• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I don't really understand the issue (s) here

are the economic ?

trying to save a bit of $$ ?

something else ?

I take it you drive .

well, id just get a SV rig and do lots of Sv at home and freeze

then re-therm at your hotel.

or look around where you go for someplace to go to try local food.

Perhaps it's a "You hadda been there..." thing.  Have you ever spent a year on the road?

I've had some generous per diem deals, but after a while, dining alone in a strange (and often boring) town leaves you just wanting the creature comforts of home. Or the best semblance of it you can make there.

Of course, money does come into it (since it's why you're out there in the first place).  I've negotiated away the per diems in favor of a higher rate that I can take home, rather than leaving it at the Cracker Barrel on rt. 6.

IndyRob

IndyRob

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

are the economic ?

something else ?

I take it you drive .

Perhaps it's a "You hadda been there..." thing.  Have you ever spent a year on the road?

I've had some generous per diem deals, but after a while, dining alone in a strange (and often boring) town leaves you just wanting the creature comforts of home.

Of course, money does come into it (since it's why you're out there in the first place).  I've negotiated away the per diems in favor of a higher rate that I can take home, rather than leaving it at the Cracker Barrel on rt. 6.

IndyRob

IndyRob

22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

are the economic ?

something else ?

I take it you drive .

I've had some generous per diem deals, but after a while, dining alone in a strange (and often boring) town leaves you just wanting the creature comforts of home.

Of course, money does come into it (since it's why your out there in the first place).  I've negotiated away the per diems in favor of a higher rate that I can take home, rather than leaving it at the Cracker Barrel on rt. 6.

IndyRob

IndyRob

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

are the economic ?

something else ?

I take it you drive .

Perhaps it's a "You hadda been there..." thing.  Have your ever spent a year on the road?

Of course, money does come into it (since it's why your out there in the first place).  I've negotiated away the per diems in favor of a higher rate that I can take home, rather than leaving it at the Cracker Barrel on rt. 6.