• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

On 7/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, jandreas said:

The general rule of thumb from Corvitto for calculating the maximum percentage of skim milk powder that you can use before sandiness can become an issue...

Add up the percentage of sugar and fat in the mix, subtract that from 100 and divide by 6.9.  

If your ice cream has 16.5% sugar and 8% fat;

16.5 + 8 = 24.5

100 - 24.5 = 75.5

75.5 / 6.9  = Use a maximum of 10.94% skim milk powder.

And depending on how much of a control freak you are;  there are all sorts of additional rules that can come into play, ex. your protein levels shouldn't be more than 50% whey.  The degree of polymerization of your solids will affect when things start turning sandy too.  But the Corvitto rule is "safe".

Thanks jandreas I’m not sure why I missed your comment there.apologies

why is 6.9 chosen? 

Edited by ccp900 (log)

1 hour ago, ccp900 said:

Thanks jandreas I’m not sure why I missed your comment there.apologies

why is 6.9 chosen? 

The basic idea is that in an unstabilized solution, you can have problems if the milk solids non-fat concentration is greater than 1 part in 7 parts water. This is a very loose approximation; there are many other factors. The water activity of other dissolved solids is one. Temperature is another. Solutions are more stable at lower temperatures, BUT ... because of fractional freezing, the concentration of msnf goes up and up and up the more hard-frozen the ice cream is. So the temperature relationship is completely non-linear.

Corvitto's formula is an even more vague approximation than the 1:7 rule, because there are sources of msnf besides milk powder (like, milk and cream). And because there are solids besides fat and sugar. So with his equation, in addition to using a rather rough general principle, you're just guessing at the quantities of both msnf and water.

But happily, the shortcut is very simple: if you use stabilizers, you shouldn't have to worry about any of this unless you're trying to do something extreme.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

Thanks for the input Paula nd ccp900.  

CCP900, your comment about not enought water is what my gut reaction was.  The ice cream does seem dry.  I think I'll make it again and see if i get the same results to double check I didn't somehow weigh an ingredient incorrectly.  Unfortunately I don't have any carragean otherwise I would try that.  If I wanted to make the ice cream even softer what would you do? Increase the granulated sugar? The ice cream definitely wasn't too sweet.  Increase both the sugar and dextrose, or maybe even the invert syrup?  BTW, my freezer temp is set at 0 F and the ice cream texture did not improve as it warmed up.  

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

The basic idea is that in an unstabilized solution, you can have problems if the milk solids non-fat concentration is greater than 1 part in 7 parts water. This is a very loose approximation; there are many other factors. The water activity of other dissolved solids is one. Temperature is another. Solutions are more stable at lower temperatures, BUT ... because of fractional freezing, the concentration of msnf goes up and up and up the more hard-frozen the ice cream is. So the temperature relationship is completely non-linear.

Corvitto's formula is an even more vague approximation than the 1:7 rule, because there are sources of msnf besides milk powder (like, milk and cream). And because there are solids besides fat and sugar. So with his equation, in addition to using a rather rough general principle, you're just guessing at the quantities of both msnf and water.

But happily, the shortcut is very simple: if you use stabilizers, you shouldn't have to worry about any of this unless you're trying to do something extreme.

Thanks Paul. I was thinking about your points too because deducting fat and sugar from 100 leaves a lot of other items like other sources of fat and other sources of solids like cocoa or nuts. But like you said as a general rule it will work but I want to be able to push things a little more to know the limits of what I can balance and solids balancing is important without me having to resort to items like inulin maltodextrin or even whey protein isolates and concentrates. The easier I can get the ingredients the faster I can make ice cream and the more natural I can keep it.

that said I would really like to use psyllium husk and inulin for health purposes. Expensive though and hard to find here

9 minutes ago, SeanT said:

CCP900, your comment about not enought water is what my gut reaction was.  The ice cream does seem dry.  I think I'll make it again and see if i get the same results to double check I didn't somehow weigh an ingredient incorrectly.  Unfortunately I don't have any carragean otherwise I would try that.  If I wanted to make the ice cream even softer what would you do? Increase the granulated sugar? The ice cream definitely wasn't too sweet.  Increase both the sugar and dextrose, or maybe even the invert syrup?  BTW, my freezer temp is set at 0 F and the ice cream texture did not improve as it warmed up.  

