• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco Around the World

Ellen Shapiro

Hey Awbrig,

Where on earth are you going to store your Costco goods after your bonaza of a Trader's Joe's trip?

At the Lincoln Park store, they sell wine, beer, soda, and liquor. This is probably too late of a post, but I posted just in case anyone else is wondering.

Has anyone ever tried their coffee.....

Yes. Their Kirkland Signature, 100% Colombian Supremo, Dark Roast is quite good. I am a home-roaster and reluctantly admit this.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Yes. Their Kirkland Signature, 100% Colombian Supremo, Dark Roast is quite good. I am a home-roaster and reluctantly admit this.

I too buy this coffee and really enjoy it.

Though I am not a home roaster and probably don't know the difference. :wacko:

I love their salmon (fresh kind), it was because of their salmon that I finally got my mother to go and check them out and now she can't stay away!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

the Lincoln Park store, they sell wine, beer, soda, and liquor

My wife is addicted to diet Coke which TJs doesnt have, they also dont have diapers...

I thought we spent a lot of money at TJs but we spent more @ Costco today...expensive weekend but we are ready for any catastrophe!

Sorry I did not reply sooner to the frozen salmon question, I was away. I do not notice a big difference after freezing the smoked salmon and letting it defrost. Actually it soes not stay in the freezer long anyway. I make all kinds of excuses to havesome.

My Costco does sell soda, beer, and wine. Not the soda I drink though, which is TAB. Tab if you remember is the first diet soda made by Coca-Cola. It is a love/hate relationship with most people. they either love it or hate it. I have been drinking it for more years than I would like to remember. When we went to Australia a few years ago, they had a clear one. I tried it and it was horrible.

Commonly known as the dreaded Starbucks brand.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I was in Costco today (Clifton NJ) and noticed a couple of interesting values. Urbini dried Porcini, from Bulgaria, extra large (really, not like shrimp) for $11.99/8 oz. These were new crop, not the ones that are dried like styrofoam. They also had cryrovacked babyback ribs for $1.99/lb and the best was a Envision flat panel 17in monitor for $399 that I saw for $549 less then 6 months ago. The wine still sucks but you can't have everything.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Made a mad dash at Costco for lunch to see if the 2000 Bordeaux had arrived (not !)

Was pleasantly surprised to find Costco now carrying Moms Garlic & Basil pasta sauce.

I know there are a lot of Mom's fans on this site, thought I'd pass this along.

I thought we spent a lot of money at TJs but we spent more @ Costco today...expensive weekend but we are ready for any catastrophe!

Welcome to the fold, my friend. Once you start, you'll never stop.

Another Costco fan in Japan here!

I tried the apple pie back in Canada and loved it, but I've never bought it in Japan- it's just way too big for two people. So my question: Can it be frozen?

Please say yes!

YES!

Wrap generously in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. :smile:

Funny you bring that up. My boys and I just polished one off with a few scoops of cinnamon ice cream.

Smallworld,

Just do what I do and eat it all day long! No need for freezing. :shock:

What could be better for breakfast than apple pie. :biggrin:

Need to get back to Costco soon, I can hear the pie calling.

I like to go to Costco during the week when it's a lot less crouded. Non food items that I find they have good prices on are Contact Lenses, Razor Blades, computer software, and sometimes clothing. I also love the chocolate covered raisins.

I lived on my own in FL for many years and didn't hesitate to find a nice selection of frozen food that I could heat up each night for supper. I also would buy stuff for around the house such as cookware, plants, sometimes decorations, DVD's, etc. I bought a rolling black luggage (one of those upright ones with the handle and wheels at the bottom) in their name which is of excellent quality and I travel with it constantly.

Smallworld,

Just do what I do and eat it all day long! No need for freezing. :shock:

What could be better for breakfast than apple pie. :biggrin:

Need to get back to Costco soon, I can hear the pie calling.

Mmmm. Does anyone know if a 24-hour Costco exists somewhere? The thought of one here is intriguing. I could go for some of that apple pie right now.

Has anyone tried their chicken pot pie?

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Costco Japan yesterday and kicked off the spring welcome by buying a smoker and 50 lbs of charcoal.

I was very disappointed that they didn't have whole chickens, this was the only store I knew in Japan that always had them.

