• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

6 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Well said.   This comes close to a universal truth in cooking.  

There is almost nothing new anyway......it’s just twists to what we have now.....beg borrow steal hehe

I use "steal" affectionately ... as in, "good artists borrow; great artists steal." Which may or may not be true, but it's fun to say. 

A nice thing about contemporary cooking culture is that most chefs give away their ideas freely. Recipe ideas aren't considered intellectual property. And if you have cooks working for you, there's no way to keep your tricks secret. So the best way to get credit for your ideas is to publish them. Get them into as many hands as possible, and everyone will know what you did.

And then when someone takes your idea and turns it into something amazing and different, they'll publish their version ... and return the favor.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

1 minute ago, paulraphael said:

I use "steal" affectionately ... as in, "good artists borrow; great artists steal." 

I understand where you are coming from though steal us a loaded term.  Long ago the idea was that the list of ingredients was ok to publish but not.the method. Intellectual property is not my legal field. My issue when I do give out recipes is - if ya don't do it right it will disappoint.  Instead come cook with me. - that works. General idea sharing is pretty much the current internet space norm. Oh the borrow steal phrase is eluding my tiny mind in terms of distinction - just a comment.

Dug out the beast, our 30 year old machine that we snagged back then at a jilted lover garage sale.    Still works a charm.

325151029_ScreenShot2020-08-14at2_26_50PM.thumb.png.ead0cb4ce0e845cdd7b51cae02132850.png

Today, peach.   Having listened (really, I did!) to all of the good info here, I dipped a toe in the Philodelphia style pool, using Greenspan's recent recipe that uses honey, dried milk and vodka.      This scoop is after a= hour ripening in the freezer.    No noticeable textural differences yet but will continue to diligently research and report as it sets up more.  

499025208_ScreenShot2020-08-14at2_29_17PM.thumb.png.6ec87b740676ccd5c788081431bd65ce.png

At this point the flavor is disappointingly light on peach, heavy on cream.    Also it is sweet.  FYI there was 3T honey in a quart product/12 oz peach.

eGullet member #80.

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Dug out the beast, our 30 year old machine that we snagged back then at a jilted lover garage sale.    Still works a charm.

Today, peach.   Having listened (really, I did!) to all of the good info here, I dipped a toe in the Philodelphia style pool, using Greenspan's recent recipe that uses honey, dried milk and vodka.      This scoop is after a= hour ripening in the freezer.    No noticeable textural differences yet but will continue to diligently research and report as it sets up more.  

At this point the flavor is disappointingly light on peach, heavy on cream.    Also it is sweet.  FYI there was 3T honey in a quart product/12 oz peach.

Maybe you are one of those poor peeps that has really good & sweet peaches ;)  Lovely machine find.

Edited by heidih (log)

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

325151029_ScreenShot2020-08-14at2_26_50PM.thumb.png.ead0cb4ce0e845cdd7b51cae02132850.png

499025208_ScreenShot2020-08-14at2_29_17PM.thumb.png.6ec87b740676ccd5c788081431bd65ce.png

My Simac Il Gelataio is in the hall closet at my son's house.  Excellent ice cream.  Not as convenient as my Cuisinart ICE-100.  I am so sad Simac got bought out and went out of business.  Wonderful products.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Dana Crees tip is to make sherbet when using delicate fruit flavors maybe that’s the ticket to solving the light flavor you are experiencing 

• Like 2

That's a cool beast of a machine...and yeah, buyouts are annoying!

Since the ice creams I'm often making tend to start out similarly...

Chocolate.jpeg.dc21140932a69ec00461a48c50147ac0.jpeg

I have to remind myself which side of the stove is which. Otherwise, all hell breaks loose for sure!

Yesterday's experiments...

252508449_Chocolateandvanilla08-14.jpeg.9d0aef69c025cf7f89badfede79f2dc7.jpeg

The chocolate is "The Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream in the World" from Jeni's Splendid.

The vanilla is "Blank Slate Philadelphia-Style Ice Cream" (flavored with vanilla, obviously) from Hello, My Name Is Ice Cream.

