• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2015-2016

Franci

Thanks for the input on the ramps.  I ended up just sort of figuring it out as I went along based on how intact the clump was, how big the bulbs were and how the greens looked.  I got some of them planted this evening, but the remainder will have to wait until at least tomorrow morning.  I definitely have a new found appreciation for the additional cost charged for fully cleaned ramps.  It isn't difficult, but it does take a while to get through a pound of them.

Edited by rustwood (log)

21 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Made a day trip into NYC yesterday (local library bus trip) and had kind of a hat trick of a day: 1. Lunch at Becco (one of our favorites), 2. finally got to see the musical, the Jersey Boys (absolutely loved it) and 3. got a big bunch of ramps at the Union Square Green Market to plant. My little trial patch has done well but,  simply put, I need more. As soon as I got home last night, I took them out of their sealed plastic bags to let them breath and put them out on the deck wrapped in wet newspaper.  Here is how they look this morning.

HC

IMG_0742.JPG

I'd eat the green tops and plant the bulbs and roots before they dry out anymore, as @DiggingDogFarmsaid. I've had good luck with planting scallions and a leek like that as long as they are not cut back too close to the root. The scallions even wintered over this time! But DDF is right, don't let the roots fry in the sun.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes
My post is now restored hasn't been changed. Wonky! (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Our vegetable garden is minuscule compared to many here. Also we have had major building works earlier in the year, combined with an indifferent Spring means that so far we have little to show.  Building work was completed on Thursday, the cold and wet period has stopped for a while and we had a little time yesterday to make some progress:

image.jpeg

The end of last year's leeks and the first of this year's salads that have been waiting in the greenhouse until work was finished;

image.jpeg

Strawberries, those at the front had been turfed out during the works. Tonight they have picked up and I'm sure they will soon regain their strength, they are Gariguettes.  The most flavoursome strawberries I have ever known(

image.jpeg

An olive tree that came from Aldi a couple of years ago and a miniature cherry just acquired;

image.jpeg

Repotted bay bay next to the cherry,  limited space means lots of things in pots.

We also planted a second batch of potatoes in bags, great to be able to pull out a handful as needed.  We are growing Royal Kidney as the results were beautiful last year.

Tomatoes etc will have to be found as plants, too late to grow from seed this year.  We stick with cherry varieties that mature fast and crop abundantly.  

I found some some seeds from the sunflowers we grew last year and they were also planted yesterday but in the greenhouse to get them started.

Usually we have grown courgettes but we still have a load in the freezer from last year so I'm wondering if butternut squash might grow here instead this year.  To be researched.

We are a 2 person household (and 2 cats but they have no interest in vegetables) so we aim for small but continuous crops.  

• Like 13

Damn rabbits ate my green beans. All of 'em. I can replant, but I have to figure out how to keep the rabbits away, first. A shotgun in the middle of town just isn't practical.

green beans.JPG

On the positive side of things, the tomato crop is up to 10 so far: two Park Whopper hybrids, two cherry tomatoes, six Romas.

The Romas:

romas.JPG

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

50 minutes ago, kayb said:

Damn rabbits ate my green beans. All of 'em. I can replant, but I have to figure out how to keep the rabbits away, first. A shotgun in the middle of town just isn't practical:

Other than a shotgun, a large dog or a good fence are the only options I can think of.

• Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

8 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Other than a shotgun, a large dog or a good fence are the only options I can think of.

Cats can run a reasonable amount of rabbits off your property too if they are let outdoors. We had a number of cute rabbits at my home before I got cats, but they are a rare sight now, although we see them occasionally driving through the neighborhood at night. Younger, fit cats rarely kill even a baby rabbit, but rabbits are timid and will leave a territory defended by cats. Cats are territorial and the rabbits perceive them as a threat. Female cats are typically the best hunters, but not always.

12 hours ago, DianaB said:

We also planted a second batch of potatoes in bags, great to be able to pull out a handful as needed.  We are growing Royal Kidney as the results were beautiful last year.

Lovely small garden, DianaB.

I have not heard of this technique of growing potatoes in bags. If you have time, I would really appreciate more information about your experience with it. I sounds like something I still might be able to do on a small scale.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Potatoes in bags certainly work well for us,  having used each of our raised beds for potatoes in recent years they will all be in bags this year.  Amazon (and no doubt others) sell bags specifically for the task but we have had equal success with the 'bags for life' distributed here by supermarkets.  They are made from woven plastic and are slightly larger than the official Amazon variety. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potato-Planter-Vegetable-Greenhouse-drainage/dp/B014T7BB5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1463673124&sr=1-1&keywords=potato+growing+sacks

Both variety of bags can be used over and over, spent compost gets added to the raised beds between batches 

We simply fill the bags to around one third height and plant 3 or 4 seed potatoes just under the surface. As the plants begin to grow we add compost to make sure the eventual potatoes are protected from light. Around 12 weeks later, simply pull out a handful of potatoes as needed.  We had potatoes from bags in this way right through to the end of December last year.  Although you might not have loads at any one time there are only two of us so the system is ideal.  We have grown Charlotte, Ratte and Royal Kidney this way.

