• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

On 4/15/2020 at 3:42 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Typically I pull my ice cream after no more than 15 minutes in the ICE-100.  

Why do you pull your ice cream after only 15 minutes?  I let mine go until the machine tells me it's ready (it is a Breville and plays a rune, currently the theme from The Sting).

Another question:  yesterday I was rooting around in my baking supplies and found a bag labeled Dextrose (corn sugar).  It had been opened and some of it used but I don't remember what for.  If I were to replace sugar with dextrose in ice cream, two questions come to mind:

Is it an equal substitution?

Why do you substitute?

I re-read the above chit-chat but it isn't clear to me.

Edited to add:  1 kg. Of dextrose is $3.89 Cdn. at my home brew place.

ElsieD

ElsieD

On 4/15/2020 at 3:42 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Typically I pull my ice cream after no more than 15 minutes in the ICE-100.  

Why do you pull your ice cream after only 15 minutes?  I let mine go until the machine tells me it's ready (it is a Breville and plays a rune, currently the theme from The Sting).

Another question:  yesterday I was rooting around in my baking supplies and found a bag labeled Dextrose (corn sugar).  It had been opened and some of it used but I don't remember what for.  If I were to replace sugar with dextrose in ice cream, two questions come to mind:

Is it an equal substitution?

Why do you substitute?

I re-read the above chit-chat but it isn't clear to me.