• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I did end up making Rose's Perfect Peach Ice Cream.  I tastes really really good but until I have a proper sized portion, the jury is out on whether it was worth the work.  I will say that it is very scoopable, which is always big in my book.   I didn't use the Ninja Creami but churned it in my electric Breville.  I still have 6 peaches left and am going to try your recipe.  Am I correct in thinking that I can scale it to however much puree I get from those 6 peaches?  How well does it scoop? 

Yes, you can scale it accordingly. I find it very scoopable when it's first churned. The leftovers do tend to set to a hard state. I wouldn't call them icy but they get firm. 

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Isn't this sherbet?

Not with dairy, as I understand it. Is there too little cream / milk to qualify as ice cream? 

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Not with dairy, as I understand it. Is there too little cream / milk to qualify as ice cream? 

It seems as if (from the recipe) it's fruit puree with an addition of milk (or cream), as opposed to milk (or cream) with the addition of fruit.  The first would be sherbet, and the latter would be ice cream (I think).  I guess the Rose's recipe falls in the middle...not quite ice cream, not quite sherbet?

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/ice-cream-vs-gelato-vs-sherbet-vs-sorbet

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

It seems as if (from the recipe) it's fruit puree with an addition of milk (or cream), as opposed to milk (or cream) with the addition of fruit.  The first would be sherbet, and the latter would be ice cream (I think).  I guess the Rose's recipe falls in the middle...not quite ice cream, not quite sherbet?

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/ice-cream-vs-gelato-vs-sherbet-vs-sorbet

That's a nice reference. Thank you! It does look as though our recipe is sherbet, or possibly gelato depending on which particular dairy I use. 

I made both and gave this bowl to my neighbour.  It contains a scoop each of Rose's recipe, and a scoop of @Smithy's, the lighter colored one.  They are both delicious, but Rose's was easier to scoop.  I'll let you know what the neighbour has to say.  I did add some glucose to @Smithy's recipe, 5% by weight but I don't think it did anything for scoopability, however, the result was smooth and not iciy.

20230818_173020.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1