• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

7 hours ago, BooBear said:

Anyone try out melissa clark's recipe for custard ice cream?

Not that exact recipe, but a couple of tips if you decide to try this style - whisking the sugar with the egg yolks instead of adding the sugar to the liquids will make the yolks less likely to scramble when the hot liquid is added.  Also have an ice bath ready for that hot custard to stop the cooking. 

4 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Not that exact recipe, but a couple of tips if you decide to try this style - whisking the sugar with the egg yolks instead of adding the sugar to the liquids will make the yolks less likely to scramble when the hot liquid is added.  Also have an ice bath ready for that hot custard to stop the cooking. 

Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I'll second the recommendation to whisk the sugar with the egg yolks.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Why not just add the yolks and everything else to the cold liquid? I haven't tempered an egg yolk in years. 

I haven't tempered an egg yolk in decades* either -- however when I add yolks and everything else to the cold liquid of an ice cream base, what I get is scrambled eggs.  Granted with some effort the egg solids can be strained out, but the result is still gross and disgusting.  Paul, I thought you were the one who did not favor eggs in ice cream?

My method is to beat the yolks into the sugars and other dry ingredients, and then stir in the cold milk and cream.  Works like a charm each time.

* with the possible exception of Dinah Shore's wonderful rice pudding recipe.  Though that is a different topic.

5 or 6 ingredients, depending on whether it's their Vanilla ice cream, or their Vanilla Bean ice cream.

Not just anyone can take 5 simple ingredients – cream, milk, eggs, sugar and Madagascar vanilla – and make it this good.

• Confused 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

34 minutes ago, weinoo said:

5 or 6 ingredients, depending on whether it's their Vanilla ice cream, or their Vanilla Bean ice cream.

The most brilliant moment is when she uses the rolling pin to straighten and flatten the vanilla beans. Of course you do need to start with moist fresh vanilla beans. Sadly the state of vanilla beans is still not what it used to be.

14 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Anyone who has tried David Lebovitz's ice cream recipes please chime in. Are any of his recipes too sweet or not sweet enough compared to haagen daz?

I've made several of his ice cream recipes, both from his blog and his book.  They work well and I enjoyed them.  I've never done a side-by-side sweetness level comparison with his recipes and Haagen Daz

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've made several of his ice cream recipes, both from his blog and his book.  They work well and I enjoyed them.  I've never done a side-by-side sweetness level comparison with his recipes and Haagen Daz

Do you feel like making your own ice cream from his book is worth the time and effort?

3 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Do you feel like making your own ice cream from his book is worth the time and effort?

Worth the time and effort compared to what?  Ice cream recipes from other books?  I find his recipes to be straightforward and not overly fussy so they don't require a lot more time and effort than other recipes I've made.

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Worth the time and effort compared to what?  Ice cream recipes from other books?  I find his recipes to be straightforward and not overly fussy so they don't require a lot more time and effort than other recipes I've made.

Is making homemade ice cream equal or better (in taste and texture) than store bought? Do you make your own ice cream because you want like unusual flavorings like lychee or does homemade ice cream just taste better overall?

2 hours ago, BooBear said:

Is making homemade ice cream equal or better (in taste and texture) than store bought? Do you make your own ice cream because you want like unusual flavorings like lychee or does homemade ice cream just taste better overall?

Maybe you're overthinking this?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

“Inspired by Häagen-Dazs” so, no. 

But the ingredients I listed come from the Haagen -Dazs website and containers, so I'd say the ingredients are correct.  Methodology and equipment are up to the user.

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, BooBear said:

@BooBear I make homemade ice cream because I enjoy the challenge, and to hear my grandson say "This is better than [Highly regarded local ice cream shop]."

I'm not much into unusual ice cream flavors.  For me ice cream is all about texture.  Some while ago I made blueberry omani lime ice cream from Nik Sharma's "The Flavor Equation".  For which I had to track down and purchase omani limes.  The flavor was exquisite, though the grainy texture was off putting.  I doubt the recipe will be made again.  Sadly in my bedroom I now have an abundant bag of omani limes.

If you are serious about homemade ice cream, consider a Ninja CREAMi.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 11:17 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I haven't tempered an egg yolk in decades* either -- however when I add yolks and everything else to the cold liquid of an ice cream base, what I get is scrambled eggs.  Granted with some effort the egg solids can be strained out, but the result is still gross and disgusting.  Paul, I thought you were the one who did not favor eggs in ice cream?

My method is to beat the yolks into the sugars and other dry ingredients, and then stir in the cold milk and cream.  Works like a charm each time.

I use egg yolks often. Just never more than a couple of yolks per kg of mix. I don't ever want to taste the eggs. 

I'm interested in why combining with the sugar first would have an effect on curdling. Do you know the science here? It doesn't come up for me because I never cook my mix hot enough for that to be an issue (and the lower the ratio of yolks, the higher that temperature is).

Notes from the underbelly

On 4/14/2022 at 2:56 PM, weinoo said:

But the ingredients I listed come from the Haagen -Dazs website and containers, so I'd say the ingredients are correct.  Methodology and equipment are up to the user.

And if the user is Haagen Dazs, there's a whole lot of proprietary technology and precise protein denaturing in the methodology. Their homey ingredients label belies the science behind it.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

40 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I use egg yolks often. Just never more than a couple of yolks per kg of mix. I don't ever want to taste the eggs. 

I'm interested in why combining with the sugar first would have an effect on curdling. Do you know the science here? It doesn't come up for me because I never cook my mix hot enough for that to be an issue (and the lower the ratio of yolks, the higher that temperature is).

It was advice I read somewhere.  And unlike much advice, it worked.  I may have discussed the method earlier in this thread.  Or I may not have.

Not that long ago I mistakenly added liquid ingredients to the yolks and very much regretted it.

On 4/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, paulraphael said:

I'm interested in why combining with the sugar first would have an effect on curdling. Do you know the science here?

-sugar (raises the temperature for coagulation)

https://www.incredibleegg.org/professionals/manufacturers/real-egg-functionality/coagulation-thickening

Don't know if this helps, but it seems there are several scientific papers on the subject as well  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1