• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

clarity

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At what temperature should Duvel optimally be served?  The ale, that is.  Tell me and I'll tell you what I'll be drinking.

@Duvel - I think you're the authority here 

I actually don't know the answer but I'll give one in ignorance anyway bc I like dark beers and bc I'm bored with nothing better to do and possibly being wrong and embarrassing myself doesn't matter bc this is online world 

My guess is that drinking it at room temperature ( 70 F) will bring out the flavor but if it tastes too bitter then you don't want that much flavor and refrigerating it at under (40F) is better since it masks the bitter taste 

I would drink it after refrigerating it (to bring down bitterness) 

Can I guess that you are drinking Duvel? I tried it once but I believe it's an ale that tried to be a light lager bc light lagers were trendy at the time it was first produced (many decades ago I'm assuming) and Duvel wanted to sell its beer to the masses etc. So that might be why it's color is light unlike porters and stouts (real beer). 

so I wasn't a fan of Duvel (no offense) bc it's like a dark ale that is trying to be a light lager 

happy drinking 

eugenep

eugenep

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At what temperature should Duvel optimally be served?  The ale, that is.  Tell me and I'll tell you what I'll be drinking.

@Duvel - I think you're the authority here 

I actually don't know the answer but I'll give one in ignorance anyway bc I like dark beers and bc I'm bored with nothing better to do and possibly being wrong and embarrassing myself doesn't matter bc this is online world 

My guess is that drinking it at room temperature ( 70 F) will bring out the flavor but if it tastes too bitter then you don't want that much flavor and refrigerating it at under (40F) is better since it masks the bitter taste 

I would drink it after refrigerating it (to bring down bitterness) 

Can I guess that you are drinking Duvel? I tried it once but I believe it's an ale that tried to be a light lager bc light lagers were trendy at the time and Duvel wanted the business. So that might be why it's color is light unlike porters and stouts (real beer). 

so I wasn't a fan of Duvel (no offense) bc it's like a dark ale that is trying to be a light lager 

happy drinking