• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Rye Whiskey (Part 2)

ChrisTaylor

• 3 weeks later...
On December 16, 2018 at 9:50 PM, Vapre said:

What's a good everyday sipping bargain bottle these days?

I've been impressed with Wild Turkey recently.  Decent rye at under $20 and their 101 bourbon is really showing well these days 

9 hours ago, lindag said:

My state liquor store no longer stocks Wild Turkey Rye...I don't know why.

I was disappointed because I always used it in my hot winter drinks.

Obviously you didn't buy enough.  I don't think I've ever seen Wild Turkey on the rye shelves.  If I did I might well give it a try.  It hasn't gotten cold enough here yet to start going through my stash of Whistlepig.

Can they special order Wild Turkey for you?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

Apparently not.  I'm sure their very helpful staff would have offered.

I'm not sure the laws, will Montana allow shipments from other states?  I note Astor Wines in NY will not ship to Montana.  Good as it is the 21st Amendment is not perfect.  Do you have a gun?

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm not sure the laws, will Montana allow shipments from other states?  I note Astor Wines in NY will not ship to Montana.  Good as it is the 21st Amendment is not perfect.  Do you have a gun?

I do not.  I am opposed to guns even though everyone else here seems to own several.

Actually, when we moved here our new house had no deadbolts.  My husband insisted that we have them installed.

I asked the locksmith why no-one had deadbolts.  He said it was because everyone owns guns!

15 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I've been impressed with Wild Turkey recently.  Decent rye at under $20 and their 101 bourbon is really showing well these days 

Are they still watering it down? I have a small stash of the old 101 which is entirely acceptable but I don't see much point in 80 proof rye.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I do not.  I am opposed to guns even though everyone else here seems to own several.

Attempt at humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

Are they still watering it down? I have a small stash of the old 101 which is entirely acceptable but I don't see much point in 80 proof rye.

Nor do I.  The 80 was an old expression.   But yeah the 81 is a bit lacking 

I just think WT has been turning out better whiskey these days.  Eddie is doing good things and the proof is in the bottle ;)

• Like 1

I kinda like the George Dickel, and Sazerac is still pretty damn good.

I have a stash of Pikesville, that I accrued on my drives back and forth to DC, at the state line liquor store right over the Maryland border on I95. Stuff was like $11 a bottle.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

Here are a few bottles of Rye Whiskey 🥃 that I have collected so far, that is to my own personal taste.

Definitely don’t consider myself an expert on “any type of whiskey, spirits, etc.” just from what I have tried out.

Still have to get a few other Rye Whiskies  🥃  that are currently on my list to try out.

Old Fashion cocktails are one of my favorite cocktails to enjoy and I feel that the best type of Old Fashion made is with a good Rye Whisky 🥃 

A5798B84-BA6C-4FBA-8500-4659A4326D6A.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Smooth (log)
  • Like 1