• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from San Francisco

Hello everyone, and happy 2016!  I just saw the notice about the updated site design, and decided to check it out after a long period of inactivity.  The new site looks very nice!

I am a self-taught home cook and enjoy kitchen exploration from a scientific approach.  Modernist Cuisine continues to be a great educator and inspiration.  The Food Lab is my newest reference, and I got a spheronizer as a Christmas present. 

I was wondering how i might connect with other like-minded home cooks in San Francisco.  Does anyone have suggestions how I might join/start a modernist dinner party group?  I like attending and hosting dinner parties, but have not found any others who are as enthusiastic about cooking exploration.  

Best wishes!

• Like 1

Welcome, food_curious!  Thanks for the kind words about the updated software.

You're bound to meet like-minded people here in the forums; a lot of us like experimentation and analysis.  The best way to hook up with cooks from your area is to start participating in the forums, get to know people and let them get to know you.  A lot of online friendships that formed here have gone on into 'the Real World'.

If you have any questions about how to use the forums, feel free to PM a host, or else ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.   We look forward to reading about some of your kitchen explorations.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown