• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite/Least Favorite Food "Celebrities" (Part 2)

sjemac

Hi! I am new to Egullet and this is my first response! :biggrin:

Favorite

-----------

Ina Garten

Lidia Bastianich (Love her show, cookbooks and restaurant)

Julia Child

Nigella Lawson

Michael Chiarello (Prior to Fine Living)

Bobby Flay Cookbooks only

David Rosengarten

Anthony Bourdain

Jacques Pepin

Thomas Keller

Least Favorite

---------------

Emeril

THE NEELYS (Watched 2 minutes and had to turn the channel)

Rachel Ray

Can't watch any of the New Food Network Stars!

Paula Deen (Seems like a nice lady but feel my arteries hardening every time I watch her show)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got to admit, as someone who used to criticize the guy, I've really started appreciating Bobby Flay more the past couple of years. It seems all the success (and money) has actually mellowed him and I dare say he's more humble -- at least on camera.

In the beginning I thought his Throwdown show was a terrible idea. But he does seem gracious and interested in the people he's competing against, and I get the feeling he's kind of uncomfortable when he wins.

Earlier today, Paula and another woman each chowed down on another very special sandwich - a honkin' big slab of lasagna between a half loaf of Italian bread, which had been slathered in garlic butter.

Rachel Ray still irritates me more than Paula, but ya'll are making it a race, lady.

Edited by hsm (log)

Earlier today, Paula and another woman each chowed down on another very special sandwich - a honkin' big slab of lasagna between a half loaf of Italian bread, which had been slathered in garlic butter.

Rachel Ray still irritates me more than Paula, but ya'll are making it a race, lady.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks to you, I am now channeling my inner Homer Simpson and making "Mmmm...Lasagna Sandwich" noises while drooling at work. :laugh::cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ahahha glad to see people are enjoying that Paula video :laugh:

Btw, I know I'm late (very) but I just watched the ep of Iron Chef America where Flay was competing against Ming Tsai and wow! Such professionalism from Tsai! I have to say, I have a renewed respect for him.

So now I'll have to list Tsai as one of my fav food celebs.

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Favorites:

Juila

Jaques

The Swedish Chef!! (why am I the first to list him??)

Jamie Oliver

Alton Brown

Mario

Morimoto

Anthony Bourdain

Denis Cotter (little known, but a huge influence on me)

Paul Prudhomme

Bronwen Weber

Ella Brennan (Not a chef, but a wonderful, wonderful person :) )

Least Favorite:

Bobby Flay

Todd English (I swear this guy wears make up)

Rocco

Rachel Ray

Martha Stewart

That lady in the school cafeteria with the hair net...

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 2 weeks later...
Ahahha glad to see people are enjoying that Paula video :laugh:

OMG - this just reinforces why I can't stand this woman. Did you notice how she licks her fingers then promptly grabs the food - shared food - at that. Ugh! She might be the next Typhoid Mary!

I think she wants people to eat her food and die.

A few months ago we bought a cool new digital television (Aka the Jumbotron) and for the first time in 25 years I'm able to watch network (not cable) tv.

So I get to watch Martha Stewart and Rachael Ray in their talk show formats.

Martha is the Woman, no doubts. Even Bourdain has said he's impressed by her technique and efficiency. There's no fluff when Martha cooks.

Then there's Rach. She does a short cooking segment at the end od her program, minus the infamous "Yummos!" and in five days of programming I get a "Hmmmm. Might work" vibe at least twice.

I'm not freaked out or appalled by the Deen video (never seen her show.) Not Robuchon's Puree de Pommes de Terre, but not that much more unhealthy. Might be good.

Jacques Pepin rules.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 1 month later...

I was going through the channel guide and saw something about economical cooking with "Sandra". Knowing it could not be Sandra Lee, I clicked on the channel to check it out. Imagine my surprise when there was Ms. Lee staring back at me from tv-land. :huh: She was showing people how to cook good-tasting food economically. Huh? :huh:

It seems that the staff had determined how much everything cost per serving, and then she made the less expensive version. For example, they determined that a premade piecrust was less expensive to make than one made from scratch, so she used the premade crust. Then (and make sure you are sitting down for this), they determined that homemade whipped cream was less expensive than the frozen topping stuff, and (get this) Ms. Lee actually used a mixer and made homemade whipped cream. :raz: Granted, it wasn't very pretty -- but hats off to the women -- because she at least had the foresight to toast some coconut to hide the cream. :cool::laugh:

Hell must be freezing over right now, but maybe, just maybe, the woman wants to improve her cooking. I'm thinking this might be a good thing.

Rhonda

• 2 months later...

I thought I may have responded to this long ago but couldn't find a post, yet time changes some perceptions.

My top 5

1. Emeril. I can't believe he gets put down so much here. I'd also love to see him on a Top Chef Masters as I think he'd turn some heads in a most positive way.

2. Gordon Ramsay - He really puts himself out there for those who put out the effort but has no tolerance for a lack of dedication. Fascinating person.

3. Rick Bayless. Passionate and meticulous and I've never tried a recipe of his that didn't work.

4. Jose Andres - Loved his Made in Spain series (though only saw part since can't get it now since moving from Calif to Kentucky.

5. Tom Colicchio - I like Tom and would like to see him doing more cooking or teaching on T.V. He may not have the personality though to do a teaching show but he'd make a great cheftestant.

Interesting 5.

1. Nick Stellino - Yeah, I like him. Why? His dishes work and he makes a lot of sense. Okay, some, perhaps many might find him to, what, perky? Pretentious? Full of himself? I think it is more he's trying to put on a show, but, bottom line his recipes all work and they are very tasty.

