• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

Ruination was my choice tonight to accompany a sous vide burger.  Plain old, old fashioned Ruination 1.0.  I do love the stuff.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

IMG_1294.jpg

Review:

On the plus side the aroma isn't as bad as the taste. More of an very sweet cider than a beer. The initial sip hits you like an over-ripe mango to the face and then transitions to a strong taste of WTF then a long tail reminiscent of diesel. I'm sure I've put worse things in my mouth but not willingly. Can't wait until they release their Durian Dunkel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

IMG_1294.jpg

Review:

On the plus side the aroma isn't as bad as the taste. More of an very sweet cider than a beer. The initial sip hits you like an over-ripe mango to the face and then transitions to a strong taste of WTF then a long tail reminiscent of diesel. I'm sure I've put worse things in my mouth but not willingly. Can't wait until they release their Durian Dunkel.

The lychee beer isn't totally awful. At least not for the first bottle. A six pack lasts a while.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Mexican beer has improved vastly from the old standards such as Negro Modelo or Bohemia. Found this excellent beer earlier this week- hopefully it stays available, Tastes like a Burton ale, but hecho in Monterrey, Mexico. May I present to you: Ocho Reales..!

IMG_20150516_060904.jpg

Dinner was Stone Cali-Belgique IPA.  OK, but not wonderful, not one of my favorite Stone bottles.  Still waiting to try Ruination version 2.

• 1 month later...

Tonight, with pork satay, Stone Thirteenth Anniversary.  Unfortunately it was a large bottle and I couldn't quite finish it.  Well, maybe I could have, but I did not want to be sick.

• 2 weeks later...

Accompanied by a sous-vide Sabrett and mustard, last night was finally Ruination 2.0.  My purveyor had gotten it in the day before!  Very bright hoppy flavor.  I enjoyed Ruination 2.0 immensely.  But for some reason never got around to posting about it after dinner.

As a public service my intention was to compare Ruination 2.0 next to Ruination 1.0, although that had to wait.

After a BBQ in the prevailing heatwave in southern Germany something refreshing from a colder climate: Galway Hooker IPA (that's Irish Pale Ale). Weak in alcohol (4.3%) but surprisingly fruity and strongly hopped. A good beer for a hot Sunday evening ...

Edited: too lazy to fix image orientation.

image.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)

Scottish strong ale from Oskar Blues Brewery. I had this at a restaurant in Nashville and really enjoyed it.  According to their website it is not available in OK but is available in the Wichita area. Fortunately, I'm visiting a friend in Manhattan KS in a couple weeks and will go through Wichita! From their website: brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt. Old Chub features semi-sweet flavors of cocoa and coffee, and a wee-bit of smoke. A head-turning treat for malt heads and folks who think they don’t dig dark beer.

IMG_20150629_121506_640.jpg

• Like 1

Tonight while waiting for my sous vide hotdog to warm up I stated on a bottle of Ruination 2.0.  I contrast to my earlier post I thought the Ruination 2.0 by itself was a bit much.  However with food tonight it was delightful.

• 4 weeks later...

Evil twin even more Jesus

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 4 months later...

Just opened a Sam Adams Merry Maker that I have been saving for 2 years.  So good, think dates, molasses, a hint of chocolate.  Pours dark with a creamy head that disappeared fairly quickly. THis bottle was 2 years old and compared to when it was new has benefted very much from the bottle aging.  I have a bottle of Even More Jesus that I am aging for next year along with a 4 pack of Christmas Eve in a New York City Hotel Room.  Looking forward to next Christmas already.  Now I'm looking for a 4 pack of Mustang Udderly Awesome, a milk Stout with peanut butter .  Hopefully it isn't compeletly sold out everywhere.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

A local brew, with hopes of a canning operation. I am happy with the size they are now and bring my empty growlers to be filled every other week. I got the Pine, resin and bakers chocolate in this black IPA. I had it with smoked pork ribs and slaw. Quite good, but I like their APA, 8 Days a Week better. It just wasn't on the board on my recent visit.Mug.jpgBeer 

I pulled out a 9+ month old bottle of Lagunitas Olde GnarlyWine last night.  So good.  I never seem to be in the mood for a big barley wine, but Gnarlywine's relatively low ABV of 10.6% makes it quite drinkable (even in a 22 ounce bomber bottle).  It seemed like a session ale compared to the Dogfish Higher Math I had last week (17% ABV).  Look for Grarlywine this February/March and stock up - it is tasty and reasonably priced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I took advantage of a sunny day to have a more summery beer before moving on to more hearty ales.

20161212_165927.jpg

Not being a much of a hop-head, I didn't like most of the Brewdog's beers I had so far. Therefore I was very happy with this one, very flavorful and fruity, though I tastes more passion fruit than grapefruit.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

I paid a visit to my favorite local brewery yesterday, hoping for at least one of my favorites. Their Facebook page for the day before listed 2 of them, This side of Paradise (DIPA) and World @ Large (APA). Much to my chagrin, they were out of both when I arrived. I returned home with empty growlers, and a heavy heart.

https://www.facebook.com/BeerdBrewing/

HC

IMG_0604.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Started with a The Dudes Peach Berliner Wiesse at the Dust Bowl Lanes, then a Six Point Global Warmer at The Fur Shop and finished the evening at American Solera with a Money Blend 2.  

A new beer from a local brewery. This is described as a "milk and honey" beer - the milk being lactose and honey is honey. I expected a golden-colored beer, but it poured dark and headless. It tasted quite sweet, like a belgian triple, but with smoky-burnt notes from the dark malt. I couldn't tell the honey in it. It was OK but boring.

20161229_214418.jpg

Edited by shain (log)

~ Shai N.

Lets see if I remember, Monday was pint night at McNellies and the feature was Guinness Draught, I remember when this was such a special  beer; not so much anymore.  THen there was the Terpy Citra at American  Solera and the man-made Earthquake, Excellent.  The Dudes Peach Berliner Wiesse was on tap at Dust Bowl Lanes and is an excellent beer for hot days, Saturday afternoon we got hit at the liquor store later in the afternoon so I forgot to take anything home.  I thought about pulling out one of my Evil Twin Christmas Eve in a New York City Hotel Room or a Prairie Ales Wine Barrel Noir (3 years in the bottle and drinking fabulous) but didn't.