• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help. 💛 I bought a nice 30%cream and found amazing fresh milk direct from the cow farm. I just don't really know what to do now. Do you have any experience with fresh milk? Should I pasteurize it in 65°C for half an hour before using it in my ice cream mixture? Or maybe I should just make the mixture as usual and pasteurize already with eggs ? I would like to make gelado according to Corvitto recepies. 

10 hours ago, coffeinca said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help. 💛 I bought a nice 30%cream and found amazing fresh milk direct from the cow farm. I just don't really know what to do now. Do you have any experience with fresh milk? Should I pasteurize it in 65°C for half an hour before using it in my ice cream mixture? Or maybe I should just make the mixture as usual and pasteurize already with eggs ? I would like to make gelado according to Corvitto recepies. 

I’m scared of raw milk hehe.  I suggest you follow the us standards, a short google would probably show you the temp and time.

i think you can do 1 pasteurizing while you cook the base. That’s what jeni used to do I think

Pasteurization varies from country to country.  @nathanm has time/temperature ice cream curves for the US in volume 1 of Modernist Cuisine.  @Ruben Porto has British ice cream pasteurization information on his website.  I'm sure there is some standard for Portugal.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I made Rose Levy Beranbaum's coconut ice cream.  All did not go well.  I spun the mix and consigned it to the blast freezer.  Went to bed.  Then the power went out for eleven hours.  Not sure if it is even worth respinning.  But it does taste like coconut.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@JoNorvelleWalker I just got the Beranbaum book in the mail today thanks to the praise you guys have given it, and coconut is the first to try on my list but I am currently waiting to get my kitchen back in service as it is being updated. Coconut is my favorite flavor of ice cream and I'm excited to get a different take on it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

@JoNorvelleWalker I just got the Beranbaum book in the mail today thanks to the praise you guys have given it, and coconut is the first to try on my list but I am currently waiting to get my kitchen back in service as it is being updated. Coconut is my favorite flavor of ice cream and I'm excited to get a different take on it.

Coconut lover here as well. Married to a Panamanian I was making my own milk from fresh cocos in the '70s. Curious if it uses some toasted coconut for accent or just all milk? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Curious if it uses some toasted coconut for accent or just all milk?

Toasted coconut is given as a topping at the end, with no toasting of the coconut before steeping or anything like that. I've only made it using toasted coconut ala @David Lebovitz, and usually take the toasting a little farther than I maybe should because I really love the flavor.

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2020 at 2:22 PM, coffeinca said:

I mean a fresh raw milk of course 🐄

I love raw milk (it's legal here in California.) Personally think the flavor is much better but I've never used it in ice cream.

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Coconut lover here as well. Married to a Panamanian I was making my own milk from fresh cocos in the '70s. Curious if it uses some toasted coconut for accent or just all milk? 

Toasted coconut is great as a topping to cherry pie, especially if it has no top crust.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I am surprised that my hurricane hardened and remelted coconut has not suffered as much as I had feared.  Yes, it is a bit icy.  Eleven hours without power does that to one.  I only wish the coconut flavor were a bit more pronounced.  I could taste the coconut in the mix, but when frozen it is much more subtle.  It is also a bit sweeter than I would like.  I have had worse.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:36 AM, ccp900 said:

I’m scared of raw milk hehe.  I suggest you follow the us standards, a short google would probably show you the temp and time.

i think you can do 1 pasteurizing while you cook the base. That’s what jeni used to do I think

All vaguely traditional ways of cooking the base will pasteurize it. They go far beyond what's required.

Notes from the underbelly

Am wanting to make a batch of Guinness Milk Chocolate ice cream so was reaching for a bottle of Guinness at the market when I saw this chocolate stout.    I realize itr is probably a junk product, altho it has a 91 rating, but found it amusing.    Will advise when it happens.

1086332569_ScreenShot2020-08-06at10_34_34AM.thumb.png.0cc8f3668a5832747201d3c29e7471fa.png

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

A local ice cream parlor in conjunction with a local brewer offered stout as a flavor.  It had a certain novelty value but I can't say I cared for it.

46 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A local ice cream parlor in conjunction with a local brewer offered stout as a flavor.  It had a certain novelty value but I can't say I cared for it.

Not sure how a straight stout ice cream would be, but this Milk chocolate Guinness ice cream 

is, IMHO, excellent.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

On 8/3/2020 at 12:28 PM, weinoo said:

I think that is when my beans are from!

But I vacuum sealed then. And the first package I opened when I started making ice cream again a few weeks ago - the beans were still in good shape.  Others here have had luck resurrecting them in their steam ovens.

Okay, taking one (or two) for the team:

IMG_1837.thumb.JPG.db29d1da0ca298a548b356a10cffb837.JPG

Vanilla Products Grade As were $2.20 a piece. The Villa Vainilla are Mexican vanilla beans from Papantla, and were $4 each. When I opened the outer package with the pouch of Vanilla Products' beans in it, the aroma was amazing. The other don't smell through their packaging, which is a sealed glass tube.

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Finally got around to (re)making Libovitz' Guinness Milk Cholocate ice cream

I subbed Young's double chocolate stout for Guinness.    Used Guylian Belgian milk chocolate.

550522077_ScreenShot2020-08-07at2_52_27PM.png.e6db88b8026da044cc05b16848c7aa1d.png

Lovely, lovely flavor, superb texture.    Except for the Guinness sub, I followed the recipe exactly.   Again, really fine results.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

That Guinness/chocolate is one of the best flavors in that book, everyone loves it, even those who don't drink any kind of beer at all. That sweetness of the chocolate countering the bitterness of the beer and then the creaminess shared by both... Wonderful combination.

• Delicious 1

Made two bases this morning, to spin later this afternoon.

Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream's Black Coffee and Ugandan vanilla

Followed the recipes EXACTLY (though i don't have Ugandan vanilla beans). Okay, maybe NOT exactly - I did 1/2 recipe of each instead of a quart of each; this way, if they suck, I can just start over and not feel so bad about the waste.

Quite interested to see how my first attempt at using both light corn syrup and cornstarch turns out.

She boils the milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup for 4 minutes before doing the cornstarch thing. Any idea why?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

She boils the milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup for 4 minutes before doing the cornstarch thing. Any idea why?

My guess is it's a home-friendly vague approximation of what she does in her commercial ice cream. She pasteurizes at a moderate temperature (I think she said 75°C) for close to an hour. At least this was when she was making the base in-house. The cooking is about denaturing the milk proteins to the right degree so they'll take the place of eggs as an emulsifier. She generally doesn't like eggs in her ice cream. Maybe she found that a 4-minute boil gets the job done reasonably well? 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly