• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 7)

huiray

Yesterday I made Eric Ripert's recipe for roasted capon stuffed with mushrooms and truffles.  It was very tasty.  Served with mashed potatoes, shredded brussels sprouts, and whisky-glazed carrots.  Leftovers were made into a bunch of stock that will be made into a chicken stew or soup for after the football game this afternoon.

capon.jpg

• Like 13

Sartoric, I love your crumb-catcher :)  I almost asked where you got such lovely tomatoes and then I saw where you live.  Summer time for you!

Steve, lovely looking plate of seafood.

LiamsAunt, nice looking chicken.

Did some more pasta last night.  Froze the rest.

PC261021.JPG.2ffb23cd3e2a1f20ca22a178409

Wanted some pizza too.....tis the season for excess, right?

PC261024.JPG.e4e83c34aed63cb5fe688942e8a

PC261025.JPG.65e45fec3126c1dbe98664ae3c1

• Like 12

So many wonderful Holiday meals.   Liamsaunt, that has to be one of the best looking roast chickens I've ever seen. 

Our holiday meals.

Tourtiere%20Christmas%20Eve%201-L.jpg

Our Traditional Christmas Eve dinner.

Tourtiere%20Christmas%20Eve-L.jpg

Tourtiere

Chateaubriand%20Christmas%20Dinner%20Dec

Chateaubriand rather than turkey for this year's Christmas dinner. 

Chateaubriand%20Christmas%20Dinner%20Dec

Cooked on the grill and served with home-made Bearnaise sauce.

English%20Trifle%20December%2025th%2C%20

And for dessert - English Trifle. An old favourite. Been making this Trifle for almost 40 years. 

Started Christmas Eve day, baking the cake and making the custard and assembling so all the custard, sherry and cake had time to meld.

• Like 22

22 hours ago, sartoric said:

A simple BLT with Swiss cheese, mustard and mayo.

The catcher of crumbs.

image.jpeg

Sandwich looks wonderful, but the crumbcatcher is great!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kind of and old school supper tonight.  Pan fried chicken like my mom used to make.  The fryer was sectioned into 11 pieces plus the liver.  As kids we would fight to get the pulley bone.    The chicken turned out really well for not being fried in an avocado green electric skillet!  The jalapeno cornbread incorporated leftover cheese grits and creamed corn with Indian style yogurt. I used three differnt pattern cast iron skillets with  generous doses of bacon renderings.  Peas, squash,mashed potatoes and pan gravy rounded out the menu.

rsP1040665.jpgrsP1040666.jpg

rsP1040667.jpg

• Like 14

Roast pork shank, yorkshire puds, red cabbage and gravy.  Only filled the popover pans 1/3 of the way full and rested the batter overnight.  Very light and hollow in the middle as they are supposed to be.  I started the pork shank in the little Cuisine Art Oven on steam-bake at 220F for 120 minutes then transferred to my Cadco Convection Oven at 475F until the crackling got crispy.

DSC01231.jpg

DSC01234.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01234.jpg

• Like 13

Last night's dinner resulted in food poisoning, so no pictures.  Not sure but I think it was the chicken.  Not much else it could have been.  Today I have been nursing my constitution on ice cream and peanuts.  Tonight (that is in a few minutes) when I finish my mai tai I plan a late supper of leftover Portuguese beef stew.

Not sure what I'll do with the other half of chicken.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23940765191_c26a43c987_z.jpg

Rancho Gordo "Yellow Indian Woman" bean soup.  Warm shrimp salad with avocado and greens. I often use the avocado in lieu of

adding any oil to the salad, by smashing some of it up as I toss the greens and citrus or vinegar. Works nicely.

Shrimp were steam broiled in the Steam Girl.

The Manzanilla En Rama went nicely with this stuff.

• Like 15

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Okanagan, I assume you kept the popover batter in the fridge over night.  Did you bring it to room temp then?  They look wonderful.  I will try the overnight method.

