• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fake Food Fotos

liuzhou

As a photographer who has manipulated lots of photos and worked with making props I can say that it is sad to see fake food. The bulging, overflowing hamburgers and the like. I don't like the idea of my mouth watering because of fakery.
Making good food and serving it au point is not easy. Showing a picture-perfect image, implying that McD's can do it as well as anyone, just reeks of false advertising.

• Like 5

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Every time I've had a dish or something in a mag, I just make the damn dish. Having every single thing on the plate, in exact places every time is just phony - I don't do it for service, so why would I have a picture taken of something that someone wouldn't be able to come in and get? Nature is beautiful on it's own, and while I'll wipe the plate, make sure it's clean, etc, I just don't like doctoring it up to be something it's not.

I've worked with plenty of people though who have used everything under the sun to make the 'food' look perfect. Just makes me angry.

Plus, I like being able to feed the photographer once they're done, if they have time. Just a nice gesture.

• Like 4

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

liuzhou,

That is a very enlightening article. It leaves me a bit stunned, and makes me consider myself lucky that I don't have to resort to the disgusting cheats mentioned to get appetizing food on the table. Of course, I do understand that it's professional food photography and marketing, and the things they have to do like setting up lighting just right take time.

They're not worried about wasting an entire turkey that gave up its life for the purpose of getting a marketable photo, but  "Stylists don’t waste real booze..." At least they've got their priorities straight.? :laugh:

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

20 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

They're not worried about wasting an entire turkey that gave up its life for the purpose of getting a marketable photo, but  "Stylists don’t waste real booze..." At least they've got their priorities straight.? :laugh:

Well said!  I completely agree