• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a heavier duty immersion blender

TdeV

After not too long, the top part separated from the body part of my immersion blender. It's a KitchenAid Model KHB1231CU0. From their website, this model looks like a 2 speed blender. KitchenAid says there's no warranty.

Prior to the "accident" I thought the top part of the blender was a tad loose. But what "did it" for this blender was mashing a mixture of potato and sweet potato. Lots of suction power, I didn't a ton of water.

I'm looking for an immersion blender which will hold together.

Recommendations? TIA.

I'm no expert on the subject.  I've had my Oster Immersion blender for so long now that I can't even recall when I got it.  Model # 2611-33.  Probably isn't around any more.  But it's a workhorse and has never let me down.  It's white, two speed and comes apart sort of mid-section.  I remember thinking it was more than I would usually spend on a small item, but obviously it's more than paid its way.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You might look around for a small industrial style blender.  i think Amazon has some otherwise check with your local restaurant supply house.

• Like 1

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Because of stckciv, I found this most excellent write up:

http://www.chowhound.com/post/info-immersion-blenders-810839

It does seem like Dynamic International is worth looking into!

There are so much misinformation in the thread, I would not base my decision on that thread.

For instance in just one reply:

A. The maximum capacity for the MiniPro is 4 qts (1 gallon), so at 6 to 8 qts you'll be stretching it. If purchasing one of the more powerful models isn't an option, for optimal performance you should cut the larger batch sizes in half. 

Meaningless, capacity has nothing to do with the machine. You can stick the blender in Atlantic Ocean and the machine will perform exactly the same as in one gallon of water.

As for wattage, the other brands don't rate their motors real-world (under load) and so that gives them a higher wattage result but it's inaccurate, misleading and in actual use doesn't mean anything.

You can't rate a freewheeling universal type of brushed motor. The less load on the motor, the less wattage it will read.

In addition to power, for a blender, you really need high RPM. 10000 RPM is very slow for a hand blender. A Vitamix is higher than 30,000 RPM.

Hand blenders don't tell you about their RPMs.

dcarch

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I've had my Bamix for many years and it's heavy duty enough for everything I use it for.  It would be nice if it had a removable shaft that could go in the d/w.Cleaning the head takes extra effort.

• Like 1

Love my Bamix. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I also posted this on another Bamix thread:

To anyone who owns a Bamix:

Would you be willing to take (and post) a photo(s) of the Bamix while it's supported by the wall bracket?

I'd like to see what kind of space it needs.

TIA. 

Edited by TdeV
Edited to add link (log)

If it helps my beloved BioSpec Homogenizer comes with a Bamix engine.  The stand is counter top, not wall mount.  I suspect it is a regulation issue Bamix stand.  Not much space required:

http://amzn.com/B005FY4YGC

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I might add that if I were looking for a heavier duty immersion blender I'd look at KitchenAid (their commercial units have removable shafts), Robot Coupe, or Dynamic.  I'm not sure any of the Bamix qualify as heavy duty.

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If it helps my beloved BioSpec Homogenizer comes with a Bamix engine.  The stand is counter top, not wall mount.  I suspect it is a regulation issue Bamix stand.  Not much space required:

http://amzn.com/B005FY4YGC

That's interesting. Do you think the pricing difference between this and a regular Bamix is largely because of different markets? Like the way there was no such thing as a sub-$1000 immersion circulator before the companies discovered cooks?

Or is there something inherently expensive in a rotor-stator mechanism? Or does the motor itself need to be much more powerful?

Notes from the underbelly

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I might add that if I were looking for a heavier duty immersion blender I'd look at KitchenAid (their commercial units have removable shafts), Robot Coupe, or Dynamic.  I'm not sure any of the Bamix qualify as heavy duty.

@JoNorvelleWalker, I've blown through 2 KitchenAids, so curious what you'd recommend. I'm thinking of Bamix as heavy duty; are you saying it's not?

I'm about to remodel my kitchen . . . and am thinking where to place appliances.

7 hours ago, TdeV said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, I've blown through 2 KitchenAids, so curious what you'd recommend. I'm thinking of Bamix as heavy duty; are you saying it's not?

I'm about to remodel my kitchen . . . and am thinking where to place appliances.

My first immersion blender was an inexpensive KitchenAid and I burned that out.  I hope you are not saying you burned out two of their commercial units?  If so at least they come with a "hassle-free" two year replacement warranty.

http://www.kitchenaidcommercial.com/commercial-products/400-series-immersion-blender

The Bamix motor in my homogenizer has a stated duty cycle of five minutes max.  It works great but I would not call that heavy duty.  Your mileage may vary.

My current immersion blender is a cheap Cuisinart, circa $20.  So far I haven't burnt it out.

Edit:  oops, sorry, my Cuisinart was $31.49 -- $26.99 at the moment.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)