Because the supermarket bags have a slightly larger interior we plant 5 seed potatoes at a go.

I heard a radio programme recently where the discussion was on carrots grown in bags.  Our soil is extremely heavy in the raised beds so we plan to try this technique for carrots this year using a sandy compost mix.  

• Like 4

On May 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM, kayb said:

Damn rabbits ate my green beans. All of 'em. I can replant, but I have to figure out how to keep the rabbits away, first. A shotgun in the middle of town just isn't practical.

green beans.JPG

On the positive side of things, the tomato crop is up to 10 so far: two Park Whopper hybrids, two cherry tomatoes, six Romas.

The Romas:

romas.JPG

I feel your pain.  A lot of mine look just like that.  Damn rabbits.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DianaB said:

Potatoes in bags certainly work well for us,  having used each of our raised beds for potatoes in recent years they will all be in bags this year.  Amazon (and no doubt others) sell bags specifically for the task but we have had equal success with the 'bags for life' distributed here by supermarkets.  They are made from woven plastic and are slightly larger than the official Amazon variety. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potato-Planter-Vegetable-Greenhouse-drainage/dp/B014T7BB5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1463673124&sr=1-1&keywords=potato+growing+sacks

Both variety of bags can be used over and over, spent compost gets added to the raised beds between batches 

We simply fill the bags to around one third height and plant 3 or 4 seed potatoes just under the surface. As the plants begin to grow we add compost to make sure the eventual potatoes are protected from light. Around 12 weeks later, simply pull out a handful of potatoes as needed.  We had potatoes from bags in this way right through to the end of December last year.  Although you might not have loads at any one time there are only two of us so the system is ideal.  We have grown Charlotte, Ratte and Royal Kidney this way.

Because the supermarket bags have a slightly larger interior we plant 5 seed potatoes at a go.

I heard a radio programme recently where the discussion was on carrots grown in bags.  Our soil is extremely heavy in the raised beds so we plan to try this technique for carrots this year using a sandy compost mix.  

I have some large Ikea and Lidl bags for recycling - I bet both would work well for potatoes!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DianaB said:

Amazon (and no doubt others) sell bags specifically for the task but we have had equal success with the 'bags for life' distributed here by supermarkets

They don't have reinforced eyelets or handles, but some of my horse feed comes in woven plastic bags and I bet they would work. I also have abundant soil as a result of many years accumulation of composted horse manure. Is it too late for me to start potatoes? 

If anyone wants to try the bags message me - they wouldn't cost much to ship (or find a local horse owner!)

• Like 1

DianaB. have you had success with teeny weeny new potatoes using this method?

That would definitely be worth a punt IMO. I wouldn't grow maincrop but new potatoes just out of the ground can be a revelation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DianaB said:

Thank you for your kind reply @DianaB. There is just one thing I am unclear on. Are the raised beds to sit the soil/compost filled bags on top of or is a hole dug into the beds to sink the bags into. 

They switched cat litter bags a while ago from paper to that woven plastic, and I think those might work too with some holes punched in the bottom for drainage on the 20 pound size.

> ^ . . ^ <

Yesterday, I went to a local cattle farm that has been advertising cow manure compost and picked up 2 bobcat buckets full and spread them on the garden. Today, I will till it in and start putting in tomatoes.

HC

IMG_0804.JPG

• Like 8

Is that your front yard?

I am very tempted, given we face south, to turn some of the front yard into garden - my 3 y/o might have a bit of a smaller swath of grass to play on, but we live next door to a park and back onto a ravine so it should be ok.....

I used parts of my front yard :  one side of the driveway for the tomatoes, and the other for a salad garden.

to me it was fine.  once done, you won't regret it if you get the best sun there.

that the front yard is for The Lawn is something that developed after WWII in this country.

there was an interesting book published about this some time ago     more or less called The American Lawn

vets came home from the WW, got GI loans and small tract homes     think Levittown   and the Lawn developed  

at least that's how I remember it.

should have been the Tomato Patch.  Tastier.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I did a mini 'social experiment' last year and threw 3 plants right by the edge of the road against my fence (we back on to and side on a ravine.park) in an effort to see the 'awareness' of kids (grade school uses the path to come to/leave school) as it relates to fruit/veg and if they would venture to try some - funny enough, not until the end of year did I have my first visitor who decided the cherry tomatoes looked good and tried a few (I went out and smiled and asked if she liked them - she did).

