• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 5:02 AM, Lieuwe said:

Frixair frx 180

Ooh I haven't seen this one before! Cool as.

I'm really happy with my Lello but should've gotten the larger size one because as soon as I bought it I've started doing pop-ups and having people ask to buy my product and 1lt at a time is quite intensive haha

On 12/13/2022 at 3:51 PM, paulraphael said:

Whilst I'm here I'd like to thank you again,@paulraphael.

I did a pop-up serving filter-coffee gelato and sorbet in my GFs cafe here in Melbourne a few weeks ago (Instagram). For the gelato I used your light-base and the method you outline on your blog to great success. The problem I've run in to is how time intensive it is for a single batch when there's now options to supply cafes. There's a reason pour-over is done for individual serves and I'm at a loss for how to scale it up. Next time I'll see the quality difference with a double-batch, which might be okay seeming as it's an immersion brew, it'll just cool down slower in the ice bath. I've tried a few methods for a sorbet but haven't managed to get it to carry the right depth of flavour as the gelato does, which makes sense. Pour-over was much better than using cold-brew for clarity of flavour for anyone that might also want to have a go at them.

For the second pop-up I did an olive oil gelato that's a big hit! For that I borrowed my chef friends Control Freak to do four batches at once though and that's a dream. More $$$ investment needed for this hobby(?) I guess

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 11:47 PM, Mars said:

Ooh I haven't seen this one before! Cool as.

I'm really happy with my Lello but should've gotten the larger size one because as soon as I bought it I've started doing pop-ups and having people ask to buy my product and 1lt at a time is quite intensive haha

Whilst I'm here I'd like to thank you again,@paulraphael.

I did a pop-up serving filter-coffee gelato and sorbet in my GFs cafe here in Melbourne a few weeks ago (Instagram). For the gelato I used your light-base and the method you outline on your blog to great success. The problem I've run in to is how time intensive it is for a single batch when there's now options to supply cafes. There's a reason pour-over is done for individual serves and I'm at a loss for how to scale it up. Next time I'll see the quality difference with a double-batch, which might be okay seeming as it's an immersion brew, it'll just cool down slower in the ice bath. I've tried a few methods for a sorbet but haven't managed to get it to carry the right depth of flavour as the gelato does, which makes sense. Pour-over was much better than using cold-brew for clarity of flavour for anyone that might also want to have a go at them.

For the second pop-up I did an olive oil gelato that's a big hit! For that I borrowed my chef friends Control Freak to do four batches at once though and that's a dream. More $$$ investment needed for this hobby(?) I guess

I'm glad to hear you had success with that method. 

And yes, it's too time consuming. I still think of that coffee method as a work in progress because there's no practical way to scale it.

I'm hoping for an opportunity to work with a pastry chef who might have some ideas on how to streamline and scale it without compromising the flavor. 

• Delicious 1

Notes from the underbelly

I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself, but my sister requested that I try to make a coffee ice cream soon. My sister will supply the coffee beans, but I need to find a reasonable source for dextrose and trimoline/invert sugar syrup before I can attempt to make your recipe, @paulraphael. Are there big differences between different brands of trimoline/invert sugar syrup?

9 hours ago, sverreef said:

I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself, but my sister requested that I try to make a coffee ice cream soon. My sister will supply the coffee beans, but I need to find a reasonable source for dextrose and trimoline/invert sugar syrup before I can attempt to make your recipe, @paulraphael. Are there big differences between different brands of trimoline/invert sugar syrup?

There are minor differences, but nothing to worry about. It's easy to just make it yourself. You can make a few ounces at a time; it lasts a few months in the fridge.

But I actually don't use it in ice cream anymore. Dry sugars are easier to use and eliminate any variables. My newer variation on the coffee recipe uses fructose powder. The end result should be the same, but it's easier to work with:

For 1000g:

65g granulated sugar

25g dextrose

15g fructose

Pastry chefs typically prefer invert syrup because they have it around for a million other things, while fructose is not a common pastry ingredient. 

Notes from the underbelly

Has anyone tried Dana Cree's toasted hay ice cream recipe from HMNIIC, or infused toasted hay to a different base recipe?

I'm pretty sure I have a couple of small patches with timothy grass in my "garden", and the flavour of toasted hay sounds like it would be right up my alley. It will require quite a bit of work though, since I have to harvest and dry the hay myself to avoid any possible sources of contamination in commercially available hay, but it's very tempting to try...

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 9:08 AM, Mars said:

I see! I might try mixing dextrose with maltodextrin then, which I now realise I was doing anyway with Messina recipes and other sources prior to learning and trialing Corvitto's recipes. Also, if maltodextrin is a product 20DE and below anyway it's probably an easy substitution for 21DE. Then I can go with Jo's option for 42DE as a middle-value to tinker with.

Thanks, I'm feeling better now and less disoriented. 