That dry texture your describing may be going on at the level of the water / fat emulsion. You don't have too little water. You've got about 40% total solids, whch is great if you like a lot of body. You've got about 14% milk fat, which most people would find close to ideal in a vanilla ice cream. 

The high solids level would tend to promote a more luxurious, or even elastic texture than what you describe, which is why I find your results surprising. 

More water / lower solids will just encourage iciness and give a thinner body. If it also solves this texture problem, then I'd say that you've found a workaround, but haven't really solved the root problem—which is something I'm really just guessing at right now.

Edited to add: one way to use inulin for health purposes is to put it in your smoothie, and eat less ice cream ;)

32 minutes ago, SeanT said:

If it’s really just the softness you are after then I would just play around with dextrose and sucrose and invert sugar

as an example,

just using these 2 ingredients (just as an example)

original

50g sucrose = 50 pod 50 pac

50 g dextrose = 35 pod 95 pac

20g invert =  26 pod 33 pac

Total.                   111 pod 178 pac

New

0 sucrose

75g dextrose = 53 pod 143 pac

45g invert sugar = 59 pod 75 pac

total                         112pod 218 pac

of course you have to also factor in the solids content of the sugar etc but the calculation shows the point 

Edited by ccp900 (log)

21 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Edited to add: one way to use inulin for health purposes is to put it in your smoothie, and eat less ice cream ;)

Where’s the fun in that....I may have used the wrong word....I didn’t mean healthy...what I meant to say was healthi-ERRRR

25 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

That dry texture your describing may be going on at the level of the water / fat emulsion. You don't have too little water. You've got about 40% total solids, whch is great if you like a lot of body. You've got about 14% milk fat, which most people would find close to ideal in a vanilla ice cream. 

The high solids level would tend to promote a more luxurious, or even elastic texture than what you describe, which is why I find your results surprising. 

More water / lower solids will just encourage iciness and give a thinner body. If it also solves this texture problem, then I'd say that you've found a workaround, but haven't really solved the root problem—which is something I'm really just guessing at right now.

Agree with Paul. Beauty of balancing. You would like to keep your solids at 40 so it’s a matter of finding what solid to replace your lactose with.  Paul’s opinion is still valid because of the stabilizer you shouldn’t have the Sandiness issue.

you can try reducing your skim milk to 50g and see where that takes you.  
you can try replacing that 20g of skim milk that you removed with 20g of cream and try where that takes you

if you have access to whey powder try replacing the 20g with whey powder and see where that takes you

44 minutes ago, SeanT said:

Sean another way of looking at the problem is not the fact that you don’t have enough water. We can also look at it from the perspective that you have too much water hungry elements like lactose

Thanks for the additional input.  I'm eager to try that recipe again to see the results.  Paul - if you wanted to make the ice cream softer would you increase the sugar or the solids?   CCP - I like your idea of increasing the cream and will probably do that in my next iteration while I remake the previous recipe.  I'm intrigued by the whey powder suggestion.... i've thought about it often but never have tried it.  I have it on hand for my protein shakes I take after working out and would like it if my ice cream had a higher protein content since I'm usually looking to increase my protein intake and if i could do it with ice cream all the better. Ha!  How have your results been when using it? 

18 minutes ago, SeanT said:

Thanks for the additional input.  I'm eager to try that recipe again to see the results.  Paul - if you wanted to make the ice cream softer would you increase the sugar or the solids?   CCP - I like your idea of increasing the cream and will probably do that in my next iteration while I remake the previous recipe.  I'm intrigued by the whey powder suggestion.... i've thought about it often but never have tried it.  I have it on hand for my protein shakes I take after working out and would like it if my ice cream had a higher protein content since I'm usually looking to increase my protein intake and if i could do it with ice cream all the better. Ha!  How have your results been when using it? 

