• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

7 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

That's funny, it's the flavor I stopped making, ever since the price of vanilla beans went bonkers. I still have a stash from back when there was a market glut, but they're not in good enough shape now for making ice cream. When they were fresh they were total flavor bombs ... no need to add extract. It was possible to go too far and make ice cream that tasted like perfume.

paul, we keep vanilla beans (almost indefinitely) in a tall narrow bottle with the lowest 3/4 inch submersed in rum.    They remain supple and super flavorful.     Might you resurrect your by trying this?

eta, we buy our beans at G.Detou in Paris where we also source superb 4-strength vanilla extract that is "unbelievable".    Unbeatable prices.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

4 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

That's funny, it's the flavor I stopped making, ever since the price of vanilla beans went bonkers. I still have a stash from back when there was a market glut, but they're not in good enough shape now for making ice cream. When they were fresh they were total flavor bombs ... no need to add extract. It was possible to go too far and make ice cream that tasted like perfume.

paul, we keep vanilla beans (almost indefinitely) in a tall narrow bottle with the lowest 3/4 inch submersed in rum.    They remain supple and super flavorful.     Might you resurrect your by trying this?