Thanks for the link! This is a much more reasonable price; assuming shipping to Australian isn't egregious.
Edit: it is qPsrxJ5.png

Just seeing this old post now but have you looked into drop shipping? We can get low DE atomized glucose for 14 CAD per kilo in Canada: https://www.qualifirst.com/food/sugar-sweeteners/glucose-powder-l

In fact, according to Canada Post and my estimations I could ship it to you for about 25 CAD for a kilo (in addition to product cost). I am not sure what kind of trouble I'd run into mailing kilos of fine white powder across the world though

Did you end up experimenting with maltodex? I've never been happy with it but curious as to your results

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 12:24 PM, sverreef said:

Has anyone tried Dana Cree's toasted hay ice cream recipe from HMNIIC, or infused toasted hay to a different base recipe?

I'm pretty sure I have a couple of small patches with timothy grass in my "garden", and the flavour of toasted hay sounds like it would be right up my alley. It will require quite a bit of work though, since I have to harvest and dry the hay myself to avoid any possible sources of contamination in commercially available hay, but it's very tempting to try...

I've always wanted to try this recipe but have been unsure about how to source "hay" - does anyone without special garden grass just buy a bale of hay at the farm store?

I read a thread about the toasted hay recipe on Reddit (I think) last week. Pet stores were mentioned as a potential source for hay in small quantities, but personally, I would probably worry too much about possible contaminants from the farm equipment (grease/oil, dirt, manure, pesticides) and unwanted species in the mix.

At the same time, I eat plenty of other produce coming from commercial farms, so this may not be a problem at all. As far as I know, hay is not produced, stored or transported according to any safety regulations for human consumption though...

If you end up buying hay, I would try to do it during late summer or early fall when it is as fresh as possible.

If I didn't live on the remnants of an old farm, where I can pick/grow things like this myself, I would probably ask at a farmer's market if you have that available in your area.

After a couple of ice cream free weeks because of a persistent cold, I made a blueberry ice cream based on the Chefsteps creme fraiche ice cream recipe I've had good results with earlier:

PXL_20230325_165734859.thumb.jpg.c4116e6e81cf0b3c1f1d6fc373b2bb7e.jpg

Both flavour an texture were fantastic!

I hope I've strayed enough from the original that it's OK to share the recipe here:

120g whole milk (3.5% fat)

68g glucose syrup DE40

45g sugar

1.1g locust bean gum

1 drop polysorbate 80

180g blueberry juice pressed from defrosted wild blueberries

7.5g skim milk powder

150g creme fraiche (35% fat)

2g citric acid

1.5g salt

Milk and sugars infused with 2.5g dried coriander seeds during hydration of the LBG. This was inspired by Stella Parks' comments on pairing blueberries with coriander seeds in her video about blueberry pie on Serious Eats. Can't say for sure if it had much of an impact on the flavour, and the amount used was just a guess, but it certainly didn't ruin the flavour. Coriander seeds were then strained before mixture was emulsified in the blender with the other ingredients.

Processed once on light ice cream + 1 respin in the Ninja Creami.

Served with white chocolate namelaka, crystalized/caramelized white chocolate and a few defrosted wild blueberries.

Edited by sverreef
Just noticed that I had forgotten salt in the ingredient list... (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:19 AM, andrewk512 said:

Just seeing this old post now but have you looked into drop shipping? We can get low DE atomized glucose for 14 CAD per kilo in Canada: https://www.qualifirst.com/food/sugar-sweeteners/glucose-powder-l

In fact, according to Canada Post and my estimations I could ship it to you for about 25 CAD for a kilo (in addition to product cost). I am not sure what kind of trouble I'd run into mailing kilos of fine white powder across the world though

Thanks for updating me on the shipping, if it's come down like that it might be worth ordering a few things. I'm low on some stabilisers too

On 3/21/2023 at 8:19 AM, andrewk512 said:

Did you end up experimenting with maltodex? I've never been happy with it but curious as to your results

Yeah and Paul was right. There's a process to them creating it above blending the two. I ended up with a powdery and really unpleasant texture from unincorporated corn starch. 

Someone had to do it I guess haha

4 hours ago, sverreef said:

PXL_20230325_165734859.thumb.jpg.c4116e6e81cf0b3c1f1d6fc373b2bb7e.jpg

This one looks great! If you didn't feel much from coriander seed may I recommend added some doenjang (Korean) -  or doubanjiang (Chinese) which is very similar - to your next blueberry batch. It functions similarly to strawberry and balsamic, in a way intensifying the fruit flavour

3 hours ago, Mars said:

This one looks great! If you didn't feel much from coriander seed may I recommend added some doenjang (Korean) -  or doubanjiang (Chinese) which is very similar - to your next blueberry batch. It functions similarly to strawberry and balsamic, in a way intensifying the fruit flavour

Thanks for the tip. Both of them seem to contain gluten though, so unfortunately, that won't be an option for me ☹️

We have plenty of frozen blueberries on hand, so I'll plan for a future test to isolate the effect of the coriander seeds, and to dial in the amount used, by hydrating the milk, sugars and LBG sous vide in small batches together with the blueberry juice (and coriander seeds).

I should probably do some tests to compare blueberry juice vs blueberry puree and the ratio of milk/blueberries/skim milk powder too, but the quantities above worked really well with a bright and prominent blueberry flavour.