I think I will expand it slightly this season and try to double production - eventually I will get rid of all the grass (oh how exciting it will be to toss the mower!) and put in rock garden/flower beds with paths and some raised veg beds.

• Like 2

@rotuts @TicTac   Michael Pollen has a great essay,called "Why Mow?" in Second Nature, on the meaning of lawns in American suburbia and the process of getting rid of his own. In another essay in the same book, "Two Gardens" there are some hysterical anecdotes about his father's relationship with their lawn when he was a child. His father was NOT interested in gardening.

• Like 1

when you Goog American Lawn all sort of stuff comes up :

http://fusion.net/story/183116/lawns-are-now-the-largest-single-crop-in-america/

The American Lawn, by Georges Teyssot

this might be the book Ive mentioned :

American Green: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Lawn

it all started to get out of control  in Levittown, p WWII

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon links (log)

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Is that your front yard?

I am very tempted, given we face south, to turn some of the front yard into garden - my 3 y/o might have a bit of a smaller swath of grass to play on, but we live next door to a park and back onto a ravine so it should be ok.....

My garden used to be beside the house, but the neighbors trees got too tall and blocked out the sun there. I finally decided to try it out in the front and reluctantly tilled up a bit of the lawn several years ago. What I found was that because I see it, up close, as I come and go and from in the house, I spot and can correct any problems far sooner than when I would only notice them if I made a trip out to see how things were going. Because it is right there next to the driveway, I take more pride in keeping in neat and orderly and have made good friends with the UPS and FEDEX drivers who are both avid gardeners. I don't regret it at all, but thought I would.

HC

• Like 3

@HungryChris   

points well taken.   i have a Troy built 7 HP tiller.  it came with a small battery , and you got the acid etc to fill the chambers to get it started that way

what a ninny I was and tossed that.

now, as Middle Age looks a bit fuzzy in the Rear View Mirror  I regret that.  Pulling the Pully-thingy-y  bothers my back.

Im inspired to find a solution so I can go back to my Front Yard Tomatoes    ( in concrete reinforcing wire cages ) 

I start the seeds indoors in Feb.  long story, but resulting in no-fuss  7 + foot tomato plants

and yes  no need for 7 ft. it just happens.

Early Girl is my local standard.  and Ive tried many tomatoes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Yesterday, I went to a local cattle farm that has been advertising cow manure compost and picked up 2 bobcat buckets full and spread them on the garden. Today, I will till it in and start putting in tomatoes.

HC

IMG_0804.JPG

Okay HC, you got me! How much (size) is a "bobcat bucket"?????

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

20 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Okay HC, you got me! How much (size) is a "bobcat bucket"?????

Based on what I saw, I would say about a cubic yard per bucket.

bobcat.png

Edited by HungryChris
Just rememered, I took a cell phone picture of it. (log)
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Thank you for your kind reply @DianaB. There is just one thing I am unclear on. Are the raised beds to sit the soil/compost filled bags on top of or is a hole dug into the beds to sink the bags into. 

They switched cat litter bags a while ago from paper to that woven plastic, and I think those might work too with some holes punched in the bottom for drainage on the 20 pound size.

Sorry for the delay in answering this, I guess we are in quite different time zones.  Apologies also for my poor explanation earlier.  What I wanted to say was that we can't use the raised beds for potatoes this year.  The bags will sit on concrete. Those we bought from Amazon already have drainage holes but we punched holes into the 'home made' varsity.  We will plant a bag or two every four weeks through to September. As there are only 2 mouths to feed that will see us through until Christmas hopefully.  

I'm no expert on imperial measures and haven't looked up what 20 pounds might be  in kilo's but our commercial bags are around 40cm across and 80cm high. Supermarket bags are wider but shallower.

The bigger bags mentioned above would no doubt be fine if you have space to house them. 

Hope this is clearer!  

Edited by DianaB
To correct auto-correct. (log)

Nothing is prime for pictures yet but my garden is on its way. I have planted all the cool weather germination crops - lettuce (lots of kinds. I hesitate to say just how many because it makes me sound crazy) many kinds of greens - chicories, mizunas, arugula, cress, spinach, fennel, English peas and snap peas, beets (3 kinds). Today I put in the cabbage and radicchio seedling that I started inside and some parsley that I purchased. Yesterday I planted all the onions, leeks and shallots - also from plants from a nursery. Today the soil temperature was 49 F so I won't plant beans, cukes or squash for several days yet - longer if it cools down again. All the tomato plants I started inside are now out for day time. Since I have now finished digging the beds in the new greenhouse I am moving them down there - about 30 will be planted there once we install the drip irrigation system - hopefully tomorrow when my husband is home to help me. The rest of the tomatoes will go out in the garden at the end of May. I have 2 trays of basil seedlings that I started waiting for warmer soil before they are planted. Peppers I will buy. For some reason i have never had luck with peppers from seed. 

• Like 5