• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Damaged marble board

Kahrs

Sigh.  We rented out our house and I quickly discovered that the tenants used a knife on my pastry board and it is cut all over.   I hope I can use some sort of polishing agent to grind down the surface.  Any suggestions?

As a postscript, I guess I have to warn future house occupants that marble is a soft stone and ruins the knife as well.  Sigh.

Well, marble being soft does have the advantage of making it easy to polish, so there is that anyway. Small comfort, I know. Pretty much any polish is going to get the job done eventually, but you may consider investing in an electric buffer (I have this Black & Decker model) unless you really enjoy scrubbing. 

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I had an 18" x 18" marble square set into a remodeled kitchen counter and was astonished at how many people thought it was a cutting board! I used it for candy and pastry.  I think it depends on the depth of the cuts and would call a marble guy to see what they have to say. Unfortunately I do not hold out much hope...

For effective stone polishing/repairs you need these:

1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Polishing-Pads-7-inch-Wet-Dry-28-1-Piece-Granite-Stone-Concrete-Marble-/221957874621?hash=item33adb863bd:g:D-8AAOSwkZhWSZ3S

2. An angle grinder.

For deep cuts/chips, polishing will not work. Get granite & marble acrylic kit/compound (ebay, Amazon).

Yes, money! but you will need to do this again and again and again in the future.

dcarch

Hi, I once had the very same problem but with an entire (rather large) master bathroom white marble countertop.  It was not only scarred, but stained as well. I called a professional marble installer and to my amazement, he restored the entire countertop to "like new" condition in just a few hours. It was not terribly expensive but the cost was born by the renters via a reduction in the deposit. (From experience, I've learned to take extensive "before and after" photos to prove damage caused by renters -  don't even get me started on the renters who somehow cracked numerous ceramic floor tiles in another property).  Good luck, I'm confident that you can get your counter restored :)

Edited by kbjesq
clarification (log)
  • Like 1

Well, the upshot of this is currently the following: It will cost $50-60 to resurface the board.  Question is: is it worth it?  And the marble shop acknowledged that they call it a "cutting board" even though you shouldn't cut on it.