• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Los Angeles!

Lunita

Hi everyone, I live in the North East LA area and recently became a member of the Culinary Historians of Southern California, which I think automatically gave me access to this forum. Since I enjoy all things having to do with food, including baking as hobby (everything from cheesecakes to bread), trying new restaurants and as many types of foods as possible, and learning about food history, I expect to thoroughly enjoy this forum and look forward to meeting others with similar interests. 

Welcome, Lunita!  You live in an area with a rich culinary history, and this is a good forum for sharing ideas.  Come on in and explore; if you have questions, feel free to PM a host, or ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

Do you have any favorite sources of historical information?  I carried with me for years the paperback 2-volume set of Helen Brown's West Coast Cookbook.  I don't remember how much I cooked from it, except for the Visalia Olive Bread (which was probably the reason I bought the books).  The books got lost in some move long ago. I remember the first part (settler cookery) as being fun to read.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown