• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

On 12/30/2015 at 1:54 PM, Jaymes said:

Having lived in Asia for several years

I seem to recall you have lived in the Philippines and Hong Kong - one part of SE Asia and one part of E Asia. I was unaware you had lived in Turkmenistan or Iran or Tamil Nadu and other such places in Asia, but perhaps you will fill us in on that.

Houston has one of the largest Asian immigrant populations in the US and, as a result, a great many Asian markets.

I suspect you mean E/SE Asian immigrants and E/SE Asian markets?  I doubt you were thinking of markets like Patel Brothers (for example, which would be Gujarati) in terms of finding mangosteens...

And if an average British person were reading this he/she would be thinking of someone from the Indian subcontinent anyway, when he/she read "Asian immigrants" or "Asian markets"...

huiray

huiray

I seem to recall you have lived in the Philippines and Hong Kong - one part of SE Asia and one part of E Asia. I was unaware you had lived in Turkmenistan or Iran or Tamil Nadu and other such places in Asia, but perhaps you will fill us in on that.

Houston has one of the largest Asian immigrant populations in the US and, as a result, a great many Asian markets.

I suspect you mean E/SE Asian immigrants and E/SE Asian markets?  I doubt you were thinking of markets like Patel Brothers (for example, which would be Gujarati) in terms of finding mangosteens...

huiray

huiray

I seem to recall you have lived in the Philippines and Hong Kong - one part of SE Asia and one part of E Asia. I was unaware you had lived in Turkmenistan or Iran or Gujarat and other such places in Asia, but perhaps you will fill us in on that.