• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm assuming that the cream is the 40% MF variety?  

I believe that is correct for all the recipes in her book.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

35 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Well, I haven't made it yet.  As you can see, I just now got the ingredient list.  I have never heard of canistel fruit, so I looked it up.  The bit I read said it sort of tastes like peach.

I meant to quote JoNorvelle as she was the one that posted the recipe, but didn't and then your post snuck in before mine.  The canistel fruit is also known as an "Egg fruit" and doesn't taste anything like a peach.  More like an eggy mango.  :)

Using 17 grams less fat (35% versus 40%) won't make any difference to these recipes.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jandreas said:

I meant to quote JoNorvelle as she was the one that posted the recipe, but didn't and then your post snuck in before mine.  The canistel fruit is also known as an "Egg fruit" and doesn't taste anything like a peach.  More like an eggy mango.  :)

Using 17 grams less fat (35% versus 40%) won't make any difference to these recipes.   

Rose suggests that one can add butter, but personally I would not bother.

On 8/31/2020 at 7:47 AM, teonzo said:

I bring some milk to the boil, add the fresh mint leaves, wait for about 1 minute, blitz with an immersion blender, then strain it, weigh the remaining flavoured milk and proceed with the recipe.

Cooking the mint for 1 minute is long enough to avoid the oxidization problem and quick enough to avoid the "cooked" flavour. Blitzing the leaves with the immersion blender helps you to extract more flavour, then you strain it to discard the fibers (which lost most of their flavour).

This is my favourite way both about taste and consistency. Personally I can't stand peppermint oil, it tastes "fake".

It does taste fake, like mouthwash or candycanes or most of the world's mint ice cream. But I think it can be useful in minute quantities. If you use a fraction of what someone would use if it were the sole flavor ingredient, you can bring back some of the vibrance that fresh mint loses in extraction processes. I always want the fresh mint flavor to dominate, and the oil to fill in holes in the background. 

Has anyone experimented with cold-infusions of mint? 

I'll try the one-minute method and see how it goes. My garden is full of mint at the moment.

Notes from the underbelly

On 8/31/2020 at 8:36 AM, beauxeault said:

Regarding the discussion about mint, I tend to prefer spearmint to peppermint when I have the choice in hard candies, but what I've read suggests that the mint flavoring used in home cooking seems to almost always be peppermint. And yet, most of the baked goods (both home-made and commercial) that incorporate a mint flavor don't seem to have the sharpness that I dislike in peppermint hard candies. So is there something about including peppermint in other flavors that ameliorates its sharpness, or are people using a non-peppermint mint? 

And what about the mint plants I can get from the local nursery or even the grocery store, or also the mint leaves I can buy? They say "mint" but don't seem to be peppermint, and yet almost all mint flavorings I can find seem to be peppermint. I've seen some spearmint extracts, but they seem to be relatively rare.

I haven't found sharpness to be a problem when infusing mint into ice cream. The problems are more about avoiding cooked, grassy, and vegetal flavors, while retaining a real sense of the fresh mint. 

We have the same problems identifying garden mint. Absolutely no idea what variety we're growing now. It tastes more like peppermint than spearmint, but I think there are dozens of possible types.

6 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Has anyone experimented with cold-infusions of mint? 

I tried that without much satisfaction: I needed tons of mint, results were not consistent, taste was a bit muted. I tried even the method of grinding the leaves with sugar. That is my favourite for most herbs (bay leaf, savory, rosemary...) but not for mint. I even tried sous vide at 70°C. After all these tries I decided for the method I wrote. Can't say if it works for all the other mint subspecies.

6 hours ago, paulraphael said:

We have the same problems identifying garden mint. Absolutely no idea what variety we're growing now. It tastes more like peppermint than spearmint, but I think there are dozens of possible types.

There are literally dozens of subspecies, and a lot of confusion about their names. I tried to get a grasp of them a couple times and ended up with huge headaches, all the sources I checked had contradictions. So I just decided to call it a day, keep the kind I like, call it a generic "mint" and done.

Teo

Teo

21 hours ago, paulraphael said:

It does taste fake, like mouthwash or candycanes or most of the world's mint ice cream. But I think it can be useful in minute quantities. If you use a fraction of what someone would use if it were the sole flavor ingredient, you can bring back some of the vibrance that fresh mint loses in extraction processes. I always want the fresh mint flavor to dominate, and the oil to fill in holes in the background. 