To be honest I haven’t tried it, but a lot of white papers are available on scientific experiments.  There’s 1 you can download on using WPIs vs WPCs.

1 hour ago, SeanT said:

Paul - if you wanted to make the ice cream softer would you increase the sugar or the solids? 

We're just talking about it seeming too hard-frozen, yes? If this is the only problem, I'd just change the ratio of sugars. More dextrose, a little less sucrose.

Is your freezer very cold, and you don't want to wait to be able to scoop? There are some drawbacks to going for too much freezing point depression. It will mean that at storage temperature, a lot of water remains unfrozen, and is free to move around and make bigger ice crystals. This is why we set things up so the ice cream has to warm up when it comes out of the freezer.

My first troubleshooting step to fix the sandiness would be to add just a bit of carrageenan. I wouldn't expect this to be necessary, but I can't think of anything else. Your formula is very similar to what I use most often, except for the stabilizer details, and I've never encountered sandiness or a short texture. 

30 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

We're just talking about it seeming too hard-frozen, yes? If this is the only problem, I'd just change the ratio of sugars. More dextrose, a little less sucrose.

Is your freezer very cold, and you don't want to wait to be able to scoop? There are some drawbacks to going for too much freezing point depression. It will mean that at storage temperature, a lot of water remains unfrozen, and is free to move around and make bigger ice crystals. This is why we set things up so the ice cream has to warm up when it comes out of the freezer.

My first troubleshooting step to fix the sandiness would be to add just a bit of carrageenan. I wouldn't expect this to be necessary, but I can't think of anything else. Your formula is very similar to what I use most often, except for the stabilizer details, and I've never encountered sandiness or a short texture. 

Maybe there’s some impurity that seeded it? Like something in the sugar that shouldn’t be in there

like you said there’s nothing that seems fundamentally wrong with the balance so it may be an external factor

Edited by ccp900 (log)

The recipe was both sandy in texture and still quite hard given my expectations and definitely not soft or easy to scoop.  I hadn't thought about larger ice crystals at a lower freezing point. My freezer is set at 0 F except when i churn ice cream, the day before I lower it to -3 F so it freezes faster and then I move it back to 0 F after 24 hours. And full disclosure I haven't actually tested to see how accurate the freezer is.   I think along with making the recipe again as I listed it, I'll increase the dextrose on the second batch. Maybe to 60-65 gram.  Do you think I could also increase the sucrose?  There is room for it to be sweeter for sure.  If that doesn't move me closer to what I'm looking for I'll put carrageenan on my shopping list.  I'd love to get a recipe that's very easy to scoop at 0 F in my freezer. Maybe its not possible, this is where my knowledge/experience is lacking....

7 hours ago, SeanT said:

The recipe was both sandy in texture and still quite hard given my expectations and definitely not soft or easy to scoop.  I hadn't thought about larger ice crystals at a lower freezing point. My freezer is set at 0 F except when i churn ice cream, the day before I lower it to -3 F so it freezes faster and then I move it back to 0 F after 24 hours. And full disclosure I haven't actually tested to see how accurate the freezer is.   I think along with making the recipe again as I listed it, I'll increase the dextrose on the second batch. Maybe to 60-65 gram.  Do you think I could also increase the sucrose?  There is room for it to be sweeter for sure.  If that doesn't move me closer to what I'm looking for I'll put carrageenan on my shopping list.  I'd love to get a recipe that's very easy to scoop at 0 F in my freezer. Maybe its not possible, this is where my knowledge/experience is lacking....

