• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
FrogPrincesse

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 3)

It was a wild and windy Tuesday night, cooler than normal.  We sat on the patio to watch the skies and shared two bombers, a Unibroue Don de Dieu that I found at Whole Foods for a reasonable price.  The 2nd was Left Coast Asylum.  These are big alcohol heavy beers and we were feeling no pain fairly soon and were cheerful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eugenep said:

I never had a French beer before but I heard it exists. Hmmm....they look like lagers - maybe light tasting like water?  

I am going to go with a big Gallic shrug here.

A couple of good French beers I have had not too long ago:

Jenlain Ambree which is an amber biere de garde, complex with spices and a touch of caramel, slightly hoppy. Can be found in most supermarkets in France.

Gavroche by Saint Sylvestre which I understand is a micro brewery. Also a biere de garde, spices, notes of chocolates and caramel. That one I've had in the US actually.

• Like 1

Bourbon barrel aged stout .  It taste great but sort of expensive since it’s about four dollars to six dollars a bottle sometimes .  I try to just have one each night Because something like three a day is the same as the cost of financing a new SUV 

60CFCCBB-F159-4985-BCB9-86D6236F0A49.jpeg

At what temperature should Duvel optimally be served?  The ale, that is.  Tell me and I'll tell you what I'll be drinking.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At what temperature should Duvel optimally be served?  The ale, that is.  Tell me and I'll tell you what I'll be drinking.

@Duvel - I think you're the authority here 

I actually don't know the answer but I'll give one in ignorance anyway bc I like dark beers and bc I'm bored with nothing better to do and possibly being wrong and embarrassing myself doesn't matter bc this is online world 

My guess is that drinking it at room temperature ( 70 F) will bring out the flavor but if it tastes too bitter then you don't want that much flavor and refrigerating it at under (40F) is better since it masks the bitter taste 

I would drink it after refrigerating it (to bring down bitterness) 

Can I guess that you are drinking Duvel? I tried it once but I believe it's an ale that tried to be a light lager bc light lagers were trendy at the time it was first produced (many decades ago I'm assuming) and Duvel wanted to sell its beer to the masses etc. So that might be why it's color is light unlike porters and stouts (real beer). 

so I wasn't a fan of Duvel (no offense) bc it's like a dark ale that is trying to be a light lager 

happy drinking 

Edited by eugenep clarity (log)
  • Thanks 1

When I've had Duvel before it was at refrigerator temperature.  Whatever Duvel is trying to be I don't think it is a light lager.  According to Wikipedia Duvel is made from Scottish yeast.

And in the immortal words of Michael Flanders:  "One cannot drink stout."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This is what the producer says, so it should be respected with a tolerance of 0.2°C. Personally I'm heretic and prefer it around 8°C.

Teo

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Cold ... my fridge is regulated to 4oC, so I’ll be drinking Duvel just slightly warmer than that. Of course in a freshly rinsed Duvel glass ...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Personally I'm heretic and prefer it around 8°C.

You monster 😜

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

You monster 😜

I know, shame on me. Even more shameful is that I don't have any Duvel bottle here, finished the last one some weeks ago. That bottle was around 15 years old and still in great shape.

Teo

• Like 1

Thank you!  I'll aim on the high side for 5.2.  My reference thermometer is good to two decimal places.  I don't have a suitable tulip glass so my usual Baccarat water goblet will have to do.  I have washed it carefully.

I failed:  3.40C.  The nice thing about a thermometer that reads hundredths is you can watch the temperature rise and call it wherever you like.

Oh, and the Duvel was good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh, and the Duvel was good.

Duvel never disappoints !

(and the beer is tasty, too 😋)

• Like 1

We are still waiting to know how a duvai tai tastes.

Teo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Picked this up this morning, not because I wanted it, just to add to my collection of silliness.

Love the brewery's honesty in their choice of name.

My only question is "Why? I mean "Why?'" (to be uttered in a tone of despair).

It tastes like some one had a glass of grapefruit juice with breakfast and then forgot to wash the glass before pouring a beer hours later.

• By liuzhou
      500 years ago, Martin Luther started off the Reformation. In a way, this not only changed religious affairs in Europe, but also changed our beer.

Article here.