Recipes were followed to the letter...if the letter also includes half recipes. My old Lello beast spun them in 15 minutes or less - it seems to really like spinning pints quickly - but it sounds wheezier and wheezier every time I use it - or I'm just imagining that so I can have an excuse to buy a Whynter. It certainly seems like the refrigerant is still fine - it's just the motor that the dasher gets spun by might not go for much longer.

These are both very good ice creams. The first chocolate I've made in a long time, and so, so chocolaty.

Good stuff.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 8/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, heidih said:

I understand where you are coming from though steal us a loaded term.  Long ago the idea was that the list of ingredients was ok to publish but not.the method. Intellectual property is not my legal field. My issue when I do give out recipes is - if ya don't do it right it will disappoint.  Instead come cook with me. - that works. General idea sharing is pretty much the current internet space norm. Oh the borrow steal phrase is eluding my tiny mind in terms of distinction - just a comment.

Intellectual property law has been well tested when it comes to recipes. Neither the ingredients nor the method is protected. All that can be protected is the exact wording of the recipe (which falls under copyright law, not patents or anything that can be connected to ideas). So if you describe the method in your own words, you're not violating copyright anymore than if you describe the plot of a story.

Some people take issue with this, and I understand why. I've just made peace with it. If I share a recipe, and you decide to give it away, I'd prefer if you share the exact wording. Same concern as yours ... please steal my actual ideas, not a bastardized version that's bound to disappoint.

The most petty trope in cooking is the grandma who gives away a recipe but leaves out a critical step so no one can make it as well as her. I haven't experienced this myself. I hope it's a dead idea.

• Like 3

So apologies for a very amateur question, but I figured this is probably the best place to ask it. I'm making ice cream using the ice bath and hand mixer method detailed in this article, but my issue is that the mixture isn't whipping up at all. I used this cheesecake ice cream base recipe, replacing the strawberries and graham crackers with peaches. The peaches were prepared similarly to the method in Adam Ragusea's video, being finely chopped, macerated, and the resulting juice strained into the ice cream base.

My guess is that there's too much water diluting the mixture, maybe from the added peach juice, preventing it from aerating, but I'm not sure. I've tried chilling the bowls in the freezer an extra couple hours to see if the salted ice bath wasn't cold enough, but that didn't solve the issue. I'll try adding more heavy cream next (plus sugar accordingly) and see if the issue's that the concentration of heavy cream is too low. What would you guys recommend doing?

2 hours ago, Cahoot said:

So apologies for a very amateur question, but I figured this is probably the best place to ask it. I'm making ice cream using the ice bath and hand mixer method detailed in this article, but my issue is that the mixture isn't whipping up at all. I used this cheesecake ice cream base recipe, replacing the strawberries and graham crackers with peaches. The peaches were prepared similarly to the method in Adam Ragusea's video, being finely chopped, macerated, and the resulting juice strained into the ice cream base.

My guess is that there's too much water diluting the mixture, maybe from the added peach juice, preventing it from aerating, but I'm not sure. I've tried chilling the bowls in the freezer an extra couple hours to see if the salted ice bath wasn't cold enough, but that didn't solve the issue. I'll try adding more heavy cream next (plus sugar accordingly) and see if the issue's that the concentration of heavy cream is too low. What would you guys recommend doing?

Hi cahoot. Aren’t you supposed to whip the cream before adding anything?  So whip to soft peaks. Mix condensed milk and flavor together. Fold the flavor condense mixture into the whipped cream

9 hours ago, ccp900 said:

Hi cahoot. Aren’t you supposed to whip the cream before adding anything?  So whip to soft peaks. Mix condensed milk and flavor together. Fold the flavor condense mixture into the whipped cream

The method described instructs to whip all the ingredients for the ice cream base together, and just fold in any mix-ins at the end. Since I'm guessing I've too much water diluting the fat in my base, would the best option (if adding some more heavy cream isn't enough) to save the batch to try letting it freeze, then blending it in a food processor? 

16 hours ago, Cahoot said:

The method described instructs to whip all the ingredients for the ice cream base together, and just fold in any mix-ins at the end. Since I'm guessing I've too much water diluting the fat in my base, would the best option (if adding some more heavy cream isn't enough) to save the batch to try letting it freeze, then blending it in a food processor? 

