• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Anyone remember what was called "Neapolitan" ice cream. 

I liked spumoni even more. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Spumoni was good, but different.

For sure it was different but it was my favourite.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

For sure it was different but it was my favourite.  

Mine, too.  I guess pistachio and cherry seemed fancy partners for the chocolate compared to vanilla and strawberry.  Haven't had it in years but will keep an eye out.  I suspect I might be more satisfied with a commercial product than making the flavors myself.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:19 PM, AAQuesada said:

How about a pain d'epices & PX Sherry gel with the coffee ice cream? I think that would go very nicely 

I'd have to find a good gluten free recipe for that to be an option, and I don't think I have the time to spare for that this time of the year. I'll keep it in mind as an option for future coffe ice cream pairings though.

The Spinzall 2.0 preorder on top of a huge tax bill has left little room for extra expenses these last couple of weeks, but that's taken care of now, so I just ordered a few different oloroso sherry/PX bottles. If I get them early next week, I should be able to make a couple of different sherry elements and try them together with the ice cream next weekend. A fluid gel is still on the table, but this could also be a good opportunity to finally test Eddie Shepherd's Fruit Glass recipe:

7 hours ago, sverreef said:

I'd have to find a good gluten free recipe for that to be an option,

Ask and you shall receive! This is one of the many great recipes that were posted on Instagram during the pandemic when Chefs were bored as heck! For those that don't know Stephane Buron he is one of those Chefs who can put MOF after his name and has some **'s from the Tire company. (Before I get yelled at that's the credit, also in the pictures)

-AQ

5B7F6CF7-8542-4524-B82B-381FAE105A2F.png

6011A3F7-51C0-48C5-94B0-DB48C1CE1C07.png

929BFD25-9247-417C-9EDC-E3043739622D.png

Edited by AAQuesada (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's amazing!

For others, like me, who don't know French, I managed to track down the recipe (including a helpeful video showing the process and the final consistency of the batter) on his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/100052198772871/videos/bonsoir-à-tousjespère-que-vous-avez-passé-un-bon-week-end-de-pâques-ce-soir-je-v/221215442525859/

That made it possible to translate the whole thing in google translate:

English translation of recipe

I'll give the recipe to my mom and see how it turns out :D

• Delicious 1

I offered to make our IT guy some homemade ice cream because he's been so good to me for years now...above and beyond the call of duty by far.  So he picks strawberry.  And I agree.  Not realizing that there are so few  recipes for strawberry ice for a good reason.

So I settled finally on David Lebovitz's Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream (The Perfect Scoop) ...and was completely blown away with the sheer deliciousness of the result.  We loved it.  Even I loved it...and I am not a big ice cream fan.  Followed it exactly as printed...not my norm...and lo! and behold! I am sold on this one.  It goes to him this very afternoon...

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

14 hours ago, sverreef said:

That made it possible to translate the whole thing in google translate:

BTW! If you use Google Translate on your phone you can have it translate straight from the pictures! pretty amazing app. I follow enough French chefs that I've gotten pretty good at reading recipes even though I've never studied French lol

Good luck with the recipe hope it works for you :)

On 3/25/2023 at 7:22 PM, sverreef said:

After a couple of ice cream free weeks because of a persistent cold, I made a blueberry ice cream based on the Chefsteps creme fraiche ice cream recipe I've had good results with earlier:

PXL_20230325_165734859.thumb.jpg.c4116e6e81cf0b3c1f1d6fc373b2bb7e.jpg

Both flavour an texture were fantastic!

I hope I've strayed enough from the original that it's OK to share the recipe here:

120g whole milk (3.5% fat)

68g glucose syrup DE40

45g sugar

1.1g locust bean gum

1 drop polysorbate 80

180g blueberry juice pressed from defrosted wild blueberries

7.5g skim milk powder

150g creme fraiche (35% fat)

2g citric acid

1.5g salt

Milk and sugars infused with 2.5g dried coriander seeds during hydration of the LBG. This was inspired by Stella Parks' comments on pairing blueberries with coriander seeds in her video about blueberry pie on Serious Eats. Can't say for sure if it had much of an impact on the flavour, and the amount used was just a guess, but it certainly didn't ruin the flavour. Coriander seeds were then strained before mixture was emulsified in the blender with the other ingredients.

