• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

Went to a  launch tasting at Roosevelts last night.  The new to Oklahoma beer is Paradox out of Divide, CO.  The Blood Rooted is a Wild Sour Golden Ale Brewed with Blood Orange juice and Ginger aged in oak wine barrels (didn't specify which wine).  Almost floral with hints of citrus and didn't get much oakiness.  The other taste I had was Future Knowledge, an oak fermented farmhouse ale, knox foeder#1.  The oak came out in this one.  Both were interesting, I will go back to the Blood Rooted to retaste.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

MILF and a Winter Grind from Mother's Brewing in Springfield , MO and had a tap of Black Betty from Nebraska Brewing.  Monday I had a Rye'd or D'IPA from Anthem Brewing out of OKC at Mcnellie's South City Pint Night where we get to take the glass home.  Anybody need any shaker beer glasses?  If you pay for the postage I will give them to you.  Assorted breweries.  

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

"Betsy" - allegedly the first beer specifically brewed for being consumed during air travel. I had this some weeks ago in the Cathay lounge in Hong Kong and found it a bit flat. This time I ordered it as my pre-lunch drink on the flight from FRA back to HKG. At the reduced pressure in the cabin the carbonation was just right. It was kind of fruity, with a pronounced bitterness. Reminded me of a cross-over between a pale ale and a lambic. Overall a quite nice beer ...

WP_20170624_15_21_23_Rich.jpg

WP_20170624_15_24_00_Rich (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Last night I tasted Sweet Tooth from Tall Grass.  Very nice, the slight bit of salty helped balance the sweet from the caramel.  A nice fall sipper.  Here is their description.  

Sweet Tooth

Taking our love of Belgian beers to the next level, we’re excited to announce the arrival of Sweet Tooth, a salted caramel Belgian Dark Strong Ale. Dark, complex and smooth, Sweet Tooth boasts rich, toasty caramel malt flavors with hints of dark fruit, spices and just a touch of salt. We like to think of it as a beer Willy Wonka would’ve made for the Oompa Loompas to enjoy after an 18-hour shift making everlasting gobstoppers.

• 1 month later...

Made the run all the way to Princeton to visit a booze-slingin' Trader Joe's, and came back with their annual Belgian-ish strong dark from Canada, the Belgian-ish blonde (also Canadian, I think) and the Belgian Petrus with Blueberry. 

Today I tried the strong dark (I'll be damned if I can recall exactly how they label it... something to remind people that it only comes once a year... and I'm not going digging in my recycle bin to read the label in the dark by flashlight).  Very nice beer.  Unibroue did good this year.  Lots of dark fruit nuances, no obnoxious yeast overexpressions, and a bit of coriander hanging out in the background to nudge those dark fruit nuances into a citrus-y kind of experience.  Very tasty and an excellent deal.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped by Marshall Brewing tap room this afternoon and enjoyed a Black Dolphin Imperial Russian Stout variation that had been aged on plums in first use bourbon barrels.  Very nice and i did taste the plums.  Not overly sweet.  

• 3 weeks later...

I will be out to the American Solera taproom tonight.  What should I try. The Cirque Dilemma is currently my favorite.   I have not had the Santa Kush, this years Cranbarrel, Caribbean Christmas is new, haven't tried this years version of Raspbarrel, the Terpy Cherry Limade is sooo good and refreshing, the Foeder Cerise is a long time favorite.  The Cirque Dilemma is perfection in a bottle.  Think coffee, chocolate, malty, deep dark luxuriousness.  Decisions, decisions.    No automatic alt text available.

Hung out at a local taproom last night with some friends and shared a 2014 GI Bourbon County and a 2015 Evil Twin Christmas Eve in a New York Hotel Room.  The Bourbon County is aging very nicely.  The Evil Twin on the other hand needs to be drank now or disposed of.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I won’t be drinking either one of them today but I did want to share. These were a gift and are from a local craft brewery. 

4F44A1AF-78C1-42A4-BC82-858950B46B13.thumb.jpeg.3dd3e9a902174e6a4409e53ea3d6e84e.jpegClick.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Liquan Beer (离泉啤酒 ) is brewed in Guilin not far from here and is the main beer sold throughout the province. I spotted this a couple of days ago. It is a premium version to commemorate then US President Bill Clinton's visit to the city in 1998.

clinton0.thumb.jpg.397d92e2f7367fd8682b55552ecccc3f.jpg

Here is a closer look at the label.

clinton1.thumb.jpg.198ff45ba3b3e4a63ddf18abc737d8ad.jpg

I am somewhat baffled by the "Clinton" quote featured on both the front and rear labels. The Chinese makes sense, but did Clinton really say or write  "With thanks for acting a good example"? (My emphasis). It makes no sense. And is that really his handwriting?

Whatever, the beer is a slightly more deeply flavoured one than most of Liquan's product. The regular stuff is fine, though as a refreshing draught in the sweltering heat of summers here.

5af8219a6b867_clinton2.thumb.jpg.1a5d08bbca0a02c30edf808c0cded3f1.jpg

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 weeks later...

My local hole-in-the-wall fancy beer store suggested I try a tall can of Interboro You're All I Need IPA, and I did, not knowing what I was in for. 

This wasn't like anything else I've experienced. After having my mind blown, I hit the internet, to figure out what it was, and learned about the "New England IPA" uprising of the last few years, of which I'd been completely oblivious. On the off chance that you're as out of the loop as me, I'll try to describe: these nothing like what you think of as IPAs. They're hopped to high heaven, but most of it is dry hopping, so the profile is much more about fruit flavors and citrus / floral aromas than bitterness. The background bitterness of the hops is balanced by a syrupy, malty sweetness. They're unfiltered—hazy, big mouthfeel, perishable. This particular version was as full-bodied as orange juice, and exploded on the palate with citrus and tropical fruit flavors (all from the hops!). Nothing like what I usually turn to an IPA for, but it was magnificent. 

I haven't found much of anything written about Interboro, even though they're local to me. And sadly their site says this beer isn't in production anymore.

My next stop is Other Half Brewing, in Brooklyn, which gets good reviews, and has one or two NEIPAs on their roster.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
19 minutes ago, tonyrocks922 said:

Some recent brews.  A 1664 at a cafe in Paris, a Beck's and sausage break while biking along the Rhine, and an evening altbier in Dusseldorf. 

20190411_141217.jpg

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

I never had a French beer before but I heard it exists. Hmmm....they look like lagers - maybe light tasting like water? The altbier (old beer) - wonder if they aged it