There’s another method where you freeze them in ice tray and then use food processor then re freeze. You can try that.  Or you can get a fresh batch of cream and whip that and then fold in the old batch. I hope it works out.

or you can go freeze and stir method just so the ingredients don’t get wasted

Blueberry08192020.png

Rose Levy Beranbaum's blueberry.  Tastes like blueberries.  As perhaps it should with $17.45 worth of New Jersey blueberries in the batch.  Not scoopable at -30C.  Scoopable at -18C.  Unlike most of Rose's recipes with up to ten yolks, this recipe is Philadelphia style.  Blueberries, cream, milk. lemon juice, and sugar.  Texture is delightful.  Mouthfeel is good but not perfect.  A bit waxy on the palate.  Rose has the cold milk and cream added to the mix before chilling.  In my opinion the recipe would be much improved if the milk and cream were cooked and properly homogenized.

Still there is not much not to like.

• Like 6

Gorgeous! But talk about some expensive ice cream - must've been a full quart?

I made a strawberry sherbet last night (it was like a 60's dinner party), with only $4 worth of strawberries from the guy on my corner. Half batch via Dana Cree. Base is milk, cream, sugar and glucose, with tapioca starch added after the mixture is cooked and on its way cooling. Then 125 g of strawberry purée (which I sieved after blending the strawberries) mixed with 50g of buttermilk and a little lemon (or citric acid) is all mixed with the base to chill. 

The strawberry comes through beautifully, and we both really enjoyed the texture - obviously lighter than ice cream, but wow - you could fool some people.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Question for @paulraphael et al.

Is the sodium citrate I have in my bag of modernist pantry ingredients the same as citric acid, and if not, is it an acceptable sub?

Not the same. It's actually alkaline. It's the magic ingredient for making mac 'n cheese with any cheese you like. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Not the same. It's actually alkaline. It's the magic ingredient for making mac 'n cheese with any cheese you like. 

I guess I'm glad I used a teaspoon of lemon juice!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

Gorgeous! But talk about some expensive ice cream - must've been a full quart?

Recipe says it makes 1.2 quarts.  About the same cost as Jeni's.

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Recipe says it makes 1.2 quarts.  About the same cost as Jeni's.

I've stopped adding up the cost of my ice cream ingredients. It's a luxury you have if you're not trying to sell and profit. Some of the flavors I make (especially chocolate) end up costing way more than anything you can buy. Even if you assume my time is worth nothing (which seems to be the world's opinion).

• Like 4

On 8/20/2020 at 12:14 PM, paulraphael said:

I've stopped adding up the cost of my ice cream ingredients. It's a luxury you have if you're not trying to sell and profit. Some of the flavors I make (especially chocolate) end up costing way more than anything you can buy. Even if you assume my time is worth nothing (which seems to be the world's opinion).

Oh, come on - I know you and your time is...valuable.

2038275155_Coffeevanillaicecreams08-21IMG_1956.jpeg.f611a4d39aa80adea15e18f6c40a51d0.jpeg

I realize my scooping prowess leaves much to be desired, but my ice cream is getting better.

Tahitian vanilla bean. George Howell single-origin espresso.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 7/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Rose Levy Beranbaum's book Rose's Ice Cream Bliss was recently published.  I'd had my copy on pre-order since last fall.  The first recipe I've now made is chocolate (pp134-136).  To the best of my remembrance I had never assayed chocolate ice cream in my life.  I was in uncharted territory.

Does Rose mean Pure Malt Powder, as the only Carnation brand malt powder I can find is "Malted milk powder" ? What did you use? Tnx

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Does Rose mean Pure Malt Powder, as the only Carnation brand malt powder I can find is "Malted milk powder" ? What did you use? Tnx

Good question.  For the chocolate ice cream recipe I used Carnation Malted Milk.  It's what I had and what I expect she means.  You could contact Rose on her site and ask.

HI,

I'm trying to learn about how to make an ice cream from books and websites but sometimes I'm feeling overwhelmed so I decided I will try to ask you. What is your desired relative sweetness? I was making vanilla ice cream from "Hello, my name is ice cream" and I found them super sweet. When David Lebovitz is using 150 g sucrose, here we have 150 g sucrose and 50 g glucose. How I could change it? I'm afraid that if I will use less sugar, the texture wouldn't be the same. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe add some skimmed milk instead of some part of sugar? Or add more dextrose instead?