• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2015-2016

Franci

Host's note: this topic is continued from Gardening: 2013-2015

This year the weather has been quite mild. This is what I picked from the garden yesterday.

IMG_3568.JPGIMG_3573.JPG

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 5

Hi Kenneth, it's a trombetta zucchini or courgette trompette, if you search in this topic we talked about it before. That it's the perfect size for me if grown too much becomes mealy. It's a crunchy, less watery zucchini.

No, hurray, haven't tried. My children are not huge fans of zucchini (except in minestrone) but they love the trombetta if cooked al dente.

I tried that variety in the past, don't remember if from green markets or not.

Edited by Franci (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you might enjoy a shot of my friend's calamansi tree. It is having a spectacular season. The sun was very bright and almost directly overhead - the shadowy part is the other half of the tree which is similarly jam packed with fruit. I picked some for general use and to flavor the baklava syrup which is on deck today.

photo (81).JPG

• Like 7

I always wonder what the heck.. a Kalette was NOW I know!1

Its the hair of the Kale Stalk.. best I can describe

Damn stalks are Mid evil weapons ..btw

The Beef tenderlion of a Kalette

23188153703_b05ea44a4e_z.jpg.010e0d42007

The weapon!!

23188155933_d3d4de3183_z.jpg.19151c9e675

Now the Kalette23814985485_17b98f1f57_z.jpg.459c04f5262

YES..Yummm

• Like 5

Its good to have Morels

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Nice steel-Sabatier knife!  Just the thing for that stalk.  Could you use it for soup?

Thanks!!

I actually tried to cut that stalk with my  Knife.  But it was tough as wood. 

So I thought it might be to bitter..  So I pitched it.  I'm a big fan of trying to use every thing though

Cheers and Happy Holidays

Paul

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

On 12/18/2015 at 3:09 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Wonder if the kale stalk has a 'marrow' like the brussels sprout stalk discussed elsewhere.

It didn't seem like it..  Kerry

But I had a hard time cutting through it..  tomorrow  I have one left and I will see.. keep u posted!!

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

I've just found this thread, love the pig discussion !

Just harvested a bunch of birdseye chillies. This lot will make about 250g of chilli paste. They get blanched and pulverised with salt and a tiny bit of rice vinegar.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

WinterGarden2015_3664.jpg.3825696e551cea

The winter garden on my front deck. I cleaned it up yesterday for the holidays, so I feel OK about taking a picture now. Mercifully, we have had rain here. No frost, though. For the second year in a row I ditched my basils because they were unproductive and scruffy, not because they had been killed by frost. Meanwhile the parsley does well in the cool weather, the marjoram and lemon savory are hanging on, and the rosemary is very unhappy. The culinary lavenders are dormant even though they don't look it. My roses are still growing, and I would prefer that they go dormant. The weather simply hasn't been cold enough. I will prune them down soon and tell them to go to sleep.

KaffirLimeTree_3669.jpg.8116e678a607ff83

Despite the brutal drought this year, my kaffir lime tree did very well and bore abundant fruit. In the summer it was failing, so I made a hysterical call to my gardening guy. He said large container plants were drying out and dying all over the Bay Area. He gave me instructions on how to give it a slow soak, followed by a healthy dose of liquid fertilizer. It worked. The tree perked up right away. I picked almost all the fruit yesterday.

In the background, my curry leaf tree for Indian cooking (Murraya koenigii). I pruned it back severely last spring because it was getting out of control. My gardening guy and I have a dispute about the small plant at the base of the tree. He says it's a sucker. I think it might be a seedling because it's growing slow and strong. The tree should be repotted soon, we'll pick around the roots then and find out who's right.

Hummingbirdkiss, LOL, your pig story. Pls keep up the saga of Bacon into bacon.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to everyone!

• Like 9

Papaya nearly ready to be picked, they'll ripen after harvest. If we leave them too long the fruit bats get them.

image.jpeg

Curry leaf tree as described by djyee100. The small tree growing at the bottom of the pot is a sucker. We've been unable to strike seeds. Grrr.....

image.jpeg

• Like 8

djyee100

thank you for your pics.   I grew up in the bay area, on the peninsula about 2/3'd of the way down  My mother was a self taught fantastic gardner

the patio area was more terra-cotta pots than patio.  citrus, stone fruit etc

my mother was lucky.  It used to rain back then, and the water, from hech-hechy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetch_Hetchy

was $ 5.00 a month.   she would have been beside herself these days.

• Like 3

I have been remiss in keeping up with this topic. I had some early self-seeded lettuce that didn't seem to grow up before it bolted. I did get a few thinings though. Snow peas were a failure this year as were broad beans. But I think I may actually get some tomatoes that I started from seed. I have about 6 healthy plants and a few more that are trying hard. The heat started early this year so we will see how other things go. The butternut look promising so far.

I'm quite pleased with my high-line tomato staking system this year:

IMG_20151226_160610445.jpg

• Like 8

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

My little experimental cold frame is in the distance, but it is interesting to note that on Christmas day, here in Connecticut, the lettuce in the foreground is still growing in the garden! I picked from that as well as from the cold frame for a fresh salad tonight.Coldframe.jpg

IChristmas Lettuce.jpg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, HungryChris said:

...here in Connecticut, the lettuce in the foreground is still growing in the garden! I picked from that as well as from the cold frame for a fresh salad tonight.

I grew up in New England. Lettuce in December, that's incredible.

Edited by djyee100 (log)
  • Like 3

huiray often just uses it as a vegetable. I like to take masses of it, cover in olive oil and set in a low oven to extract flavor. Fabulous as a bread dip or to finish other vegetables. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sartoric said:

This is our current basil crop which needs harvesting. 

I've made so much pesto we're a bit over it.

Any suggestions for ways to use it ?image.jpeg

Simply use it as a vegetable. Yes, really. Stir-fries. Soups, especially soups. Try wilting handfuls of it into a nice stock with, say, fish balls. Or a tangy soup with chicken and bunches of trimmed basil.  Use it as one would fistfuls of Thai basil in similar circumstances except with a slight twist to it.

(In fact, half of what you have in that tub would easily go into ONE pot of soup for just a couple meals, or, if I'm hungry, a single meal. :-) )

ETA2: 10-15 years ago, when I was much more enthusiastic about growing stuff, I would have about 20 feet-worth of beds growing just basil of various sorts - usually around 7 -8 types plus more in tubs on the deck. Standard Italian-type (like yours) and Genovese would be two of the more dominant varieties. I'd let them get to about 3 times the height of what you show, with appropriate feeding. Yes, I ate them all - except the more scented or unusual ones which were only partially consumed.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2