• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Nicolas Escudero Heiberg

Infusions, Extractions & Tinctures at Home: The Topic (Part 2)

[Host's note:  To avoid an excessive load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues from here]

Hey all, fascinating read./Apologies if this is not the right place to post my question, but it is my second post on the forum.

Planning on infusing some Thai chillies and some rosemary into vodka (2/separate infusions). I have an isi whip and N20 cartridges. I have 2/questions.

A) anyone have recommendations on how much chili/rosemary I should infuse

B) Any recommendations on recipes for the infused vodkas?

Many thanks!

Edited by lesliec Added host's note (log)

I've done a zillion iSi infusions now.

Put a decent handful of chilis, but go sparing on the rosemary. Infused rosemary tends to taste weird.

Recipes, no, just go crazy, it's super easy!

Note - do not EVER infuse mastic resin/tears in an iSi - you will ruin it. Ask me how I know...

• Like 1

Thanks Hassouni... I tried with a handful (4) of chillies and about 200 ml of kettle 1. I chopped it up finely to increase surface area and put the whole shebang (seeds and all) in the siphon. Shook and left for two minutes. That stuff came out so spicy it's virtually unusable.

What did I do wrong?

Either too high chile:vodka ratio or too long of an infusion time.

Try with lower ratio, or try infusing for far less time, say 30 seconds.

One of my favorite local bars does Thai chile-infused vermouth and they do a whole bottle of vermouth with about as many chiles as you describe. They do a traditional infusion, only about 24 hours. If a few minutes in an iSi is the equivalent to a few days or weeks of traditional infusion, you'll have to infuse on the scale of seconds, not minutes.

Also, Dave Arnold has a video on youtube about it, where he does jalapeños and tequila - it's also for not very long, and remember Thai chiles are much hotter

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

Just mix the too-hot vodka with plain vodka to the desired intensity -- either in the shaker or in a bigger bottle. I would think that chopping the chilis would release a lot of juice.

• Like 1

OK, cool. Thanks for the tip... And chile infused vermouth sounds amazing... What do they use it for?

A tequila martini, sort of, with a final spritz of mezcal

• Like 1

Today I've dried and stored safely away a respectable quantity of wormwood.

Once I find a decent recipe (suggestions welcome) and my Roman wormwood is a bit bigger, I shall report further on the home production of absinthe.

• Like 1

Lots of cool ideas and various techniques discussed in this article by Team Lyan. The Nuked Negroni has been on my list of things to try for a while now! I may have to make it the old fashioned way though (on the stove, or with a hot iron?!) since I lack a microwave.

https://punchdrink.com/articles/how-to-spirit-infusions-at-home-diy-team-lyan-london-cocktail-recipes/

Sign in to follow this