered it one time when they went to a game and raved about it.  The food was so wonderful and different and satisfying that days later, I’m still thinking about it and I’m ready to go back any time!  We shared two cemitas (Mexican sandwiches) and charcoal roasted sweet potatoes.

This was the breaded beef sandwich:

DSCN0965.JPG.fd2f8fbd183bd38bcff484ebb3f

You can’t tell by the picture, but the sandwich was huge – easily 7-inches across.  The beef was 6 thin layers of tender, delicious breaded beef and it included avocado, fresh Oaxacan cheese, papalo (an herb like cilantro), red onion, a slice of ham and something creamy – I’m guessing mayo rather than crema. 

The other sandwich had all of the same fixings but was made with the charcoal cooked chicken.  It was incredibly tasty and moist:

DSCN0966.JPG.8c523cf578db2cb66d12c2f558b

The potatoes are roasted over charcoal and then topped with sweetened condensed milk.  Incredibly good:

DSCN0964.JPG.405907667889681c2240ea0f0ec

Churros for dessert:

DSCN0967.JPG.6e5132ec535fd410e0c2bc08a7e

Unfortunately, they weren’t serving the cajeta stuffed ones that night.  Still fantastic, though.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Try JM Stock butcher shop on Main St.  They also have location in Richmond so may by you already know about them.   They have one breakfast and one lunch sandwich offering during the day and I had the most delicious country ham on biscuit there.  They also have nice bread and of course lots of different meat cuts and sausages. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2016 at 1:24 PM, chefmd said:

Try JM Stock butcher shop on Main St.  They also have location in Richmond so may by you already know about them.   They have one breakfast and one lunch sandwich offering during the day and I had the most delicious country ham on biscuit there.  They also have nice bread and of course lots of different meat cuts and sausages. 

We didn't make it to the butcher shop in C'ville, but have made a note of the one in Richmond and will be going by as soon as we can!