• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Rye Whiskey (Part 2)

ChrisTaylor

[Host's note:  To avoid an excessive load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues from here]

I tried the Millstone 100 expression today. Stunning. A bit sweet on entry and then SPICE. Everything you know and love about rye squeezed into a single bottle.

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 2

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I tried the Millstone 100 expression today. Stunning. A bit sweet on entry and then SPICE. Everything you know and love about rye squeezed into a single bottle.

Indeed, marvelous stuff. And if you think that is good imagine the same rye at 10 years old and barrel proof at 117.2 proof!

Millstone barrel proof.jpg

A single barrel exclusive bottling from The Whisky Exchange. Unfortunately very spendy, especially when you add the expensive shipping to the US and I don't know if they have any left but it was everything the Millstone 100 was and a whole lot more!

• Like 4

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Indeed, marvelous stuff. And if you think that is good imagine the same rye at 10 years old and barrel proof at 117.2 proof!

attachicon.gifMillstone barrel proof.jpg

A single barrel exclusive bottling from The Whisky Exchange. Unfortunately very spendy, especially when you add the expensive shipping to the US and I don't know if they have any left but it was everything the Millstone 100 was and a whole lot more!

I didn't pick up a bottle when I had a chance yesterday and regret it. Will correct this misstep over the weekend. I think it was one of the best rye whiskies I've ever tasted. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 3 months later...

Just picked up my first bottle of Pikesville.  Not at $11.  $16 instead, but I am not complaining.  Quite nice!  I will not claim to be a connoisseur, but this hits the spot.  I will advise that my usual preferences run to Bourbons with high rye content rather than that which is normally classed as rye.

Not having to do with much of anything I'm having a glass of Whistlepig at the moment.  This is following a bowl of fresh pineapple.  Goes remarkably well.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just picked up my first bottle of Pikesville.  Not at $11.  $16 instead, but I am not complaining.  Quite nice!  I will not claim to be a connoisseur, but this hits the spot.  I will advise that my usual preferences run to Bourbons with high rye content rather than that which is normally classed as rye.

Did your bottle look like the one in this blog post? As you probably saw it is a young 3yo 80 proof rye (although I agree with the blog that for the price it was pretty decent). As Heaven Hill makes only one rye mashbill this is a younger lower proof version of Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

But Heaven Hill is about to make a big change in Pikesville Rye! It will soon become a swanky looking 6 year old rye that is bottled at 110 proof. Basically the older higher proof version of Rittenhouse BIB. Pretty much perfect for cocktails!

Of course it will now cost about $50... :angry:

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Did your bottle look like the one in this blog post? As you probably saw it is a young 3yo 80 proof rye (although I agree with the blog that for the price it was pretty decent). As Heaven Hill makes only one rye mashbill this is a younger lower proof version of Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

But Heaven Hill is about to make a big change in Pikesville Rye! It will soon become a swanky looking 6 year old rye that is bottled at 110 proof. Basically the older higher proof version of Rittenhouse BIB. Pretty much perfect for cocktails!

Of course it will now cost about $50... :angry:

Yes!  That's the bottle!

And that is very sad news....

Don't suppose anyone has any suggestions for a replacement?

Yes!  That's the bottle!

I am told from fairly reliable sources that a final decision on the fate of the original 3yo Pikesville rye has not been made yet by HH. I would be a little surprised if it hangs around but these days who knows? But if you like it I might think about stocking up if you can!

~tanstaafl2

Yes!  That's the bottle!

If you are looking for a young inexpensive rye as a replacement you might try Old Overholt. Also now a three year old rye, this one is from Beam. But they aren't exactly the same in taste. Maybe the 2yo Willett would suit you as well but it is typically more expensive at around $35 last time I looked.

~tanstaafl2

And I really think the quality of the new, younger Overholt isn't near as good as the previous, older iteration of Overholt (4 year).

I agree with that as well. Just doesn't seem to deal with its youth as well as the Pikesville Rye does. Or rather did?

~tanstaafl2

• 10 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:58 PM, weinoo said:

Anyone try this stuff on the right?

26829370061_b5c4e10b27_z.jpg

One of the many labels coming out of Terressentia in SC (although they recently bought the old Charles Medley distillery in Owensboro, KY which they renamed the O.Z. Taylor distillery). This is a company that buys whiskey (likely much of it young whiskey from MGP but who knows for sure?) and "treats" it with an ultrasonic process which it claims makes it taste like more mature whiskey. My few early dalliances with their brands suggest that it is not the least bit successful and still tastes like young raw whiskey. I have not had this particular version and I don't plan to do so.

• Like 1

~tanstaafl2

• 4 months later...

I'm enjoying a bottle (not all at once) of Whistlepig single barrel, barrel strength, 115.9 proof, 10 years.  Does not taste like marshmallows.

I'm not very good with tasting notes, but beyond an initial heat it leaves a most satisfying and complex flavor in the mouth.  Some people say they taste pepper in good rye but I can't say I do.  Something initially sharp and grassy, in a good way, but not pepper.  Followed by a faint hit of vanilla and something more.