Weinoo,  beautiful beans and salad.  

Scamhi, ohhhhhh that egg is perfect.

More oysters :)

PC271027.JPG.0918ab641439fff0f6db64e882a

PC271029.JPG.0ae633d01686c2add7b9ed45176

Oyster stew (with a bit of crab and shrimp thrown in).  Put a bit of spinach in, too, cause I'm rebellious like that.

PC271028.JPG.0aca6e72f50d9b6a93626a00216

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 8

Shelby, I read the Serious Eats link to the perfect yorkshire pud that Norm kindly posted.  I made the batter and put it in the fridge overnight.  About 4 hours before I cooked the batter it was taken out of the fridge.  I added a little cold water as per Elaine Lemm's recipe (I used her recipe), gave it a whisk, heated the beef fat to smoking, filled the cups and they were done in about 13 minutes.  Really light and fluffy.  Yorkshire pud is pretty easy to make.  The only trick is the timing of the baking to coincide with when everything else is ready.  It's an impressive component to a meal.

Those oysters look fantastic.   I don't buy them here, too far from the ocean.

• Like 1

Minimalist Charcoal Rotisserie Chicken

chicken.jpg

• Like 9

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

When you have a nice bird, it's true, just cook it and let the meat shine.  Nice.  Looks like a "big'in", 5 to 6 lbs?

Yeah, a bit over 5 pounds. :smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Chicken marylands roasted on a bed of red onion, lemon, garlic and herbs. With tomatoes.

Served with roasted potatoes, butternut pumpkin and carrots, plus a side of sautéed cabbage and bacon.

Pan juices enhanced with stock and a little cream.

image.jpeg

Details here -

https://www.facebook.com/Whats-for-dinner--1427021760943871/

• Like 11

Couple of simple meals.

Vegetarian buns (bao) from the Chinese food stall (Tianjin) inside Saraga International Grocery 1 (Indianapolis).

Lotus leaf wrapped glutinous rice w/ pork & shiitake mushroom filling, from Asia Mart (Indianapolis).

DSCN7601-03_C_800.jpg.4652b08f708cb34bd2

DSCN7606-11_C_800.jpg.e8d9e6b406b88c8c0e

Fried rice – Blazing hot oil, chopped de-stringed celery, chopped Chinese chives, 3 eggs scrambled in situ, 2-day-old rice, sea salt.

Eaten w/ leftover takeout Cajun dry rub chicken wings (see here).

DSCN7620a_800.jpg.3295d3eea48a66aa964054

• Like 8

There's been a recipe floating around Facebook for baked ham and cheese sandwiches with a sweet-savory sauce. I saw a version using prepared pizza dough from the dairy case that tweaked my interest, so I made up a half-recipe of olive oil bread from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day, let it sit in the fridge overnight, and started out.

5682a08e5339f_doughnham.JPG.5a57b122d2cb\

First step was to roll the dough out about a half-inch thick, and cover with a pound of leftover Christmas ham, sliced into strips.

5682a0c906036_withcheese.JPG.326f9c17d76

Then covered with sliced Swiss cheese.

ham n cheese, rolled n sliced.JPG

The whole thing rolled up and then sliced into one-inch slices.

5682a11660c60_hamncheesereadytobake.JPG.

After rising for an hour, topped with a sauce of melted butter, Worcestershire, honey mustard and brown sugar.

5682a146b270a_hamncheesebaked.JPG.731bd0

Hot from the oven. Sauce could've done with a bit less brown sugar, but very good, nevertheless.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Korean BBQ chicken. Soy sauce, gochujang, brown sugar, bourbon, garlic, ginger and rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. Marinated overnight. Cooked on the rotisserie for 2 1/2 hrs at 350 F.

Korean BBQ Chicken.jpg

Edited by HungryChris
sesame oil added to marinade and baste sauce (log)
  • Like 10