• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ccp900

ccp900

Hi guys. Short question

If cocoa powder breaks down above 90C for full flavor to be released and break down the powder and you want to make a custard based ice cream.  How would you go about pasteurizing it without curdling the eggs? (using a pasteurizer)

I cant think of any way so the choices seem to be

1) Pasteurize at 85C and just live with it (or 75C / 65C whatever your pasteurization method is)

2) Totally skip the eggs (which i actually like with chocolate bases) and go Philly

3) Use melted chocolate instead of powder (i am not a fan of this as the chocolate flavor is enhanced greatly by the cocoa)

4) You can technically say bring it up to 90C then back down to a safer temp and mix in tempered yolks but i think thats too much work and i dont think thats possible with the automated pasteurizers

AHA i just thought of 1 more

5) make a separate chocolate paste and add it to the base before churning

ccp900

ccp900

Hi guys. Short question

If cocoa powder breaks down above 90C for full flavor to be released and break down the powder and you want to make a custard based ice cream.  How would you go about pasteurizing it without curdling the eggs? (using a pasteurizer)

1) Pasteurize at 85C and just live with it (or 75C / 65C whatever your pasteurization method is)

2) Totally skip the eggs (which i actually like with chocolate bases) and go Philly

3) Use melted chocolate instead of powder (i am not a fan of this as the chocolate flavor is enhanced greatly by the cocoa)

4) You can technically say bring it up to 90C then back down to a safer temp and mix in tempered yolks but i think thats too much work and i dont think thats possible with the automated pasteurizers

ccp900

ccp900

Hi guys. Short question

If cocoa powder breaks down above 90C for full flavor to be released and break down the powder and you want to make a custard based ice cream.  How would you go about pasteurizing it without curdling the eggs?