Sean. Try the sugar swap I recommended. Youll get same sweetness but more pac

23 hours ago, ccp900 said:

Got a chance to check my laptop.  The ice cream I’m making now will have the following numbers.  This is a nut based flavor so I took into account the hardening effect of nut fat

numbers are percentages

milk fat 8.49

milk solids not fat 11.83

other fat 4.00

other solids 5.54

sugar 11.59

total solids 41.44

total water 58.56

lactose 9.77 - 57.64grams

pod 120

pac 176 due to nut fat hardening. I also wanted to have a harder ice cream out of the freezer

i will report back in 1 or 2 days to see if there is a gritty sandy texture

After 6 hours of hardening the ice cream does not feel gritty.  I’ll report back tomorrow after a full day of hardening

On 7/25/2020 at 7:54 PM, ccp900 said:

After 6 hours of hardening the ice cream does not feel gritty.  I’ll report back tomorrow after a full day of hardening

Yep. The ice cream is not gritty. It is hard as expected but the mouthfeel is smooth. It is colder in the mouth so I might have to play with the coldness but that would mean using more fat and air which I can’t add more of. I have already used so much skim milk powder so I can’t add more there. Air is my best choice now but I am limited by my machine using a cuisinart ice 100

i could lower the freezing point too but I’d rather have a harder ice cream which I need to temper 3 mins than a fast melting one

Edited by ccp900 (log)

On 7/25/2020 at 2:26 AM, paulraphael said:

Paul. Can I get your expert opinion pls.  Here are the

numbers are percentages

milk fat 8.49

other fat 4.00

other solids 5.54

sugar 11.59

total solids 41.44

total water 58.56

pod 120

pac 176 due to nut fat hardening.

it isn’t gritty but I just noticed it now. When I get a spoon of the ice cream and I put it in my mouth it feels very very cold. When I bite into the ice cream there seems to be some very small ice crunches not large and it can’t be detected by the tongue since when I melt it on my tongue it seems ok but when I bite into it it feels a bit crunchy.  Would you consider this iciness?

i have a few ideas to fix but would like to get your opinion.  My solids are good enough at 41.44% total fat is 12.5%.  It isn’t lactose crystals because it melts.

would the fact that I made the ice cream harder be the culprit here?  

my ideas would be to make some batches that would

a.  Increase dextrose and lower sucrose to get to a more normal pac

b. Another batch to move the stabilizer to 5g in 1000g. I have it currently at 3g. It should be ok but it is a factor I can play around.

c. Increase the milk fat but  the total fat is already pretty high I don’t really want to make that high fat ice cream formula.  I like the challenge of making this work instead of going the route of fat. It’s the simplest way to fix this but I want to address this more technically

i got this from ruben’s review

http://icecreamscience.com/cuisinart-ice-100-compressor-ice-cream-gelato-maker-review/#how_much_air_does_the_ice-100_whip_into_ice_cream

When I lowered the butterfat content in my mix to 18%, however, I found that the 4080 produced ice cream that was substantially smoother and creamier than that produced by the ICE-100, albeit not as smooth and creamy as the 23% butterfat recipe. The ICE-100 produced noticeably coarse ice cream with large icey chunks that were detectable in the mouth. Butterfat masks large ice crystals, which is why they are not detected in the mouth in a high butterfat mix, but then become pronounced once the butterfat content is reduced. These findings show that the 4080 produces ice cream with smaller ice crystals and, consequently, smoother texture, which is more pronounced in recipes with a lower butterfat content.

i saw another review on Facebook and it says the same thing. The person was comparing the new whynter version icm 201sb and the ice 100 and he said that the ice 100 ice cream has small ice crystals even if he used the same mix divided into 2 and churned them the same time.  It might be more of an issue with the machine then rather than the formulation. 

I don’t want to shell out 20k usd for a stargel 4 darn it. Those machines are expensive where I am from and we don’t have emery Thompson’s here.  

