• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pineapple Preserves - best brand?

Jaymes

I want to purchase some commercially-prepared pineapple preserves as a present for a friend.  This isn't something I am accustomed to buying, so don't have a brand favorite.  Obviously I see the "usual" brands available on supermarket shelves, but am wondering if anyone that likes and uses commercially-bottled has a particular favorite to recommend.

I do have access to a great many large import and specialty markets here in Houston, so can probably find anything anyone might recommend but, if not, will happily order online.

I know I could make it myself, but don't want to.

And just don't know what to look for.

Thoughts?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My friend has been buying Smucker's Pineapple Preserves.  But, since it's a present, I'd like to find something a little fancier.

Although I am well aware, I should add, that fancier doesn't necessarily mean better.

Still, since it's a present, am hopeful I can find something that will surprise and delight him.  He's an aging relative (by marriage) and can be a bit cranky.  I'm sure there are a great many folks here that know exactly how that goes.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Don't know if it's any better than Smucker's but it's Dole - http://shop.doleplantation.com/browse.cfm/4,266.html

Was trying to find the pineapple and coconut preserves that I purchased at the One of a Kind craft show a bunch of years ago (and promptly came home and cloned) - but it appears that company is no long in existence.