• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Ice Cream (2015– )

Darienne

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

No, I couldn't find it anywhere.  The brand I got was Ashoka from India.  It is from Alphonso mangos.  I wondered if I could buy ripe Ataulfo mangos and make the pulp myself?  I could blitz it in the Vitamix and strain any bits out.  Any thoughts on that? 

The particular brand of Mango puree that she uses has ~31.8% sugar.  You can achieve the same results with a vitamix and a good chinois.  

Edited by jandreas (log)

Installed my new scrapers this afternoon. Now I want to see how well my Nemox Gelato Pro 3000 is performing.

Therefore I'm playing it safe. Some will curse me for this. But if it fails, I want to make sure it's not me. Therefore, mixture, colourant and flavouring. All natural, if someone's asking.

the ingredients.jpg

13 minutes ago, Lieuwe said:

Installed my new scrapers this afternoon. Now I want to see how well my Nemox Gelato Pro 3000 is performing.

Therefore I'm playing it safe. Some will curse me for this. But if it fails, I want to make sure it's not me. Therefore, mixture, colourant and flavouring. All natural, if someone's asking.

the ingredients.jpg

tub is cold enough small.jpg

Mixture is in small.jpg

and it's a go small.jpg

• Like 4

Now that I have a Blendtec I decided to test the assertion that it was possible to make ice cream in a blender.  I basically followed the everythingkitchens frozen fruit ice cream recipe:

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/how-to-make-ice-cream-blendtec.html

I omitted the vanilla and snuck in a bit more cream.  And added a drop or two of polysorbate 80 just because.  If you didn't know already, condensed milk is a pain to work with.  My main complaint is that on the ice cream cycle the machine could not fully pulverize the seeds of the frozen blackberries.

That being said, the result was a refreshingly pleasant blackberry ice cream.  One that I would make again.  (Maybe without condensed milk.)  I suspect I would have had better results if I'd pulverized the berries first, and then froze the puree.  My teeth have trouble with seeds.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now that I have a Blendtec I decided to test the assertion that it was possible to make ice cream in a blender.  I basically followed the everythingkitchens frozen fruit ice cream recipe:

I omitted the vanilla and snuck in a bit more cream.  And added a drop or two of polysorbate 80 just because.  If you didn't know already, condensed milk is a pain to work with.  My main complaint is that on the ice cream cycle the machine could not fully pulverize the seeds of the frozen blackberries.

That being said, the result was a refreshingly pleasant blackberry ice cream.  One that I would make again.  (Maybe without condensed milk.)  I suspect I would have had better results if I'd pulverized the berries first, and then froze the puree.  My teeth have trouble with seeds.

What if you pureed the berries first and then run them through a food mill to extract the seeds?  Or maybe that's what you meant?

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What if you pureed the berries first and then run them through a food mill to extract the seeds?  Or maybe that's what you meant?

Putting the berries through a food mill is the easy way, or at least the sensical way.  I meant run the berries long enough in the blender to pulverize the seeds prior to freezing.  I am still sitting here picking seeds from my poor teeth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lieuwe said:

Sorbet tonight. Two batches. Strawberry and raspberry.

My first sorbet ever, strawberry. Gave it a 15 minute swirl.

It is scary, but these past two weeks I made more batches than I ever did in those five years with my krups attachment.

Two important lessons I've learned until now:

1) keep your batches manageable => small quantities;

2) tell your family a.s.a.p. that the ice cream is ready.

strawsorb1 small.jpg

strawsorb2 small.jpg

strawsorb3 small.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lieuwe said:

My first sorbet ever, strawberry. Gave it a 15 minute swirl.

It is scary, but these past two weeks I made more batches than I ever did in those five years with my krups attachment.

Two important lessons I've learned until now:

1) keep your batches manageable => small quantities;

2) tell your family a.s.a.p. that the ice cream is ready.

strawsorb1 small.jpg

strawsorb2 small.jpg

strawsorb3 small.jpg

Are you not hardening your mix after churning?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've had a Blendtec for quite a few years and, until reading this, never noticed that it had an "Ice Cream" button.  I had some milk in the fridge that tasted fine but was past it's "best by" date so this recipe's frozen milk cubes was a good use for it.  I also had some of the best O'Henry peaches of the summer stashed in the freezer so I made some peach ice cream. 

My only issue was that once the blades started to turn, 9 of the cubes quickly aligned themselves into a neat 3 x 3 shelf that supported several of the remaining cubes and the fruit about midway up the blender jar.  Next time, I'll either drop the cubes and fruit in after starting the cycle or try using the Wildside jar.  

But I will try it again.  I often end up with unused milk about to turn.  Usually it goes into whole milk ricotta but now I have another use. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

.  I often end up with unused milk about to turn.  Usually it goes into whole milk ricotta but now I have another use. 

But, but, but...

ice cream ought be made with the freshest stuff available!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

But, but, but...

ice cream ought be made with the freshest stuff available!

But we're talking blender ice cream that can be made in a minute.  Have you never been tempted, @weinoo?

Speaking of Ice Cream hacks -Has anyone tried the recipe in Jeremy Fox's book On Vegetables? Pretty fantastic and great texture. It's basically whipped cream with condensed milk, vanilla bean and a tablespoon of vodka. Then thrown in the freezer. 

17 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

Speaking of Ice Cream hacks -Has anyone tried the recipe in Jeremy Fox's book On Vegetables? Pretty fantastic and great texture. It's basically whipped cream with condensed milk, vanilla bean and a tablespoon of vodka. Then thrown in the freezer. 

I found the recipe on-line.  How does it scoop?

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I found the recipe on-line.  How does it scoop?

I did it for a small dinner party along with a  french apple cider cake. Just put it in the fridge for a couple minutes and i quenelled it with a spoon. Great texture, easy. It's definitely  not overly hard. 

• Thanks 1