Right - I literally used two drops.  Of this stuff (maybe I should've used the spearmint?):

IMG_2137.jpeg.57ac9dc42f9d2494b0f2b66675bc890a.jpeg

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Paul. If you use LBG how do you hydrate your stabilizer mix if you don’t cook till 85C?  I think your process for non chocolate base only pasteurizes in the mid 70s correct? 

do you just let it be and just don’t hydrate 100%?

4 hours ago, ccp900 said:

Paul. If you use LBG how do you hydrate your stabilizer mix if you don’t cook till 85C?  I think your process for non chocolate base only pasteurizes in the mid 70s correct? 

do you just let it be and just don’t hydrate 100%?

Great question. You have to find brands that hydrate at lower temperatures. I use TIC Gums POR/A, which hydrates at 165°F. The LBG sold by Modernist Pantry has the same specification and is probably the same stuff repackaged. Will Powders' version may also hydrate at low temps ... can't remember for sure.

43 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Great question. You have to find brands that hydrate at lower temperatures. I use TIC Gums POR/A, which hydrates at 165°F. The LBG sold by Modernist Pantry has the same specification and is probably the same stuff repackaged. Will Powders' version may also hydrate at low temps ... can't remember for sure.

Ahhh. Thanks Paul!

I needed some cream (not for ice cream) but amazon was out of the cream I normally use.  I took what I could get which is the type of cream Rose Levy Beranbaum calls for in Ice Cream Bliss, specifically Organic Valley Organic Heavy Whipping Cream.  In addition to being ultra pasteurized and high fat, the Organic Valley cream contains gellan gum.  Makes me wonder if gellan gum is a mysterious unmentioned ingredient in Rose's recipes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I needed some cream (not for ice cream) but amazon was out of the cream I normally use.  I took what I could get which is the type of cream Rose Levy Beranbaum calls for in Ice Cream Bliss, specifically Organic Valley Organic Heavy Whipping Cream.  In addition to being ultra pasteurized and high fat, the Organic Valley cream contains gellan gum.  Makes me wonder if gellan gum is a mysterious unmentioned ingredient in Rose's recipes.

I think so. It will add to your stabilizer emulsifier blend then.  But you’ve been getting great outcomes with your normal cream so it may not play a big part.

plus I think the recipes are high fat high solids so you get a lot of viscosity as well as emulsifiers in the multitude of yolks so it won’t matter in the end

• Like 1

Opposite question from what is normally desired...if I want an eggless, stabilizer free (I have no powders) ice cream that freezes hard, what would you suggest? My intention is not to scoop, but to freeze as pops.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

14 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Opposite question from what is normally desired...if I want an eggless, stabilizer free (I have no powders) ice cream that freezes hard, what would you suggest? My intention is not to scoop, but to freeze as pops.

What about making the Lebovitz "classic" Philadelphia style ice cream?  Milk, cream, sugar are about it.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Maybe so. I avoid milk and cream that have added stabilizers, just because there's no way to know exactly how much of what is in there. I'm not courting additional mysteries. It's possible that there's enough gum in these creams to muck with your stabilizer formulas. It's also possible that it's just enough to make up for the viscosity lost during ultra-pasteurization, and you won't notice a difference. I really don't know.

8 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I'd be inclined to go light on sugar, and don't use anything besides table sugar (unless you can find a sweetener that has less freezing point depression for the same sweetness). And maybe skip the cream, or go light on it. Popsicles don't usually have dairy in them ... the lactose in the dairy depresses the freezing point. And the fat displaces some of the water. So if you just try to make pops with an ice cream formula they may be too soft. You won't have enough ice. Just a guess—I haven't played with popsicles. There's no problem with leaving out eggs or stabilizers. They won't do anything helpful in a popsicle, unless you like the effect they have on the melted texture. 

Thanks-I was figuring on reducing the sugar a bit and maybe incorporating some fruit puree with minimal sugar to increase the possibility of having it freeze a bit more solidly. Most of the ice cream pops are enrobed in chocolate (or something resembling chocolate). The pops I made with a skyr/heavy cream base froze solidly enough, my molds are pretty small (4 oz I believe). I don't mind eating the failed experiments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Thanks-I was figuring on reducing the sugar a bit and maybe incorporating some fruit puree with minimal sugar to increase the possibility of having it freeze a bit more solidly. Most of the ice cream pops are enrobed in chocolate (or something resembling chocolate). The pops I made with a skyr/heavy cream base froze solidly enough, my molds are pretty small (4 oz I believe). I don't mind eating the failed experiments.

Also, did you check the popsicle thread? Some people there really know what they're doing.

• Like 1