Processed once on light ice cream + 1 respin in the Ninja Creami.

Served with white chocolate namelaka, crystalized/caramelized white chocolate and a few defrosted wild blueberries.

This looks good. I'm wondering how you're getting the locust bean gum to hydrate? Typically it needs to be cooked at a temperature that I'd be afraid would kill the fresh blueberry flavor.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

3 hours ago, paulraphael said:

This looks good. I'm wondering how you're getting the locust bean gum to hydrate? Typically it needs to be cooked at a temperature that I'd be afraid would kill the fresh blueberry flavor.

If I use a heat sensitive flavoured liquid, like blueberry juice, with the CS creme fraiche recipe, I only hydrate the LBG in the milk and sugars, and add the flavoured liquid during the blending (homogenizing) stage. If I use sous vide to hydrate the LBG, I often include the creme fraiche in the vacuum pouch as well, but I'm not sure if that makes a noticeable difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never had the time to make the dish I envisioned, and the Pedro Ximenez fruit glass ended up as a (very tasty) fruit leather which didn't make the plate. So the coffee ice cream ended up with a simple pairing of dark chocolate crumble and sherry vinegar fluid gel:

PXL_20230612_152510511.thumb.jpg.ff4ef0a0ebe12663d8ca7a2d80bf682d.jpg

The accessories needs work, but at least the ice cream tasted great and had a wonderful texture.

The only thing I would change in future iterations, is to strain the ground coffe before infusion, as the grinder I have access to made some powder which went through the sieve I used when straining the infused mixture. I don't think it affected the flavour or texture though, so it's just a visual refinement.

I used the light ice cream program + one respin in the Ninja Creami by the way. That made the ice cream perfectly smooth, but a bit too warm. After approximately 20 minutes in the freezer, it had the right temperature and consistency for quenelling though 🙂

When I use this base recipe in the future, I might experiment with a drop of polysorbate 80 to increase resistance to melting a bit.

Edited by sverreef (log)
  • Like 4

Made David Lebovitz' Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream (The Perfect Scoop) again and was not blown away by the results.  And with good reason, so to speak.  First of all, the strawberries were less than top grade and this time the sour cream was only 14% butterfat instead of 18%.  The recipe calls for only 1/4 cup sugar, but I added an entire extra 1/4 cup to make it palatable.  

And dear husband, Ed, of course complained that it wasn't creamy enough...his fault basically for buying a lesser % butter fat sour cream.   

Still, we'll eat it with some pleasure, if not extreme.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Made David Lebovitz' Strawberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream (The Perfect Scoop) again and was not blown away by the results.  And with good reason, so to speak.  First of all, the strawberries were less than top grade and this time the sour cream was only 14% butterfat instead of 18%.  The recipe calls for only 1/4 cup sugar, but I added an entire extra 1/4 cup to make it palatable.  

And dear husband, Ed, of course complained that it wasn't creamy enough...his fault basically for buying a lesser % butter fat sour cream.   

Still, we'll eat it with some pleasure, if not extreme.  

I suspect it still tasted markedly better than pretty much any commercial variety.

I've made DL's recipe. I'm also a fan of Jeni's Roasted Strawberry and Buttermilk Ice Cream (here).

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I realize this is a really stupid question, but can sour cream be subbed for yogurt?

For ice cream I'd say yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 6/15/2023 at 7:03 PM, sverreef said:

I never had the time to make the dish I envisioned, and the Pedro Ximenez fruit glass ended up as a (very tasty) fruit leather which didn't make the plate. So the coffee ice cream ended up with a simple pairing of dark chocolate crumble and sherry vinegar fluid gel:

PXL_20230612_152510511.thumb.jpg.ff4ef0a0ebe12663d8ca7a2d80bf682d.jpg

The accessories needs work, but at least the ice cream tasted great and had a wonderful texture.

The only thing I would change in future iterations, is to strain the ground coffe before infusion, as the grinder I have access to made some powder which went through the sieve I used when straining the infused mixture. I don't think it affected the flavour or texture though, so it's just a visual refinement.

I used the light ice cream program + one respin in the Ninja Creami by the way. That made the ice cream perfectly smooth, but a bit too warm. After approximately 20 minutes in the freezer, it had the right temperature and consistency for quenelling though 🙂

When I use this base recipe in the future, I might experiment with a drop of polysorbate 80 to increase resistance to melting a bit.

How did the PX fluid gel turn out? What did you gel it with?

I don't think the coffee speckles look like a flaw. They probably enhance the coffee flavor in people's minds (just as people swear vanilla ice cream tastes better when it has specks of vanilla pod showing). 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 6/24/2023 at 5:08 AM, paulraphael said:

How did the PX fluid gel turn out? What did you gel it with?

I didn't have PX vinegar at hand, so I used oloroso sherry vinegar instead, which I sweetened and diluted a bit with sugar syrup and gelled/thickened with ultra-sperse 3. I liked it, but I had to use it sparingly to not overpower the ice cream.

For this pairing, it would probably be a better match to make the fluid gel from PX and/or PX vinegar, so I guess I'll have to try that once I make the next batch of coffee ice cream in the fall/winter.

On 6/24/2023 at 5:08 AM, paulraphael said:

I don't think the coffee speckles look like a flaw. They probably enhance the coffee flavor in people's minds (just as people swear vanilla ice cream tastes better when it has specks of vanilla pod showing). 

As far as I could tell, it didn't affect the texture, so you're probably right that it's unnecessary to strain out the coffee speckles.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone made the Peach Perfect Ice Cream from Rose's Ice Cream Bliss?  By chance I happened upon perfectly ripened (not softened) peaches, a rarity in these parts, and would like to make ice cream with some of them.  I'm leaning towards making this recipe because Rose never fails one, but thought I would ask here first.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2015 at 2:26 PM, Smithy said:

It might depend on the proportions you use. My fruit ice creams, made with nectarines, plums, peaches or raspberries, taste intensely of the fruit in question, but the dairy portion is relatively small in order to keep that flavor.

Are you willing to share your recipe?

On 8/14/2023 at 2:11 PM, ElsieD said:

Are you willing to share your recipe?

Glad to! In fact, I'll give you two recipes, more or less the same but of different scales.

Here's the original: Ruth Smith's Peach Ice Cream, exactly as we always made it with the large hand-cranked ice cream maker that used rock salt and ice.

When Mom and I acquired Cuisinart ICE-50 ice cream makers, with the bowls that you freeze, we had to modify somewhat because the original recipe makes at least twice as much as will fit into the bowl. Of course, you can make the usual batch and keep some frozen for later churning if you have the room and the fruit.

Here's a tutorial on the process, modified for the Cuisinart. In this particular version I think I was using a combination of plums and nectarines. By that time I'd stopped using egg and I don't think I've missed it. The ingredients here were

* 4-6 nectarines, peaches, and/or plums, cut up and jammed into a blender jar. (Peel the peaches because of their fuzz. I don't bother peeling nectarines or plums, but you could.) It comes to about 4 cups' worth.

* 1/2 lemon's worth of juice

* 1 c sugar (you can do less, but I think it needs at least 3/4 c. I tried 1/2c once and had to add sugar)

* ~1c milk, cream, or half-and-half. You need just enough to bring the above puree up to the fill line in the Cuisinart bowl. Don't overfill, because it'll come pooching out as overrun and that part won't get properly chilled. (You'll see what I mean in the tutorial. It'll still taste good.)

I've messed around with heating the milk and dissolving the sugar into it, then chilling it. I think it may make a creamier ice cream, but I'm not a purist when there's good fruit to be had. I also suspect that the egg in the original -- which we never cooked -- was to serve some sort of custard purpose. Again, I've never missed it.

Now that I think of it, I'm going to try thawing some of my mixture enough to pour it into a Ninja Creami and see what happens. I'll report back.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I did end up making Rose's Perfect Peach Ice Cream.  I tastes really really good but until I have a proper sized portion, the jury is out on whether it was worth the work.  I will say that it is very scoopable, which is always big in my book.   I didn't use the Ninja Creami but churned it in my electric Breville.  I still have 6 peaches left and am going to try your recipe.  Am I correct in thinking that I can scale it to however much puree I get from those 6 peaches?  How well does it scoop?