• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

2 hours ago, eugenep said:

I never had a French beer before but I heard it exists. Hmmm....they look like lagers - maybe light tasting like water?  

I am going to go with a big Gallic shrug here.

A couple of good French beers I have had not too long ago:

Jenlain Ambree which is an amber biere de garde, complex with spices and a touch of caramel, slightly hoppy. Can be found in most supermarkets in France.

Gavroche by Saint Sylvestre which I understand is a micro brewery. Also a biere de garde, spices, notes of chocolates and caramel. That one I've had in the US actually.

• Like 1

Bourbon barrel aged stout .  It taste great but sort of expensive since it’s about four dollars to six dollars a bottle sometimes .  I try to just have one each night Because something like three a day is the same as the cost of financing a new SUV 

60CFCCBB-F159-4985-BCB9-86D6236F0A49.jpeg

At what temperature should Duvel optimally be served?  The ale, that is.  Tell me and I'll tell you what I'll be drinking.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At what temperature should Duvel optimally be served?  The ale, that is.  Tell me and I'll tell you what I'll be drinking.

@Duvel - I think you're the authority here 

I actually don't know the answer but I'll give one in ignorance anyway bc I like dark beers and bc I'm bored with nothing better to do and possibly being wrong and embarrassing myself doesn't matter bc this is online world 

My guess is that drinking it at room temperature ( 70 F) will bring out the flavor but if it tastes too bitter then you don't want that much flavor and refrigerating it at under (40F) is better since it masks the bitter taste 

I would drink it after refrigerating it (to bring down bitterness) 

Can I guess that you are drinking Duvel? I tried it once but I believe it's an ale that tried to be a light lager bc light lagers were trendy at the time it was first produced (many decades ago I'm assuming) and Duvel wanted to sell its beer to the masses etc. So that might be why it's color is light unlike porters and stouts (real beer). 

so I wasn't a fan of Duvel (no offense) bc it's like a dark ale that is trying to be a light lager 

happy drinking 

Edited by eugenep
clarity (log)
  • Thanks 1

When I've had Duvel before it was at refrigerator temperature.  Whatever Duvel is trying to be I don't think it is a light lager.  According to Wikipedia Duvel is made from Scottish yeast.

And in the immortal words of Michael Flanders:  "One cannot drink stout."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This is what the producer says, so it should be respected with a tolerance of 0.2°C. Personally I'm heretic and prefer it around 8°C.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Cold ... my fridge is regulated to 4oC, so I’ll be drinking Duvel just slightly warmer than that. Of course in a freshly rinsed Duvel glass ...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

You monster 😜

I know, shame on me. Even more shameful is that I don't have any Duvel bottle here, finished the last one some weeks ago. That bottle was around 15 years old and still in great shape.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

Thank you!  I'll aim on the high side for 5.2.  My reference thermometer is good to two decimal places.  I don't have a suitable tulip glass so my usual Baccarat water goblet will have to do.  I have washed it carefully.

I failed:  3.40C.  The nice thing about a thermometer that reads hundredths is you can watch the temperature rise and call it wherever you like.

Oh, and the Duvel was good.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Had this last weekend, while one of our channels was marathoning the Star Wars movies.

Regrettably, the name and label were the most interesting things about it. It was...okay, but underwhelming. Basically a generic mainstream beer with a side of bitterness. The hops weren't overwhelming, but neither did they add anything else.

IMG_20190628_214854.thumb.jpg.5da0b12cd14f719051bb267d5c437481.jpg

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

23 hours ago, chromedome said:

Had this last weekend, while one of our channels was marathoning the Star Wars movies.

Regrettably, the name and label were the most interesting things about it. It was...okay, but underwhelming. Basically a generic mainstream beer with a side of bitterness. The hops weren't overwhelming, but neither did they add anything else.

IMG_20190628_214854.thumb.jpg.5da0b12cd14f719051bb267d5c437481.jpg

the ABV is at 6.6% which seems like a decently strong beer. I hope some of the floral/spice stuff from the hops came out. 

I read that when an IPA is beyond three months, most of these floral/spice hops aromas will fade and all you get is the bitterness. 

Hope it was drunk within that 3 month or fresher period

Nope, no floral/spice, which is why my impression was so poor.

I hadn't considered the freshness aspect, which may well be the issue. That particular bottle was purchased at a country store, where I was pleasantly surprised to find a number of local microbrews. It may well be that this was an experiment, and that it had been sitting for some time before I bought it.

Currently my favorite local brew is Rype, by Fredericton's Trailways brewery. It's an IPA of sorts, but made from rye rather than barley (ie a "rye PA," hence the name). Lots of florals and citrus from the hops, and plenty of underlying spiciness from the rye, and every sip makes my tastebuds happy. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

nice - I'll check out the Rype or things made by Trailways if I could get it in the NJ-NYC area. 

Jack's Abbey came out with an IPL (for lager rather than ale) - never tried it but sounds interesting 

The highest I paid for an IPA was like $8 a bottle from "Maine Brewery" called "Lunch." 

The fruit/spice aromas were there but I just thought the price wasn't worth it for an IPA. I'd probably only pay that much for stouts or super dark beligans - quad or triple 

24 minutes ago, eugenep said:

nice - I'll check out the Rype or things made by Trailways if I could get it in the NJ-NYC area. 

You'll need to go a leeeeetle further north than that...

https://goo.gl/maps/QZ4R9YRP4ti4EaHt6

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ive discovered a local brewery 

Jack Abby's

posted here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/159134-jacks-abby-craft-lagers/?tab=comments#comment-2208524

Im not that much of a beer drinker , but I like the Hoponius Uniion.

the beer  , and any beer i think

gets me very drowsy 

any idea's why ?    its not the alcohol 

i can polish off several glass of wine and nothing happens.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:40 PM, rotuts said:

Ive discovered a local brewery 

Jack Abby's

posted here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/159134-jacks-abby-craft-lagers/?tab=comments#comment-2208524

Im not that much of a beer drinker , but I like the Hoponius Uniion.

the beer  , and any beer i think

gets me very drowsy 

any idea's why ?    its not the alcohol 

i can polish off several glass of wine and nothing happens.

More carbs?

yes , Ive found other refs. to the hops.

I continued my studies w the 

JAB-hoponiusunion-web.thumb.png.2f417600b5023cfad356ba768ae21e92.png.83469423459e38d8a83d8bb7225bac01.png

on an empty stomach , the above , ice cold , did make me sleepy.

however , If I ate 1/2 of a Tj's wrap first , and then while drinking the second 1/2 of he above

with the second 1/2 of the wrap , not sleepy at all.

the study was interesting.  a non-alcoholic beer with Big Hops sounds H.S. might help me get to sleep.

then Id have to get up and take a leak.

quail have a different renal system , so this secondary effect was a not noted ?