Edited by ccp900 (log)

4 hours ago, ccp900 said:

Paul. Can I get your expert opinion pls.  Here are the

numbers are percentages

milk fat 8.49

other fat 4.00

other solids 5.54

sugar 11.59

total solids 41.44

total water 58.56

pod 120

pac 176 due to nut fat hardening.

it isn’t gritty but I just noticed it now. When I get a spoon of the ice cream and I put it in my mouth it feels very very cold. When I bite into the ice cream there seems to be some very small ice crunches not large and it can’t be detected by the tongue since when I melt it on my tongue it seems ok but when I bite into it it feels a bit crunchy.  Would you consider this iciness?

i have a few ideas to fix but would like to get your opinion.  My solids are good enough at 41.44% total fat is 12.5%.  It isn’t lactose crystals because it melts.

would the fact that I made the ice cream harder be the culprit here?  

my ideas would be to make some batches that would

a.  Increase dextrose and lower sucrose to get to a more normal pac

b. Another batch to move the stabilizer to 5g in 1000g. I have it currently at 3g. It should be ok but it is a factor I can play around.

c. Increase the milk fat but  the total fat is already pretty high I don’t really want to make that high fat ice cream formula.  I like the challenge of making this work instead of going the route of fat. It’s the simplest way to fix this but I want to address this more technically

i got this from ruben’s review

http://icecreamscience.com/cuisinart-ice-100-compressor-ice-cream-gelato-maker-review/#how_much_air_does_the_ice-100_whip_into_ice_cream

When I lowered the butterfat content in my mix to 18%, however, I found that the 4080 produced ice cream that was substantially smoother and creamier than that produced by the ICE-100, albeit not as smooth and creamy as the 23% butterfat recipe. The ICE-100 produced noticeably coarse ice cream with large icey chunks that were detectable in the mouth. Butterfat masks large ice crystals, which is why they are not detected in the mouth in a high butterfat mix, but then become pronounced once the butterfat content is reduced. These findings show that the 4080 produces ice cream with smaller ice crystals and, consequently, smoother texture, which is more pronounced in recipes with a lower butterfat content.

i saw another review on Facebook and it says the same thing. The person was comparing the new whynter version icm 201sb and the ice 100 and he said that the ice 100 ice cream has small ice crystals even if he used the same mix divided into 2 and churned them the same time.  It might be more of an issue with the machine then rather than the formulation. 

I don’t want to shell out 20k usd for a stargel 4 darn it. Those machines are expensive where I am from and we don’t have emery Thompson’s here.  

You're describing ice crystals, and it's true that it's challenging to eliminate them in homemade ice cream. How long is the residence time in your ice-100? Anything longer than 20 minutes is a slow freeze, which will encourage noticeable ice crystals. Given a long freeze time, your weapons against crunch are formulation (and yours looks very good), dasher design (I know nothing about this machine), and stabilizers. 

Did you say earlier you were using a stabilizer blend with xanthan gum? I think you'll see improved results if you switch to locust bean gum. Xanthan is wonderful stuff,  but it's not particularly gifted at ice crystal suppression. LBG is a wunderkind.

For whatever it's worth, I do all my home ice cream making with the freezer bowl attachment for a Kitchenaid mixer. I think it cost $80. It has massive quantities of freezing gel inside. If I can pre-chill it at least 15 hours in a freezer set to -21°C / -6°F,  it freezes ice cream in about 7-1/2 minutes. I aim for a -6°C drawing temperature. This is almost as fast as a $20,000 Bravo or Carpigiani machine. Of course, I can only do 1 quart a day with this setup, so it won't meet everyone's needs. But if you had the freezer space and were willing to spring for multiple bowls, you can get pro quality with minor inconveniences.

Getting the freezer temperature just right is key. At 0°C, residence time is closer to 20 minutes. At -24°C, the mix freezes solid almost instantly and stalls the dasher. It's possible that any freezer bowl machine could kick ass like this if you dial in freezer temp, but I don't have experience with others. No idea how strong the motors are or how well the dashers are designed.

Anyway ... I'd try monkeying with the stabilizer first. You have a good basic formula.

14 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

You're describing ice crystals, and it's true that it's challenging to eliminate them in homemade ice cream. How long is the residence time in your ice-100? Anything longer than 20 minutes is a slow freeze, which will encourage noticeable ice crystals. Given a long freeze time, your weapons against crunch are formulation (and yours looks very good), dasher design (I know nothing about this machine), and stabilizers. 

Did you say earlier you were using a stabilizer blend with xanthan gum? I think you'll see improved results if you switch to locust bean gum. Xanthan is wonderful stuff,  but it's not particularly gifted at ice crystal suppression. LBG is a wunderkind.

For whatever it's worth, I do all my home ice cream making with the freezer bowl attachment for a Kitchenaid mixer. I think it cost $80. It has massive quantities of freezing gel inside. If I can pre-chill it at least 15 hours in a freezer set to -21°C / -6°F,  it freezes ice cream in about 7-1/2 minutes. I aim for a -6°C drawing temperature. This is almost as fast as a $20,000 Bravo or Carpigiani machine. Of course, I can only do 1 quart a day with this setup, so it won't meet everyone's needs. But if you had the freezer space and were willing to spring for multiple bowls, you can get pro quality with minor inconveniences.

Getting the freezer temperature just right is key. At 0°C, residence time is closer to 20 minutes. At -24°C, the mix freezes solid almost instantly and stalls the dasher. It's possible that any freezer bowl machine could kick ass like this if you dial in freezer temp, but I don't have experience with others. No idea how strong the motors are or how well the dashers are designed.

Anyway ... I'd try monkeying with the stabilizer first. You have a good basic formula.

Thanks Paul.  I had higher than usual residence time. I was at around 47 mins when I drew. I also didn’t measure the draw temp. I usually draw at around  minus 8.  I forgot to pre chill the bowl which probably led to extended residence time I can usually get it out at around 35 mins. 

wow 7.5 mins that’s amazing!! Sadly I don’t have freezer space. I’ll play with the stabilizers.  I actually use MEC3 Base 6. Ingredients are Emulsifier: E471, thickeners: tara gum, sodium alginate, guar gum

I probably let my ice cream spin after it is ready to be removed from the machine; what tells you it's "done?' I never go over 25 minutes, but it sure looks ready to eat after about 15.

69792376_SicilianGelatodoublevanilla07-20.thumb.JPG.3be5de758c5afe0bcfe8802c584dc9a6.JPG

And as I pointed out in this post, ice crystals are non-evident in my finished product.  I also pre-freeze the containers that the ice cream is going into, as well as the stuff I use to get the ice cream from the canister into the container.

I mean after all, this stuff isn't going to the Bocuse d'Or.  d'Or is it? 🤣

It's all better than the Ben & Jerry's I had in the original location.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I probably let my ice cream spin after it is ready to be removed from the machine; what tells you it's "done?' I never go over 25 minutes, but it sure looks ready to eat after about 15.

69792376_SicilianGelatodoublevanilla07-20.thumb.JPG.3be5de758c5afe0bcfe8802c584dc9a6.JPG

And as I pointed out in this post, ice crystals are non-evident in my finished product.  I also pre-freeze the containers that the ice cream is going into, as well as the stuff I use to get the ice cream from the canister into the container.

I mean after all, this stuff isn't going to the Bocuse d'Or. Or is it? It's all better than the Ben & Jerry's I had in the original location.

Your ice cream maker looks like a spaceship!!

if you can get a cheap laser thermometer you can check the temp of the ice cream before you draw. If no temp gun you can always look for the Wendy’s frostee look

with a gun you can draw at -5/-6c or a bit lower, I’ve drawn at -9/-10c In the past. I now draw at -5 to -8c coz sometimes I forget to check hehe

13 minutes ago, ccp900 said:

Your ice cream maker looks like a spaceship!!

if you can get a cheap laser thermometer you can check the temp of the ice cream before you draw. If no temp gun you can always look for the Wendy’s frostee look

with a gun you can draw at -5/-6c or a bit lower, I’ve drawn at -9/-10c In the past. I now draw at -5 to -8c coz sometimes I forget to check hehe

That spaceship is (or was) the big dog of home ice cream machines!

OK , cool  on the laser thermo - I have one a few of those. But my wife already thinks I'm crazy for taking the temperature of the water as I do our pour over coffees in the morning!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?