• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

36 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

What is the brand on that? Any thoughts on approximate age? Google images failed me. I do recognize the lid on the floor to the right 😂.

Viva by Ariete - aka Viva Gelatiera Compact. 

Italian made - not sure of age - I think maybe 70's? Here is an article LA times from 1987.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Viva by Ariete - aka Viva Gelatiera Compact. 

Italian made - not sure of age - I think maybe 70's? Here is an article LA times from 1987.

You found the same reference! Wasn’t sure if it would be available to you with all the country and regional restrictions on content. I was leaning toward 80’s. They say salt, but high proof alcohol would surely be better!

23 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

You found the same reference! Wasn’t sure if it would be available to you with all the country and regional restrictions on content. I was leaning toward 80’s. They say salt, but high proof alcohol would surely be better!

Here is the manual for the Williams Sonoma version. Talks about the brine. 

• Like 1

Staying with machines that require a pre-frozen inner container, we have a mini-collection of Donviers.    I keep three one quart inserts in the freezer.    (I have bought these at garage sales and flea markets anytime they are under $5, and have given away probably half a dozen.   I am really an advocate of these simple machines.)    The Donvier is idiot proof as long as you make sure the freezing unit has been solidly frozen; 48 hours is good.    Ice cream, sorbets, sweet and savory, all 20 minutes away from the idea, itch.    Firm soft serve product that improves with an hour ripening in the freezer.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Staying with machines that require a pre-frozen inner container, we have a mini-collection of Donviers.    I keep three one quart inserts in the freezer.    (I have bought these at garage sales and flea markets anytime they are under $5, and have given away probably half a dozen.   I am really an advocate of these simple machines.)    The Donvier is idiot proof as long as you make sure the freezing unit has been solidly frozen; 48 hours is good.    Ice cream, sorbets, sweet and savory, all 20 minutes away from the idea, itch.    Firm soft serve product that improves with an hour ripening in the freezer.   

I used to use the Donviers to transport ice cream I made in the compressor machines

• Like 2

Ive used Donviers for a few years

in UpState NY while visiting.  Creamery 

almost within walking distance.

they D's worked fine

after the first attempt I left the ice cream too long in the D.

needed a chisel to get it out.

IO should be pleased that was about 4 times a year

the fat content of that cream was remarkable.

you almost had to reserve it in advance.

which i did.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I used to use the Donviers to transport ice cream I made in the compressor machines

We keep one of these beasts in the country.    Weighs a ton, but works a charm.    I bought it at a garage sale from a bitter ex-partner.    $35.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We keep one of these beasts in the country.    Weighs a ton, but works a charm.    I bought it at a garage sale from a bitter ex-partner.    $35.  

Got rid of the Simac I had - weighed too much to move around and owned too much counter space.

• Like 2

I think the Italian machines (Lello, Simac, Viva by Ariete) were/maybe still are the best. (I also think Lello Simac is one company, at least now).

That Viva machine sure had a lot of parts; they simplified things as time went on.

Don't think for a minute I didn't have one of these...

IMG_4534.thumb.jpeg.c2e51020bc7812d382f018362896fc62.jpeg\\

It was always annoying, too much work, not enough freezer space. It was an intro, however.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think the Italian machines (Lello, Simac, Viva by Ariete) were/maybe still are the best. (I aslso think Lello Simac is one company, at least now).

That Viva machine sure had a lot of parts; they simplified things as time went on.

Don't think for a minute I didn't have one of these...

It was always annoying, too much work, not enough freezer space. It was an intro, however.

Exactly - gateway tool

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Got rid of the Simac I had - weighed too much to move around and owned too much counter space.

Exactly.   That's why it lives in the country, plugged in on a counter in the summer kitchen.    I stopped lugging it around a few years ago but enjoy using it during fruit seasons.  

eGullet member #80.

38 minutes ago, weinoo said:

These still work well for us.   The key, for me, was to leave them in the freezer so that they are always at maximum chill.   I don't have any issues using them, and altho instructions warn against doing so, I store small, i.e., pint, containers inside each so there is minimum lost freezer space.   

eGullet member #80.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, weinoo said:

IMG_4495.thumb.jpeg.d82041f2248a793ae7815fbaed4c15e1.jpeg

Back to my old fave; 2 scoops vanilla, Philadelphia-style. And lemon sorbet. Neither of these was fully hardened in the freezer; more like 2 or 3 hours at most.

The Whynter machine is much different than my old, beloved, passed on to a friend, Lello Gelato. The Lello, with its smaller bowl and perhaps more efficient freezer, froze stuff faster than the Whynter. And a bit more solidly, at least at the point where I think it's done.  But now I'm leaving the ice cream in the Whynter for at least 10 minutes after it's done spinning on its cold only function; seems to be a little easier to scoop out that way.

Both machines, by the way, are a bit of a pain in the ass to fully excise the ice cream from. Which means I spend time over the sink "cleaning" off the dasher!

What Whynter do you have? 15 or 200?

They are indeed quite underpowered, all of them. 130, 160w is not enough. Not for cooling, and not for churning. Most as soon as it gets a little hard, it just stops, cannot churn further due lack of power. They are obviously slow aswell, the fastest one I believe is the musso with 65rpm. The whynter 15 has 55rpm and the whynter 200 is really slow with 28rpm

About leaving the ice cream in the machine, just getting it cold. I tried it the last time. The problem is that the ice cream that is in contact with the bowl freezes really fast and gets to a really good texture, but blocks/isolates the cold from the rest of the ice cream that is in the middle. Even if you mix it manually, it freezes again quite fast, and its quite hard to do it due to the design of the bowl, that has a hole in the middle.

About the extracting and cleaning, what I do is when its finished, I remove only the dasher without turning off the machine, remove all the ice cream in it and throw it to the sink. Then I extract the bowl from the machine and turn it over to the recipient I will use. At least mine is not sticky at all, and gets warm quite fast, so its not hard to remove. Obviously not even close to a professional machine that literally comes out by itself through a hole, but well. About the dasher, its incredible that it gets greasy from the cream fat, but the rest doesn't. You just need to use hot water and it cleans extremely easy, don't use cold water because it doesn't remove grease

Eating the ice cream as soon as it leaves the machine is quite hard, as its extremely soft, even for me that I leave the machine doing the full process. But with some hours of freezer its ready. The other day I set the freezer way too high, and when I wanted to eat the ice cream, it was completely frozen solid, I couldn't even insert the spoon at all, so I had to wait at least 5 to 10 minutes. The temperature was -28º C xD. When it reached -15º it become good enough, and on -12 it was perfect. But that obviously had to do with the PAC I choose for my recipe

This is the one I have...https://www.whynter.com/product/whynter-2-1-quart-upright-ice-cream-maker-stainless-steel-bowl-black/

It's 180 watts, but I don't think that's as important as maybe the design, etc.

From the specs, it gets cold enough, but I'm no engineer so I have no idea how that translates to the spinning power of the dasher.  

Makes delicious ice cream, and like most kitchen appliances, as one learns how to get the most out of a product, it becomes easier and more friendly to use.

• Like 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

No fancy quenelles for me!

Indeed. By the time it gets where it’s going it will all look the same.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Evidently not!  Oh, to be an old ice cream machine...

(Philly style, or custard based?? Enquiring minds...)

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Evidently not!  Oh, to be an old ice cream machine...

(Philly style, or custard based?? Enquiring minds...)

Sort of a bastardized custard - I make a custard out of 1 yolk and some milk - put whole eggs, cocoa powder and sugar in thermomix and pour the hot custard in, then add cream, milk and a bit of vanilla. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, weinoo said:

This is the one I have...https://www.whynter.com/product/whynter-2-1-quart-upright-ice-cream-maker-stainless-steel-bowl-black/

It's 180 watts, but I don't think that's as important as maybe the design, etc.

From the specs, it gets cold enough, but I'm no engineer so I have no idea how that translates to the spinning power of the dasher.  

Makes delicious ice cream, and like most kitchen appliances, as one learns how to get the most out of a product, it becomes easier and more friendly to use.

Indeed. That one is good. It has a good freezer, although I dont know why they reduced so much the speed of the dasher on top models. Same happens with the cuisinart. It spins at half speed compared to the lower model, but it has better freezing power, and probably better churning strength

Anyway its like you say, you have to make the proper recipe, and the all the procedures the right way in order to get the best ice cream

My last batch ended up extremely well, and I'm not using emulsifiers yet, but it looks like proper ice cream already. I have to work a little with the taste, as its still a little "milky", but I'm close

I will post photos later. As soon as I get some emulsifier, probably monoesterate, it should improve even more. I don't think that is the issue, but I have to consider that the milky flavor could come from the lack of emulsifier, due to the ingredients not mixing entirely. As the formula is correct as I checked with many many resources

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3502.thumb.JPG.7be95a79a49f6711c4bb95a4328068d0.JPG

IMG_3504.thumb.JPG.eea796dab394a3e9e5e309e156a7272f.JPG

IMG_3509.thumb.JPG.19a7bce3933fd9dc8c5864edbe8dbc96.JPG

Are you using stabilizers?

Is the second photo when you retrieve the mix from the machine, before freezing it?

Are you using a mixer to homogenize everything before churning?

Lots of questions xD

8 minutes ago, Synerge said:

Is the second photo when you retrieve the mix from the machine, before freezing it?

Lots of questions xD

I can attest for Kerry that she has an homogenizer.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Is there any need to use an homogenizer when starting with homogenized milk?

I don't believe I use any emulsifiers either. I've pretty much settled on Dana Cree's methodology.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 hours ago, Synerge said:

Lots of questions xD

No stabilizers, yes second photo where I dig it out before putting in freezer - leaving my homogenizer in the drawer!

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Is there any need to use an homogenizer when starting with homogenized milk?

I don't believe I use any emulsifiers either. I've pretty much settled on Dana Cree's methodology.

Tell me more about Dana Cree's methods?

36 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tell me more about Dana Cree's methods?

For each of 4 frozen styles of confection, she has a blank slate recipe, which I like. (Custard, Philadelphia style, sherbet, yogurt). Thgen each of those chapters has a number of recipes based on different flavorings.

She goes pretty exhaustively into the science of ice cream, in ways which I can almost understand. And then more so into ratios, percentages, etc. etc. 

She allows to use any one of four "texture agents" in her recipes (commercial stabilizer, gums, tapioca starch or cornstarch).

And they just come out damn good to my taste.  Here is a sample custard recipe...https://www.fodmapeveryday.com/recipes/vanilla-ice-cream/

And a Philly style one...https://foodcrumbles.com/philadelphia-style-ice-cream-an-eggless-chocolate-ice-cream/

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog