• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

5 hours ago, coffeinca said:

Hi everyone, 

I would like to ask you for advice. I'm just starting my ice cream adventure and I found it really challenging when it's going about cream. According to many books and websites, the amount of fat suppose to be 35-40% or higher. In Portugal when I'm living right now, the 35% cream is always with stabiliser and not on the cold section. All of them are UHT. The one not UHT are 30% and are much less solid but I found them more tasty. What should I use for better ice cream? Should I stay with 35% or maybe use 30% and use less milk instead? What kind of cream are you using? 

All the best,

Karolina

•  
  •  

I think the 30% cream will be better. Your idea to just use more cream and less milk is exactly right. Milk and cream have the same things in them. Just different proportions. You may just have to do a little math if you want the results the results to match exactly, or one of us can figure it out for you.

paulraphael

paulraphael

5 hours ago, coffeinca said:

Hi everyone, 

I would like to ask you for advice. I'm just starting my ice cream adventure and I found it really challenging when it's going about cream. According to many books and websites, the amount of fat suppose to be 35-40% or higher. In Portugal when I'm living right now, the 35% cream is always with stabiliser and not on the cold section. All of them are UHT. The one not UHT are 30% and are much less solid but I found them more tasty. What should I use for better ice cream? Should I stay with 35% or maybe use 30% and use less milk instead? What kind of cream are you using? 

All the best,

Karolina

•  
  •  

I think the 30% cream will be better. Your idea to just use more cream and less milk is exactly right. Milk and cream have the exact same things in them. Just different proportions. You may just have to do a little math if you want the results the results to match exactly, or one of us can figure it out for you.