• Delicious 1

4 hours ago, sverreef said:

Thanks for the tip. Both of them seem to contain gluten though, so unfortunately, that won't be an option for me ☹️

We have plenty of frozen blueberries on hand, so I'll plan for a future test to isolate the effect of the coriander seeds, and to dial in the amount used, by hydrating the milk, sugars and LBG sous vide in small batches together with the blueberry juice (and coriander seeds).

I should probably do some tests to compare blueberry juice vs blueberry puree and the ratio of milk/blueberries/skim milk powder too, but the quantities above worked really well with a bright and prominent blueberry flavour.

Ahh gluten intolerant? Damn! It is a very small amount though so I don't know how sensitive you are to it. I'm talking 10-12g in a litre batch

a7KFiQd.png

(old-ish recipe before I listed out stabilisers properly, sorry)

I'd be eager to try your recipes too but I reckon that they'll be very different without the Creami and glucose syrups and powders here either don't have a DE or don't exist at all (the aforementioned shipping from ModernistPantry struggles)

13 minutes ago, Mars said:

Ahh gluten intolerant? Damn! It is a very small amount though so I don't know how sensitive you are to it.

I'd wish... I got diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago, so it's not worth the risk. I've been planning to make the Peaso recipe from The Noma Guide to Fermentation for a while now, so I'll look into the possibility of making homemade gluten free doenjang at the same time.

This is the glucose syrup I've been using by the way:

https://www.sosa.cat/en-ww/glucosa-liquida-sosa

The box I have lists a different PAC value however, so I don't know which is correct:

PXL_20230326_141003578.thumb.jpg.4f059fd28208cbc82e9a69f4458b2d95.jpg

Maybe you can come close to these values with the sugars/starches you have available in Australia?

On 3/27/2023 at 1:29 AM, sverreef said:

This is the glucose syrup I've been using by the way:

https://www.sosa.cat/en-ww/glucosa-liquida-sosa

The box I have lists a different PAC value however, so I don't know which is correct:

PXL_20230326_141003578.thumb.jpg.4f059fd28208cbc82e9a69f4458b2d95.jpg

Maybe you can come close to these values with the sugars/starches you have available in Australia?

It's cool they list that actually. I was under the assumption is was about 20% water already so that's good to know

On 3/27/2023 at 1:29 AM, sverreef said:

I'd wish... I got diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago, so it's not worth the risk. I've been planning to make the Peaso recipe from The Noma Guide to Fermentation for a while now, so I'll look into the possibility of making homemade gluten free doenjang at the same time.

Haha I'm on the ferment train myself with the same book as my basis. I've got Koji Alchemy as well which offers other exciting applications.

Just this week a barley koji and roasted it for the Not Milk recipe in that book which is great (potential ice cream base ofc) and currently have some jasmine rice koji products going with a sweet amazake in the fridge, the other half lacto-fermenting to become sour over the next week in the cupboard, and a jar of shio koji doing the same. No misos just yet!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 4:25 AM, sverreef said:

Thanks for the tip. Both of them seem to contain gluten though, so unfortunately, that won't be an option for me

G-f doenjang is available. This is the one I use.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, Alex said:

G-f doenjang is available. This is the one I use.

I haven't seen any gluten free versions at Norwegian online retailers yet, but I'll definitely check the small local Asian grocery store before I look into the possibility of making it from scratch.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2023 at 6:26 AM, paulraphael said:

My newer variation on the coffee recipe uses fructose powder. The end result should be the same, but it's easier to work with:

I finally had a chance to make a version of your recipe yesterday, and after aging the mix overnight, I now have a Creami beaker of coffee ice cream in the freezer😀 It will be really interesting to see how your lowfat base works in the Creami.

The medium-light roasted Ethiopian coffee I bought online was probably not perfect, but still, the base tasted quite promising. I'm not good at describing flavours, but fruity pepper and caramel were the most prominent flavours. When I tried to brew it in a french press yesterday, caramel and black tea were the dominant flavours.

@paulraphael and @Mars, do you have any recommendations regarding what to serve together with coffe ice cream?

Edited by sverreef (log)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, sverreef said:

@paulraphael and @Mars, do you have any recommendations regarding what to serve together with coffe ice cream?

I'm neither of these people, but I like vanilla ice cream with coffee ice cream.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

All suggestions are of course welcome 🙂

I don't think I have the skill and confidence to spin, quenelle and plate two different ice creams at once, so if I go for a vanilla pairing, it would probably be as a crème anglaise or custard. Or maybe as meringue shards or in a crumble/soil/streusel element...

Since sherry vinegar is used in the ice cream base, a sherry vinegar fluid gel could perhaps be an option too?

On 5/19/2023 at 10:51 AM, sverreef said:

Since sherry vinegar is used in the ice cream base, a sherry vinegar fluid gel could perhaps be an option too?

How about a pain d'epices & PX Sherry gel with the coffee ice cream? I think that would go very nicely 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.3598f1776c8c10b386a6328b9ad49340.jpeg

Anyone remember what was called "Neapolitan" ice cream.  This is the same, deconstructed. All 3 were spun in the Creami.  The strawberry and vanilla were both very good; the chocolate simply good.

Also proving that my scooping technique will need work forever.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?