Someone with a good gas chromatograph could check for pepper but that's not a piece of kitchen equipment that I have.  And I seriously doubt they'd find it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Well, I would have access to a GC (actually to quite some machines) and one of the largest compound spectra databases.

Care to send me a bottle ?

Most interesting!

Currently I'm reading my way through Carolyn Phillips' All Under Heaven.  She quotes an ancient* saying:

"Almost all of the world's ingredients can be found in eastern Guangdong, but the rest of the world does not necessarily have all of eastern Guangdong's ingredients."

Most amusingly I woke up dreaming about chromatography.  I was criticized for overloading a sample and the whole thing was taking far too long.  When the alarm went off I was reading the table of contents of an old textbook for a solution to the problem after searching though shelves and shelves of library.

I'd think you'd be looking for rotundone, by the way.

*If 1687 is considered ancient.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:53 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm enjoying a bottle (not all at once) of Whistlepig single barrel, barrel strength, 115.9 proof, 10 years.  Does not taste like marshmallows.

I'm not very good with tasting notes, but beyond an initial heat it leaves a most satisfying and complex flavor in the mouth.  Some people say they taste pepper in good rye but I can't say I do.  Something initially sharp and grassy, in a good way, but not pepper.  Followed by a faint hit of vanilla and something more.

Someone with a good gas chromatograph could check for pepper but that's not a piece of kitchen equipment that I have.  And I seriously doubt they'd find it.

I find many ryes to be "earthy" (my personal and rather nebulous term for the flavor I find in a lot of older ryes) rather than peppery while some (MGP for instance) tend to run towards a dill pickle/herbal range, especially relatively young. That Canadian groundhog from Vermont is of course generally older and has lots of that lovely earthy and yes, grassy at times, character to me. Pepper, not so much!

~tanstaafl2

• 1 month later...

The Times today reports on a blind tasting panel -- including our beloved @Splificator -- Knob Creek came out on top.  Me, I can't believe spending $2400 on a rye.  For that one could get a nice bottle of rum or perchance a lovely wine.

Enjoying barrel strength Whistlepig at the moment.  Life could be far worse.  Reminiscent of my last bottle of Whistlepig, part way through the flavors really opened up.  It smells like butterscotch and tastes like mint.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Times today reports on a blind tasting panel -- including our beloved @Splificator -- Knob Creek came out on top.  Me, I can't believe spending $2400 on a rye.  For that one could get a nice bottle of rum or perchance a lovely wine.

Since you mentioned the price, I will add that the prices quoted for the bottles I'm most familiar with struck be as being on the high side.  I'm curious what others think.

I compared them with my local Total Wine store and to Hi-Time, where I place the occasional order. Below is the top 10 listing from that NYT article.  The first price is the one quoted in the article, followed by the prices at my local Total Wine (TW) and on Hi-Time's (HT) website as of today.  Some of the Hi-Times prices were marked as "sale" prices.

★★★ KNOB CREEK STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY 100 PROOF, $38  TW = $30.49  HT = $26.99

★★★ JIM BEAM PRE-PROHIBITION STYLE RYE 90 PROOF, $30 TW = $16.99  HT = $15.99

★★★ WOODFORD RESERVE DISTILLER’S SELECT RYE 90.4 PROOF, $45  TW = $35.49 HT = $26.99

★★★ NEW YORK DISTILLING COMPANY RAGTIME RYE 90.4 PROOF, $45 TW = N/A  HT = N/A

★★½ MICHTER’S U.S. 1 STRAIGHT RYE 84.8 PROOF, $44 TW = $39.99  HT = $36.99

★★½ BULLEIT 95 RYE FRONTIER WHISKEY 90 PROOF, $44 TW =  $19.49  HT = $21.99

★★½ FEW RYE WHISKEY 93 PROOF, $60 TW = N/A HT = $59.99

★★½ (RI)1 STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY 92 PROOF, $32 TW = $49.99  HT = $47.99

★★ CATOCTIN CREEK ROUNDSTONE RYE SINGLE BARREL 80 PROOF, $45 TW - N/A  HT = $45.99

★★ RITTENHOUSE STRAIGHT RYE 100 PROOF, $25 TW = $24.99  HT = $21.99

The (rī)1 was the outlier, being significantly more expensive at my local outlets. 

Edited to add that the star ratings are from the NYT article

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

Here is a link to the article.

I agree with Michter's and Bulleit being better than Rittenhouse for sipping. However Rittenhouse is great in cocktails (I prefer it to Bulleit, for sure), plus it's reasonably priced, so it definitely has a spot in my home bar. I tried Few for the first time a few weeks ago and felt that it had an unusual flavor profile, but was very good too. I had Knob Creek once or twice but never on its own, so I can't really rate it in relationship to the others, but it makes a great Manhattan. What I note is that all their selections vary between 2 and 3 stars, so it's not much of a spread. Nothing got the maximum of 4 stars, maybe because the tasting focused on "young ryes". They mention Redemption and Dickel; it'd be interesting to know what else they tried in the tasting that didn't make the top 10...

• Like 4