2. Carlo Middione - He had a show on PBS (at least in the bay area) way back "Carlo Cooks Italian." If Emeril and Stellino are over the top enthusiastically Carlo is at the other end of the spectrum. A great teacher, makes things, simple and does them right but no stage presence.

3. John Ash - This guy knows what he's doing, can cook with anyone, and can get his points across clearly. He is another who I think would be a good TCM player.

4. Art Smith - I love his passion and I'd really like to more about his food. His chicken looked great.

5. Grace Young - Grace may not be a great chef but she's a fine teacher, does a fine job of presenting Chinese dishes and culture. She's also a nice lady and a class act.

The Dregs/least favorites

1. Martha Stewart - fine recipes, may know her stuff, but boy, she sure puts the b in ... well, let's just say she could hold all the spots at the bottom of my list.

2. Joanne Weir. She bores me to tears and her voice makes me want to break the t.v. set.

3. The Neely's. There show just drives me batty. It just feels to me like Ozzie an Harriet trying to do a cooking show.

4. Nigela Lawson. - blah

5. Anthony Bourdain - I find him to be full of himself, a little too much of an east coast brow beater type, and while he may know food, I'm not that convinced he's that good a cook. I will say, my opinion might be the exact opposite if I had the chance to go out and get blitzed with him on the town. So the jury is out, but just my current (yet flexible) opinion.

Last but not least, the Eye Candy category. Like it or not, sex and appearance does sell and all of these ladies are talented as well as being eye candy.

1. Giada

2. Raechel Ray

3. Gail Simmons

4. Padma Lakshmi

5. Jacqui Malouf

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I was going through the channel guide and saw something about economical cooking with "Sandra".  Knowing it could not be Sandra Lee, I clicked on the channel to check it out.  Imagine my surprise when there was Ms. Lee staring back at me from tv-land. :huh:   She was showing people how to cook good-tasting food economically.  Huh? :huh:

It seems that the staff had determined how much everything cost per serving, and then she made the less expensive version.  For example, they determined that a premade piecrust was less expensive to make than one made from scratch, so she used the premade crust.  Then (and make sure you are sitting down for this), they determined that homemade whipped cream was less expensive than the frozen topping stuff, and (get this) Ms. Lee actually used a mixer and made homemade whipped cream. :raz:  Granted, it wasn't very pretty -- but hats off to the women -- because she at least had the foresight to toast some coconut to hide the cream.   :cool:  :laugh:

Hell must be freezing over right now, but maybe, just maybe, the woman wants to improve her cooking.  I'm thinking this might be a good thing. 

Rhonda

Watching her is like hearing someone scratching their nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by GwennP (log)

I was going through the channel guide and saw something about economical cooking with "Sandra".  Knowing it could not be Sandra Lee, I clicked on the channel to check it out.  Imagine my surprise when there was Ms. Lee staring back at me from tv-land. :huh:  She was showing people how to cook good-tasting food economically.  Huh? 

It seems that the staff had determined how much everything cost per serving, and then she made the less expensive version.  For example, they determined that a premade piecrust was less expensive to make than one made from scratch, so she used the premade crust.  Then (and make sure you are sitting down for this), they determined that homemade whipped cream was less expensive than the frozen topping stuff, and (get this) Ms. Lee actually used a mixer and made homemade whipped cream. :raz:  Granted, it wasn't very pretty -- but hats off to the women -- because she at least had the foresight to toast some coconut to hide the cream.  :cool:  :laugh:

Hell must be freezing over right now, but maybe, just maybe, the woman wants to improve her cooking.  I'm thinking this might be a good thing. 

Rhonda

Or to quote Anthony Bourdain

SANDRA LEE: Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time. She Must Be Stopped. Her death-dealing can-opening ways will cut a swath of destruction through the world if not contained. I would likely be arrested if I suggested on television that any children watching should promptly go to a wooded area with a gun and harm themselves. What’s the difference between that and Sandra suggesting we fill our mouths with Ritz Crackers, jam a can of Cheez Wiz in after and press hard? None that I can see. This is simply irresponsible programming. Its only possible use might be as a psychological warfare strategy against the resurgent Taliban--or dangerous insurgent groups. A large-racked blonde repeatedly urging Afghans and angry Iraqis to stuff themseles with fatty, processed American foods might be just the weapon we need to win the war on terror.

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2007/02..._blogging_.html

Dan :blink:

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

IF (still a ?) she is listening to the negative comments from boards like this one from people who love to cook and actually trying to improve on some things, we can at least give her props for that. One of the big negatives was how expensive she made cooking and how giving the impression that you have to spend a lot of money for what you can make at home. NOW (still a ?) it would appear that she is at least trying to remedy that perception, and she's now trying to cook economically and/or show the trade-offs.

Now, watching her, on the other hand, for a half-hour out of our lives, that would be a bit much. And eating that god-awful-looking pie, now I wouldn't go that far either. :rolleyes: But if she is trying to mend a few of her ways and we can't even recognize that, then that says more about us than it does her.

Rhonda

• 2 months later...

I really can't think of too many tv cooks that I dislike. I actally am in the minority and like Rachel Ray. I think she has done a lot for herself to have no formal training and is a marketing genius. I have made several of her recipe's that came out pretty good. Sandra Lee used to really get on my nerves until I read up more on her life and her charitable work and it softened my opinion some about her.

As to my favorites they would be:

Kylie Kwong

Rick Bayless

Art Smith

Alton Brown

Nigella Lawson

Anthony Bourdain

Julia Child

Gordon Ramsay

John Besh

Jose Andres

Masaharu Morimoto

I can say that I have made a few recipe's of Martha Stewart and both of them were not very good. Not a big fan.

• 2 weeks later...