Sometimes I wonder about the stuff they are selling in this country, yesterday I saw a kids swimming pool and a hammock both larger then my backyard! and I have quite a large backyard by Japanese standards. :huh:

After reading this thread, I can't wait for our Costco to be built. It will be less than 1/2 mile from Sam's, where they're adding on - preparing for the competition I guess. Anyone have a comparison between the two? I don't want to pay for two memberships! (Sam's is $35 - how much is Costco?)

I was in the Indianapolis store (East 86th Street) last week and the wine Ironstone Obsession 2001 was going for $5.99. Pretty good when served cold.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

After reading this thread, I can't wait for our Costco to be built. It will be less than 1/2 mile from Sam's, where they're adding on - preparing for the competition I guess. Anyone have a comparison between the two? I don't want to pay for two memberships! (Sam's is $35 - how much is Costco?)

I am not sure of he US prices (I think is about the same though) but when Costco opened by my sister's house (Cleveland), they gave out free memberships to people in the area!

What could be better for breakfast than apple pie.

I looove pie for breakfast. Thanksgiving's the best!

I've been going to the Costco In LIC, NY. Are there any differences between that one and the other ones around NY?

• 3 years later...

My local Costco is ticking me off. When checking out, they only offer cut up product boxes or short brown paper bags to hold purchased items. Half the time, the checkout bagger doesn't even bother to put the item into a box or a bag. They just put it in the cart.

I live in an apartment complex and the less trips I can make from my car to my apartment, the better.

The Costco stores in San Diego have large plastic bags with handle openings (just like regular grocery store plastic bags but a little larger) at their checkout. I can carry a heckuva lot of plastic bags at one time but can carry only one box at a time. Or carry two non-boxed items provided they have a carrying handle.

I asked my local Costco checker why San Diego had plastic grocery-style bags for checkout but this local Costco didn't. The checker replied that my local Costco was part of a different district that was run by someone who was cheap and didn't want the added expense of providing plastic bags for their local customers.

Once a month for a year I dropped a suggestion in their suggestion box near the exit stating that we should have plastic bags at checkout. In that year I haven't heard a word from anyone from Costco management.

There's a workaround...I keep regular plastic grocery bags in my car trunk and take the time to transfer all my items from the boxes into the grocery bags (and leave the boxes behind, thank you). They're not the same as Costco's plastic bags but they're better than boxes.

So, what do you have at your Costco checkout? Do you have only boxes and brown paper bags? Or do you have plastic bags at your Costco checkout?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

At the Tokyo Costco on good days they have odd shaped cardboard boxes, other days they have absolutely nothing. They seem to save the good boxes for the customers who want to have their purchase shipped to their house...

In my car I keep a huge blue bag that I got at Ikea and take it in to Costco with me and ask them to put most things in there.

Edited to add they usually ask before they start to ring you up if you want your stuff in the boxes.

Edited by torakris (log)

I wish we had plastic bags at Costcos in Japan! I don't think they even have plastic bags for the meat. There are some plastic bags at the dry ice machine (Y50 for a bag of shaved dry ice), but they're only supposed to be for the ice. The boxes at the Amagasaki Costco are usually pretty good, but because I take the train and shuttle bus there, I never use boxes, but bring my own bags (usually a large backpack, a cooler bag, and a few plastic or paper shopping bags).

In Winnipeg the boxes aren't very useful, but at least they have the meat bags in which you can put smaller purchases (they usually put magazines and clothing in the meat bags at the check-out). No handled bags, though. In fact, not even the Costco stores I went to in Northern CA and Oregon had handled bags.

I do like the delivery service offered in Japan, though. I wish they would do cold delivery, though, so I could get my meats and cheeses delivered. They're usually my heaviest items, and I usually have about 5kg or so of those things in total. It's a PITA to haul them home on the shuttle bus and usually packed trains.

I have been to virtually all the Costco stores in the greater Seattle area, and not once have encountered a bag of any sort at checkout. All we get are the leftover cardboard boxes.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

No shopping bags at Costco stores in Hawaii, either.

Remember, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. originally began as warehouse clubs targeting small businesses buying items in quantity. A lot of their membership now is individual households, but their merchandising policies generally remain the same. It's part of the "warehouse club" atmosphere.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs